• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
These may honestly be the most well received starters in a while, please don't let the evos ruin the honeymoon period. I'm not too familiar with British sports (Murica/Unovan, don't even care for our own that much) so I didn't catch that theme strait away.

For those familiar with the sport, is stealthiness a thing for water polo? Would make more sense if Sobble were referencing Marco polo or something, but then again we still haven't seen the evos yet.

fiorsi2qt4j21.jpg

How would people feel about this?

Grookey because I always pick the grass starter not counting Gen 3 hoen (only generation I avoided the grass starter)

These may honestly be the most well received starters in a while, please don't let the evos ruin the honeymoon period. I'm not too familiar with British sports (Murica/Unovan, don't even care for our own that much) so I didn't catch that theme strait away.

For those familiar with the sport, is stealthiness a thing for water polo? Would make more sense if Sobble were referencing Marco polo or something, but then again we still haven't seen the evos yet.

I think it might reference a swimmer.

I’m not so see they’re the most well received bunch. I’d say the reaction is quite similar overall to the Alolan starters. Popplio was criticized more from what I recall then the three Galaran starters, but Rowlet and Litten were (or so I recall) received better then their counterparts.

I’m going with Scorbunny regardless of the probabilities of a Fire/Foggrning type, but the tapes on his feet also, and the sound he makes on metal makes me thing of a Fire/Steel or Fire/Electric combo.

Huge fan of Grookey. It's a cute little monkey and I genuinely don't see why it's so unpopular. ._.

That said, while I may wait for evo reveals to really settle who I'm for, I don't think my overall preference is going to change.

Just as I was pleasantly surprised to see no leaks before the reveal, I'm just as pleasantly surprised to see no one ganging up on any one starter for a change. So far this prerelease period is refreshing and great! Now my thoughts:

Scorbunny: like others, I'm afraid of what it'll turn into. I'm drawn to it because it's finally a starter prediction I got right (fire rabbit... Zodiac is real guys, them being loose with it sometimes is a good thing! 8/8 loosely fitting into it is more than enough proof. Go be mad about something else, this debate is done and over). I wouldn't even care about it being Fire/Fighting because it's been a couple gens since that, but even if it goes sporty I think they'll pull an Incineroar and still give it a more interesting type. Probably Electric or Fairy.

Sobble: this thing is already an anxious gay icon on Twitter. I love it. Currently my favorite. BUT the designers always throw curveballs with the starters nowadays. No one can accurately predict what any of them become, because they always add in a theme or inspiration that is mostly absent on the first "cute elemental animal" stage.

Grookey: an elemental monkey for Pokémon. Groundbreaking. Is this the first time they've outright repeated a starter animal? It's cute, but it's tired. They definitely have something up their sleeve with this one, though. Infernape was already a "this is a monkey" final stage. Plus, if they want to complete a "post-3D-starter" triangle they kinda started, it's time for the grass Pokémon to be the 'kinda femme' one (Delphox, Primarina). Side note: I love that they do this now. Pokémon has a wide, wide fanbase, and I love them including starters like this nowadays.

Just as I was pleasantly surprised to see no leaks before the reveal, I'm just as pleasantly surprised to see no one ganging up on any one starter for a change. So far this prerelease period is refreshing and great! Now my thoughts:

Scorbunny: like others, I'm afraid of what it'll turn into. I'm drawn to it because it's finally a starter prediction I got right (fire rabbit... Zodiac is real guys, them being loose with it sometimes is a good thing! 8/8 loosely fitting into it is more than enough proof. Go be mad about something else, this debate is done and over). I wouldn't even care about it being Fire/Fighting because it's been a couple gens since that, but even if it goes sporty I think they'll pull an Incineroar and still give it a more interesting type. Probably Electric or Fairy.

Sobble: this thing is already an anxious gay icon on Twitter. I love it. Currently my favorite. BUT the designers always throw curveballs with the starters nowadays. No one can accurately predict what any of them become, because they always add in a theme or inspiration that is mostly absent on the first "cute elemental animal" stage.

