• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
I would, especially if it ends as a speedy attacker. Also, Fire/Fighting is not a bad type by any mean. It covers the issues against Rock-types, including the dreaded Stealth Rock, and Fire and Fighting are excellent offensive types with high-powered moves (Fire Blast / Flare Blitz and Close Combat / High Jump Kick).

It’s just frowned upon because it has been used on fire starters for three successive generations, and only starters. I bet people wouldn’t hate the typing as much if a non-starter Pokémon got it or something.

Unless all the Fire/Fighting Pokémons get cut off of in Galar, I would be pretty bummed if we got yet another Fire/Fighting. Delphox line was a breath of fresh air. Incineroar is Fire/Dark, but you can't deny the wrestling Pokémon still gives off a pretty intense aura of Fire/Fighting :/

Does anyone have a theory on why we have so many fire/fighting starter pokemon?

I always thought that part of it had to do with gen 3 and 4 having Rock-type gyms as the first gym? I know there are other options available in early Hoenn and Sinnoh to counter rock-types, but maybe Game Freak wanted to ensure nobody was stuck in a Charmander vs. Brock type situation for gym 1 again. No idea about how Tepig would fit in with this though.

Or perhaps it's just a coincidence that they chose starters whose designs are derived from warriors or fighters.

If Scorbunny turns into a fighter or fighter-like Pokemon, I'm definitely jumping ship and joining Team Sobble.

The only way to not lose 50%/25% of HP because of stealth rock is by giving the fighting or the ground type , but the ground type will give water type pokemon a big advantage
Um no, the only way for a Fire to not be weak to Stealth Rock is to be paired with Fighting, Ground, or Steel. But being paired to Ground or Steel gives it a 4x weakness. But I don't think this answers his question.

Does anyone have a theory on why we have so many fire/fighting starter pokemon?
There's not many choices for Fire to be paired without giving a 4x without ruining the type triangle. For example, Fire/Poison is nice, but has a 4x to Ground.

However, I should say a lot of Grass typings have a 4x weakness, so that doesn't answer the question either (Torterra, Chesnaught, all have a 4x weakness).

But GF doesn't give much Fighting types in the primary typing, so it's no surprise we see a lot of it in the 2ndary typing.

All of these comments makes me inclined to believe the Fire-Typing is inherently flawed competitively if it has to be paired with such a limited selection such that they aren't 4x weak to X Type or Y Type. :confused:

All of these comments makes me inclined to believe the Fire-Typing is inherently flawed competitively if it has to be paired with such a limited selection such that they aren't 4x weak to X Type or Y Type. :confused:
Fire types have the 2nd more resistances next to Steel, so it isn't a bad type.

I'm still hoping for a Grass/Fire type, or a Rotom-tutor.

You know how I can tell you're prejudiced against me?

I purposely pointed out the flaw in my argument right after making it, which is what you just did. Sometimes you gotta make a typo to see if others care to point it out.
You automatically assumed bad faith?

I'll admit I didn’t notice that you mentioned it already and I apologise for that. No need to assume motives or 'people are prejudiced against' someone for a simple mistake.

But that ended the theory that starter Pokémon are Fire/Fighting to prevent giving them 4x weakness while making them not-weak to Stealth Rock.

The Monkey looks rad. So does the Frog. I hope these guys get unique typings like Grass/Rock, Grass/Ground, Grass/Fighting, Water/Ghost, Water/Psychic, or Pure Water.

You automatically assumed bad faith?

I'll admit I didn’t notice that you mentioned it already and I apologise for that. No need to assume motives or 'people are prejudiced against' someone for a simple mistake.
Well, that is of course the other argument you could make, is to say you didn't read the whole thing. But somehow if you ended up catching that, I thought you'd edit out your post or something later. But yes, that is the other possibility.

And of course the other thing (and this won't be your fault), is to give other people a chance to just click like on your post. -_-

Well, that is of course the other argument you could make, is to say you didn't read the whole thing. But somehow if you ended up catching that, I thought you'd edit out your post or something later. But yes, that is the other possibility.
Are you implying that the fact that I skimmed over that part of your post is made up and is an argument?

The fact that other starters have 4x weaknesses to is I felt should be pointed out as I was reading the conversation before your post. I was intending on posting that anyway. I quoted your post for it and it immediately got assumed in bad faith is something I regret, though.

As for editing the post, I closed the tab after making the post and didn’t get to it till I saw your quote.

Why are you so intent on assuming that it isn’t a simple mistake?

And of course the other thing, is to give other people a chance to just click like on your post. -_-

Wtf? Likes don’t even do anything here aside from a cosmetic leaderboard.

I don’t know why are you going full conspiracy theory mode on a one line post which I’ve apologised 2 times for not noticing your comment.
Any likes I can garner from this post will do literally nothing for my like-post ratio.

Edit: before you imply that the double post is a like gathering tactic I accidentally hit the post reply button on mobile while quoting the second part.

Are you implying that the fact that I skimmed over that part of your post is made up and is an argument?
Nah. That was the other possibility. That you just didn't finish reading my post. :/

That's obviously the risk I make. Assuming you read the whole thing. So yes, you can penalize me for making that risk.

Wtf? Likes don’t even do anything here aside from a cosmetic leaderboard.
Has to do with the person you're replying to, not the person making the post. -_-

Edit: to clarify, people liking your post has to do with the person you are replying to.

Ghost, poison, steel, electric, fairy and people still think we will get fire/fighting?
Give a break. I think fire/electric seeing water gym as second one.

Taking its a rabbit then bullet seed and grass knot against Drednaw also are possible. Flying move like Bounce.

But still the spark on the energy factory and the yellow battery symbol would suggest electric that will learn magnet rise and parabolic charge. Maybe even Energy Ball?

Last edited:
Probably because people are now comparing the new fighting Gym Leader to Scorbunny. Probably coincidental, but her ribbons kinda look like rabbit ears?

Sword Shield Bea.png
Scorbunny

I'm expecting nothing but disappointment anyways, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom