• 4chan is an 18+ website, and as such we do not want to expose our underage users to that site.

You may post screen shots and text from 4chan, but direct linking to the site or its archival sites is not allowed.

Thanks.

Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
Nuzlocke Lover
Reaction score
I'm one of those 'I need to know the final evolution, before I decide" people

At the moment, I don't take a liking to Grookey. In most gens, I've never been a fan of the Grass starter.

Scorbunny is a wildcard. I'd like to hope that Fire starter far exceeds the others in popularity and design. This hasn't been the case, since Gen 3. It's either been average (Infernape, Incineroar) or bad (Emboar, Delphox).

Sobble is the safe pick. It's lizard design, give me Charizard and Sceptile vibes. I've got a feeling that its final evolution will resemble a Dragon type, but have a completely different typing.

All in all, it's a choice between Scorbunny and Sobble.
Hey! Emboar is my most favorite Fire starter at the moment with Delphox second.

Scorbunny might change all that though. I really hope so.

Reaction score
What is Sobble supposed to be? Edit: Never mind, I found out it was a water lizard.

Scorbunny is cute. I just hope they don't repeat their mistake with Bunnelby.

Last edited:
Pokémon: Gen 8.0 You Can (Not) Catch 'em All
Reaction score
I saw someone suggest Water/Ghost for Sobble's final typing. Frankly, I'm loving the idea. I imagine the camouflage gimmick would turn into straight-up invisibility?

Anyway, I'm dumb and came up with possible nicknames for these three. Here's what I'm planning to name them.
Grookey: Chimpani (Male, Chimp + Timpani), Calypso (Female)
Scorbunny: Axel/Accel (Male), Penelope (Female, from lop and Lupine)
Sobble: Slick, Splash or Cam (Male), Cammi/Camilla (Female)

Last edited:
Flame Trainer
Reaction score
If the theme is that loose does it really exist
All the fire starters have ended yo with connections to the zodiac in the Franchise’s 23 years and we’ve never got something completely unlinked like a bat or a spider.
Has to be a really huge coincidence...

It's either been average (Infernape,
HOW DARE YOU Infernape is the lord!
Infernape was average because all the starters at the time were GREAT!

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
All the fire starters have ended yo with connections to the zodiac in the Franchise’s 23 years and we’ve never got something completely unlinked like a bat or a spider.
Has to be a really huge coincidence...

HOW DARE YOU Infernape is the lord!
Infernape was average because all the starters at the time were GREAT!
You have to a moderate stretch for Fennekin and an extreme stretch for Cyndaquil.

Pokemon Researcher
Reaction score
Okay.... I am having the hardest time choosing between Grookey and Sobble, and honestly feel like it's going to be up to the evolutions for the deciding factor, which bugs the heck out of me because I want to know early on. But I guess that's just how this is going to work. I put Grookey in the poll, because that's the one i initially chose, but Sobble is also at that same level. They are just so freaking cute!!!!!

Purple Poison Pupa
Reaction score
Hmm...I think Scorbunny is really darned cute, but Grookey is a close second for me (and I could name the latter “Groot,” lol). Sobble looks like it could evolve into something really interesting, though. So my choice is up in the air until I learn more!

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
You have to a moderate stretch for Fennekin and an extreme stretch for Cyndaquil.
The way Gamefreak decides to categorise a Pokemon isn’t an extreme stretch.
‘Fire mouse’ indicates that GameFreak had ‘mouse’ as a part of the thought process atleast, making Cyndaquil a loose inspiration.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
The way Gamefreak decides to categorise a Pokemon isn’t an extreme stretch.
‘Fire mouse’ indicates that GameFreak had ‘mouse’ as a part of the thought process atleast, making Cyndaquil a loose inspiration.
Species categorization doesn't mean anything. Blastoise is called the "Shellfish Pokemon"and Bidoof is called the "Plump Mouse Pokemon", for example.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Species categorization doesn't mean anything. Blastoise is called the "Shellfish Pokemon"and Bidoof is called the "Plump Mouse Pokemon", for example.
It was mentioned before that Blastoise was a mistranslation.

