• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
one thing they need or should change in future is that Alola starters uniq Z-moves should have had all extra effects like rising speed or something
then the regular moves did. Moonassault(BP180), Sinister Arrow Raid (BP 180)and Oveanic Operetta(195BP) had a lot of power although.

On the other hand we got moves with power like Explosion and Self-destruct without the bad after affect but only could be used if your pokemon survived the first turn out.

Interesting if Galar starters get G-forms and what moves, will they be of their main typing or secondary typing?
Or wil they take the fate of Kalos starters without their own Megas?

So since the topic of Charizard came up recently and I couldn’t think of anywhere else to put this...

It’s weird that we haven’t gotten any mention of the Venusaur or Blastoise line yet. I know Charizard is “most popular Pokémon ever in IGN poll” but they usually go out of their way to show the three together at least once. It makes me wonder if maybe we’re getting a different grass and water starter for the Galar Dex.

So if you could pick a grass and water mon from gens 2-7 to complement Charizard in a pseudo-starter trio, which ones would you choose?

My thoughts would be Chesnaught (a knight to Charizard’s dragon) and Empoleon (a royal Pokémon and a preview for Sinnoh remakes a la Mega Blaziken). Another option would be Serperior and Feraligatr if they wanted 3 complementary “draconic” mons.

I do think that Pokémon's designers have a thing for bipedal fire starters. When I look back at Gen 5 and Gen 7, I can't believe that Tepig's line and Litten's line ended up being bipedal ones. Wild boars and tigers (cats too) are completely quadruped beings, so I was expecting that this bipedal trend among fire starters was going to end, but sadly I was wrong. I'm sure that Scorbunny's line will be another bipedal one. When I look at chinese horoscope's animals, it seems that what is left for fire starters is Bull, Sheep, Snake and Horse. I can't imagine a horse based pokémon being quadruped, so there's hope for the next genetarions.

This is what Emboar shoud look like:
Artist: WendieDragon

Another option would be Serperior and Feraligatr if they wanted 3 complementary “draconic” mons.
The most common “draconic starter trio” I’ve seen grouped is Charizard, Sceptile and Feraligatr, which kinda makes sense since two of them gain the dragon type thanks to Mega Evolution.

So after some time, I now feel comfortable with Scorbunny being pure Fire if it ends up that way. I mean sure it's hella underwhelming but it's not like it doesn't have utilities. I mean there's plenty of physical fire moves it can learn, and we already know it know plenty of fighting moves for coverage, maybe if we're lucky he can learn Trop Kick

So since the topic of Charizard came up recently and I couldn’t think of anywhere else to put this...

It’s weird that we haven’t gotten any mention of the Venusaur or Blastoise line yet. I know Charizard is “most popular Pokémon ever in IGN poll” but they usually go out of their way to show the three together at least once. It makes me wonder if maybe we’re getting a different grass and water starter for the Galar Dex.

So if you could pick a grass and water mon from gens 2-7 to complement Charizard in a pseudo-starter trio, which ones would you choose?

My thoughts would be Chesnaught (a knight to Charizard’s dragon) and Empoleon (a royal Pokémon and a preview for Sinnoh remakes a la Mega Blaziken). Another option would be Serperior and Feraligatr if they wanted 3 complementary “draconic” mons.

Serperior and Feraligatr in my opinion.

I am not sure they would do just one of gen 4's starters when the remake is coming up. If they include one, surely they would include the other two so one isn't getting more spotlight before the game even drops.

Anyone else considering not evolving their starter at all?

If the starters' final forms all look so bad I don't want to use any of them, I may just pass up playing the games. But if I do play anyway, then I'd likely box them. Evolving a Pokemon is so important to me that if I don't like its final form I won't want to use it at all.

I can't play without the starter, its the one thing thats always consistent about my team since firered in 2004. I like all their base stages but I want scorbunny. Having a bad evolution isn't enough for me to not use the starter. I gave my chespin an evolite and played through the game just fine. He learned wood hammer a lot eariler because of it xD

To be honest, I don't think there's ever been a time where I've hated my starter's final evo so much. Even if I didn't like it or was meh at the beginning, the designs usually end up growing on me. I didn't like Primarina's design at first, but still loved Popplio and chose it. And then Primarina's design grew on me to the point where now I love it. I think the only final starter evo now that I still can't bring myself to like is Incinaroar's, but even then I don't hate it as much as I used to.

I'm pretty sure that even if I don't like the starter evo designs at first, they'll probably grow on me, especially as I spend more time with them.

I never thought I'd like Incineroar as much as I do now. I didn't know what to think of him cause it felt so out of left field. But when I see him in action, in motion, I couldn't help but love the big guy.

There was one time I didn't like any starter's evolutions. That was XY and it just really disappointed me honestly. Luckily there was another set of starter pokemon close to the beginning of the game that I could use instead. I still didn't like doing that, because the starter pokemon of a game is something you are suppose to stick with. I am hoping this doesn't happen again. Any other time I liked at least one if not two.

Anyone else considering not evolving their starter at all?
It depends. Even if they're ugly, I suppose they just take some time getting used to.

This is coming from someone who quickly everstone'd her Dewott in White after being shocked and appauled at Wottrgate despite it being 6 or so months after the fact. But by the time I chose Oshawott again in Black 2, i just let it evolve all the way through since by that time I'd already stopped caring about how Samurott looked nothing like an otter.

I do think that Pokémon's designers have a thing for bipedal fire starters. When I look back at Gen 5 and Gen 7, I can't believe that Tepig's line and Litten's line ended up being bipedal ones. Wild boars and tigers (cats too) are completely quadruped beings, so I was expecting that this bipedal trend among fire starters was going to end, but sadly I was wrong. I'm sure that Scorbunny's line will be another bipedal one. When I look at chinese horoscope's animals, it seems that what is left for fire starters is Bull, Sheep, Snake and Horse. I can't imagine a horse based pokémon being quadruped, so there's hope for the next genetarions.

This is what Emboar shoud look like:
Artist: WendieDragon
View attachment 126426
remember they can create more tigers and pigs and I think ice/steel or ice/fight and ground/gras could make a return as regular pokemon.

maybe megas with different forms? always can find a solution to make the back more beast like...

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom