• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
To me... I don't know which of the three I like the most. Although their evolutions could go all over the place design-wise. I'll let them meld for a little bit before I pick a favorite.

I will say this, though: I was much more exited when the gen 7 starters were introduced. They actually had designs that made them feel iconic, while these gen 8 starters look too much borrowed from other Pokemon. Maybe its the way they each have headpieces that look so feather-like - so they share a similarity that breaks their contrast.

Then again, maybe it's just the grass-fire-water triad turning stale to me throughout the years.

As far as the contest between Grookey and Sobble goes, I prefer monkeys in general (they're so cute), and I like the mischievous personality that Grookey seems to have, but Sobble appears more unique with that camouflaging ability. I'm interested in seeing where it goes in its evolution.

Last edited:
Some people say that Scorbunny looks like football/soccer player.
Well. I've started thinking that the "bandages" are actually yellow cards that it sticks to itself because it doesn't understand how soccer works or they just get stuck to it because it's very staticy.

Scorbunny has my favorite design (it looks like Torchic!) but my least favorite name, both in English and Japanese. It sounds kinda awkward to have the full animal name at the end of it. Past generations just combined the first or last part of the word like Charmander or Turtwig.

Grookey and Sobble look fine. I'm excited for their final evolutions.

Well. I've started thinking that the "bandages" are actually yellow cards that it sticks to itself because it doesn't understand how soccer works or they just get stuck to it because it's very staticy.
It might also be grounding tape, which helps support the theory that it will become Fire/Electric.

They all look nice but it's too early for me to really make that commitment towards one of them yet. I'll need their final forms for this.

Scorbunny is probably my favourite of the three so far though. I hope this trend keeps up, the Fire starters haven't had anyone stick with me since Cyndaquil and it could do with some company.

I... don't really like any of them at all. To me, they just look like the generic idea of what a first stage Pokemon should be, without any standout traits. But that doesn't really matter until we get to their final forms, honestly.

(My husband also told me that Scorbunny looked too much like Chespin and I totally agree.)

Last edited:
Plot twist: Grookey ends up being the fast one. Scorbunny winds up as the bulky one.

I don't think that's much of a twist, it's a chimp, i dunno why it should be slow. Also we haven't had a fast Grass starter since snivy.
To be fair, Decidueye is the speedy option of the Alola trio. It just happens that that's not saying much.

To be fair, Decidueye is the speedy option of the Alola trio. It just happens that that's not saying much.
Honestly, I love Decidueye a lot, but it was so let down my its stats. It looks like it should be fast (like at least 100 base fast) but it just isn't.

I don't know why, but when I look at fanarts of starters my reaction is "They´re fine" but when the actual starters come out my reaction is "What? These look so weird! I'll never get used to this!". It has been that way since Gen 5, but I always get used to them eventually. Anyway, after a few hours I can safely say I like them all, and are possibly my favorite group since Gen 5.

-Groockey is very cute. I like that in order to differentiate it from other monkeys they gave it a baby gorilla look, pointy ears and tribal masks. Its stick is very intriguing and no doubt it will become something else when Groockey evolves. Its growing on me quickly.
-Scorbunny looks better in the video where its an energetic and proud bunny than in the artwork where it looks like a Chespin-Chimchar fusion. Its colors are nice and it represents its sports theme very well.
-Sobble still looks a bit weird to me, but that's likely to due its clear blue eyes as most starters have dark eyes. It gives me Froakie and Mudkip vibes, and that's good. It's cute, but it could do without the crying theme.

I liked all of them at first glance. With sun/moon I was kinda like "eh" then it took a few hours for the starters to grow on me, but wow I think our trio this gen is adorable

Design wise I feel like they're less "out there" in terms of shapes, colors, etc than the past 2 gens starters, if that makes sense?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom