• 4chan is an 18+ website, and as such we do not want to expose our underage users to that site.

You may post screen shots and text from 4chan, but direct linking to the site or its archival sites is not allowed.

Thanks.

Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
No hard feelings
Reaction score
All very cute designs! I like them!

Dropping the starter's names in other languages for reference, in Grass/Fire/Water order:

German: Chimpep, Hopplo, Memmeon

French: Ouistempo, Flambino, Larméléon

Japanese: サルノリ (Sarunori), ヒバニー (Hibunny), メッソン (Messon)

What I've noticed about the Japanese names:

Sarunori = saru (monkey)
Hibunny = hi (fire) + bunny
Messon = mesomeso (sobbing)

King of Planet Panthera
Reaction score
Grass or Water for me. Bunny looks way too cartoonish and goofy, almost like a pokemon version of Bugs Bunny. But of course, these are just first impressions. Their mid and final stage evos could change my choice.

Reaction score
Sobble is the one that made me say "Cuuute!" out loud, so I'd say it's my favorite so far. I'm usually more of a fire starter fan, but maybe not this time.

~Let there be...light~
Reaction score
So Scorbunny's name is basically it's Japanese name...interesting.

Also, inb4 Sobble's face becomes the new "Pikachu what" face.

Reaction score
I'll take Sobble. So far I have not been disappointed by the Water starters and I doubt it will start now.

~Let there be...light~
Reaction score
It looks like the fandom has quickly coined "Sobble Gang" as the term for Sobble fans.

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
Oh my God!!! Just look at those Starters!!!

Thanks, I hate them.

I'll pick Grookey. But I'm not happy about it.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I think that Grookey will become Grass/Rock, Scorbunny will become Fire/Poison, and Sobble will become Water/Dragon.

Gone batty.
Reaction score
Definitely taking Sobble. It's cute, and I liked how it camouflaged itself in water in the trailer.
As for my thoughts on them...
[Scorbunny appears in the trailer, ears first]
Huh, those ears of his look a bit like Torchic's feathers.
[Sobble appears in the trailer, fin first]
Wow, that fin resembles Torchic's feathers, too.
[Grookey appears in the trailer]
...WHAT THE HELL WHY DO THOSE LEAVES LOOK LIKE TORCHIC. WHY DO THEY ALL LOOK LIKE A FREAKIN' TORCHIC. WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING HERE ;-;

...Aaand I can't be the only one who thought about this after seeing Grookey's name.

Reaction score
Scorbunny, no contest. It’s so cute...and I have a good feeling it’s final evolution will be Fire/Fairy.

Reaction score
Sobble is cute for a lizard... Urgh IDK, I'm not into lizards...

Scorbunny is cute. I'm digging the pore strip. Hope it evolves into fire fairy!

Grookey has got to be the weakest starter design ever...

~Let there be...light~
Reaction score
There should be a poll here so we can vote! :D

Super Moderator
Reaction score
All of these starters are really cute and great. Scorbunny is my favorite, followed by Grookey for second. Sobble is still cute and I like it, but I think that I like Grookey and Scorbunny's designs a bit more. I am looking forward to getting all three starters as plush toys. I also hope that there won't be massive backlash/hate towards Sobble or really any of the starters like there was for Oshawott and Popplio. I always thought that those reactions were pretty harsh, especially when Oshawott and Popplio turned out to be my favorite starters from their respective generations. It might be too early to tell, but I haven't seen a lot of hate for one particular starter, so that's neat.

Right now, I could definitely see myself with Scorbunny and Grookey as my starters, but it really does depend on what their evolve forms look like. Since we've avoided the Fire/Fighting starter two generations in a row, I hope that will continue with Scorbunny. Becoming Fire/Fighting might not turn me off Scorbunny completely since it could still have a cool design, but it would be a bit disappointing. I'm not sure what I could see any of the starters evolving into right now. I like the idea of Fire/Fairy or Fire/Steel for Scorbunny and Water/Poison for Sobble would be interesting.

Go listen to The Birdwatcher's Guide to Atrocity
Reaction score
They're all just big ovals with limbs...

Has a set of Starters ever been so bodily similar and simplistic? Last time, we got a circular owl next to a realistic cat and a realistic sea lion. They were immediately distinct from one another. Same for Gen 6, and Gen 5...

Pokemon Researcher
Reaction score
It's been a couple hours and I've had some time to go over the starters. So far myself, I'm on Team Grookey, but this is subject to change with evolutions. At first it was only Grookey who I really liked, but now that I've seen more art of all 3 of them, I do really like them all, they've grown on me a lot.