They did not ask a robot to come up with categories. They were thought out so there must be some reason for the categories.

We’ve literally never had a fire starter totally disconnected to the zodiac in the 23 years of this franchise and if its a coincidence its a really huge one bordering on subconscious OCD on Gamefreak’s part.

~Let there be...light~
Reaction score
I fully expect Sobble to learn Camouflage within its first 15 levels.

El_

Reaction score
^ rotflmao that's almost too fitting.

I concur with the Zodiac theme. Cyndaquil & Fennekin are arguable, but Charmander, Torchic, Chimchar, Tepig, Litten, and now Scorbunny gives a literal 6:2 ratio, which is a bit high to not be intended.

In any case, I think the starter theme will be RPG classes again, but I hope I'm proven wrong bc I'd rather not the bunny become Fighting typed if it can be avoided, or they at least do something unique like how Incineroar was Fire/Dark rather than Fighting.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
To the people saying that we’ve to wait for Gen 9 to solve the debate: No, it’ll literally never happen. People said that the Gen 8 starter would not be from the fire zodiac, but it is and they bring up Fennekin and Cyndaquil again.

We could get 12 Generations of zodiac starters and people would still bring up Fennekin and Cyndaquil.

Long Lost Member
Reaction score
Depends on their evolutions and final typings, but I'm currently leaning towards Sobble!

Cursed image
...holy $#%! that's uncanny.

On the idea of themes, I saw a super cool theory earlier. Obviously Scorbunny is football/soccer/athletic themed. But then, they pointed out the choice to have Grookey knock its stick like playing a drum in the trailer, as well as Sobble's name including "Sob" and the prevalence of art/theatre in the UK. They proposed that Grookey will end up representing music, turning into a drummer and that Sobble will end up representing theatre, starting out as a tragic play and potentially going into other genres of theatre as it evolves. It might be a stretch but I still adore this theory and I hope it ends up being roughly the case at least (especially since that would make me like Sobble even more.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
But then, they pointed out the choice to have Grookey knock its stick like playing a drum in the trailer,
There's another uncanny thing about it. Knocking a cricket bat is something which sometimes is done by children in street cricket (not sure if professionals do this or not). And the British empire is responsible for spreading cricket and bringing it to prominence.

The trailer also had a sporty theme, the region is littered with stadium and the music often had audience applauses akin to spectator sports.

So, like how the Alolan trio was compared to a circus trio, this trio could end up being sport based, with Scorbunny being a footballer, Grookey bearing a cricket bat and not sure about Sobble but some have theorised water polo.

Long Lost Member
Reaction score
There's another uncanny thing about it. Knocking a cricket bat is something which sometimes is done by children in street cricket (not sure if professionals do this or not). And the British empire is responsible for spreading cricket and bringing it to prominence.

The trailer also had a sporty theme, the region is littered with stadium and the music often had audience applauses akin to spectator sports.

So, like how the Alolan trio was compared to a circus trio, this trio could end up being sport based, with Scorbunny being a footballer, Grookey bearing a cricket bat and not sure about Sobble but some have theorised water polo.
I've heard that theory as well. It's probably more likely, and those make a lot of sense. I'm just getting hopeful since I'm not really into sporty themes at all.

King of Planet Panthera
Reaction score
For those who like Grookey, and have a appeal to him, here's a fanart picture of it made by someone on DA. Warning though, you will be overloaded with cuteness, so bewear. This art pretty much confirmed my choice (unless its evolutions suck....I hope not).

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I've heard that theory as well. It's probably more likely, and those make a lot of sense. I'm just getting hopeful since I'm not really into sporty themes at all.
Not too into sports myself... I was practically an outcast myself in school due to that!

But living in a country full of cricket maniacs (thanks Britain cough Gallar!) the first thing that came to mind on seeing the grass starter was cricket.

Here’s a similar fanart for Scorbunny! Cuteness overload!