Grookey: an elemental monkey for Pokémon. Groundbreaking. Is this the first time they've outright repeated a starter animal? It's cute, but it's tired. They definitely have something up their sleeve with this one, though. Infernape was already a "this is a monkey" final stage. Plus, if they want to complete a "post-3D-starter" triangle they kinda started, it's time for the grass Pokémon to be the 'kinda femme' one (Delphox, Primarina). Side note: I love that they do this now. Pokémon has a wide, wide fanbase, and I love them including starters like this nowadays.

We can never know given Popplio’s case, but I think Grookey is even less likely to then the former to turn as a feminine looking Pokémon.

Found this on 4chan.

If Grookey is going female, well, I doubt it can top this- and this is on the 1st day!

8 or 9 months more of inspiration before the real evolution is revealed.

In a sense, it's really quite difficult for GF to be the best since they are so many people who will churn out fanart as opposed to their small (?) team who probably have a lot of other responsibilities besides designing.

Maybe it's time GF got bigger? They make so much money anyway.

Posted above, but also there was already Turtwig copying Squirtle in Gen 4.

And Torterra was like a fusion between Blastoise and Venusaur.

I've come to like it a lot more over the years, mainly because the actual artwork was pretty good. Back then, there was still only sprites for a long while, and the sprites were terrible.

In a sense, it's really quite difficult for GF to be the best since they are so many people who will churn out fanart as opposed to their small (?) team who probably have a lot of other responsibilities besides designing.

GameFreak have the funds for it.
For some reason they themselves have elected to have a smaller team so they’re not forced into having a smaller team and making inferior games.

Found this on 4chan.

If Grookey is going female, well, I doubt it can top this- and this is on the 1st day!

8 or 9 months more of inspiration before the real evolution is revealed.

Maybe it's time GF got bigger? They make so much money anyway.

Oh, this is a pretty good fanart of Grookey's evo. The final form is both somewhat feminine, yet lean and masculine, and the sticks turning into dual nunchunks is a neat idea.

@Spurs1819 ah, right. Forgot Turtwig already happened. Man, poor grass starters.

About the possible 'sports' theme this time (after rpg classes and entertainers/circus), it seems very likely. Scorbunny already kinda screams football/soccer, Grookey can indeed easily be cricket, and Sobble (like any water starter) can easily fill the 'swimmer' sport. Let's not forget that the Olympics are in Tokyo next year. The synergy is real!

I'd like all the starters to avoid any sort of Fighting type (or associations). We've had one every generation since Gen 3. Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar, Chesnaught and then Incineroar. I know the latter isn't a Fighting type, but it still evokes one. It would be nice to have a break from it.

Thinking about it more, here's the (Olympic) sports I actually see the final stages being based off:

Grookey: baseball (huge in Japan)
Scorbunny: track (fits better than football since its speed was shown off)
Sobble: swimming

It barely looks like a fire type and was proven fake a long time ago.

Was it really? I know the guy who "leaked" it is an artist, and not trying to argue for it either way.

I do find its similarity to Scorbunny a bit uncanny though... out of all the bunny fakes to have cropped up over the year this one happened to be the closest. I could see it going either Fire/Steel or Fire/Electric if it ended up real.

Was it really? I know the guy who "leaked" it is an artist, and not trying to argue for it either way.

I do find its similarity to Scorbunny a bit uncanny though... out of all the bunny fakes to have cropped up over the year this one happened to be the closest. I could see it going either Fire/Steel or Fire/Electric if it ended up real.

I mean... there was a Fire/Dark Type Incineroar on deviantart and a fakemon name day Poipole floating around before we got Incineroar and UB Poipole so uncanny similarities have happened before. The fanart trio of starters people fell in love over also got 2/3 starters correct down to the types (Fire bunny and grass monkey).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom