• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
What do you think people will think of the middle evolutions?

Sometimes they look ugly and the final evolution is pretty cool and looks nothing like it. Like Dartrix.

So it might be misleading to change your mind about the starters based on the middle forms.

Sometimes they look ugly and the final evolution is pretty cool and looks nothing like it. Like Dartrix
I’m sorry, did you just use Dartrix as an example of an ugly middle starter? Now with Pignite or Croconaw for example, I could understand, but Dartrix looks fabulous ;-;

I feel like the middle evolutions have been, for the most part, unimpressive. There are some exceptions IMO, and those exceptions being:
  • Quilava
  • Bayleff
  • Charmeleon
  • Wartortle
  • Ivysaur
  • Grovyle
  • Marshtomp
and uhhh that's pretty much it. I don't really pay much attention to them because they aren't always indicative of what final evolutions may look like.

I have mixed feelings on Dartrix, but honestly it's warming up to me over time. =P

And yeah the whole Torracat --> Incineroar thing is exactly why I'm saying that middle evolutions aren't always indicative of final evos. Sometimes it's obvious; like the whole Snivy line is just a snake evolving into a bigger snake, but other times it's not always that way. So even if/when middle evos are revealed, they should be taken with a grain of salt anyway.

Prediction:

Grookey:
I think it will become the slow, more muscular starter for the simple reason that I think the sleek and fast guy will be Scorbunny's final evolution and we don't need two of them in one generation. Not as slow as Torterra, but about the same or a bit faster than Chesnaught. A buffy Gorilla Pokemon is something we still need. Something like a silverback with a brutal Attack stat (the highest out of all final Starter evolution) Slow but deadly. Mediocre defense. Typing would be Grass + Steel, Rock or what I fear Fighting. Steel could be possible if the final evolution is based on a Silverback because the silver in the name could indicate Steel. Rock would be also good. Both typing would compensate the mediocre defense stats. Rock is also somehow teased in the trailer (Stick drumming on a rock/stone)

Scorbunny:
Based on a bunny which I think will mean a speedy sleeky Pokemon with bad defense and high attack. Could end up being some kind of kicker Pokemon (similiar to Blaziken). Stats similiar to Infernape but with a higher speed, worse defense. Fire/Fighing is the main concern of me, but I hope for Fire/Fairy or especially Fire/Steel. Latter would immensly push the defense capabilities and balance out the bad defense stats. Steel is also teased in the trailer (Scorbunny walking up some wheels made of iron/steel)

Sobble:
Will probably look similiar to Swampert or ends up being quadruped (Imagine it looking like Aurorus, but a bit sleeker). The special attacker here with an also high special defense. Not as slow as slow as Grookey's final evolution (about 80-90 speed). Ghost was teased in the trailer when Sobble came out of the water (looks like he was tarning as water -> Typical for chameleons), but the whiny and shy characteristic of Sobble could lead up it becoming Dragon (like Goomy). So either Water/Ghost or Water/Dragon.

Also another possibility I think could happen would be a triangle of secondary types effective and being weak against another, which would be Fighting (Grookey), Steel (Sobble) and Fairy (Scorbunny). Scorbunny gaining Fairy and Grookey gaining Fighting is something I can totally see. For Sobble not so, but based on some fanarts I saw it's definitely possible.

I get what you mean, but I'm still holding out hope for Grookey to be fast. We haven't had a fast Grass starter since Serperior, and that one weirdly didn't have a great stat to attack with (without contrary). So the last, and only, fast grass starter that could really take good advantage of its speed was Sceptile.

Also, Delphox (104) and Greninja (122) both had good speed, and last gen all of them had bad speed (Incineroar and Primarina even had the same speed stat iirc).

Man, Decidueye really should've had a decent speed tier. Like at least 90.

It is very annoying when the middle evolution actually looks better than the final evolution.

Like Gabite > Garchomp, for instance. I know they are not starters, but still.

A starters example would be Ivysaur > Venusaur

personally, I prefer Cyndaquil/Quilava over Typhlosion, but that's just me. I wasn't a fan of going from cute --> cute --> fierce. Too much of an abrupt change for me. =P

I don't know if we're going to get the same with the current starters. I just hope they stay cute for the final evolution, but I lean more towards cute than badass/fierce, anyway.

I kinda see Sobble heading in the general direction of Cute/Timid -> Fierce final form. I think it'll be alright so long as it makes sense conceptually. Cyndaquil & the Johto starters didn't really have a "theme" going on like starters do nowadays.

Random opinion: If the Johto starters ever receive megas, then I suggest Feraligatr revives that caveman pelt Croconaw randomly had for no reason.

I kinda see Sobble heading in the general direction of Cute/Timid -> Fierce final form. I think it'll be alright so long as it makes sense conceptually. Cyndaquil & the Johto starters didn't really have a "theme" going on like starters do nowadays.

Random opinion: If the Johto starters ever receive megas, then I suggest Feraligatr revives that caveman pelt Croconaw randomly had for no reason.

No thanks on the pelt. I want Mega-Feraligator to be the most horrific Pokemon in the Pokemon world. Give him a legit “I will kill you, your family and your dog” kind of look. I don’t want any kind of “cuteness” whatsoever. Make him death incarnate, even if the stats don’t back it up. GF mucked up Charizard’s mega’s(he could have turned into the baddest Pokémon of all time had they done things right), correct the mistake with Feraligator. Give me my Destroyer of Worlds.

Feminine Grookey confirmed :p

I get what you mean, but I'm still holding out hope for Grookey to be fast. We haven't had a fast Grass starter since Serperior, and that one weirdly didn't have a great stat to attack with (without contrary). So the last, and only, fast grass starter that could really take good advantage of its speed was Sceptile.

Also, Delphox (104) and Greninja (122) both had good speed, and last gen all of them had bad speed (Incineroar and Primarina even had the same speed stat iirc).

Man, Decidueye really should've had a decent speed tier. Like at least 90.

I can understand you but looking at those starter, it's pretty obvious that Scorbunny is gonna be the speedy one and looking back at the past generations there there was a sleeky speedy Pokemon, a not so fast one and a slowy tanky looking one (except for Gen 7, where all the starter just were slow). I doubt they're going for two fast and sleeky looking Pokemon, but that doesn't mean that a more buffy looking Grookey evolution could be slow as my previous post was just a prediction and maybe Grookey still will get a speed BST of around 100 or so like Delphox.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom