• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
I believe Grookey and its evolutions might have something to do with music/musicians. Its name could be a combination of groove + monkey, plus in the trailer it was seen rhythmically hitting a rock with the stick on its head, kind of like a drummer.

I believe Grookey and its evolutions might have something to do with music/musicians. Its name could be a combination of groove + monkey, plus in the trailer it was seen rhythmically hitting a rock with the stick on its head, kind of like a drummer.
Yeah, I think it's going to be music-theme too. Its French name is Ouistempo. And looking up names on Bulbapedia, "sound," "excitement" and "rhythm" come up a lot in the translations.

I don't really believe that the starters are sports-themed, anyway. Or if there is a sports theme between these starters, it's most likely a secondary quirk. (Like the idea of the Alola starters being based on circus performances.) Sobble is associated with swimming largely because it's a Water type, which kinda have to swim by default.

Yeah, I think it's going to be music-theme too. Its French name is Ouistempo. And looking up names on Bulbapedia, "sound," "excitement" and "rhythm" come up a lot in the translations.

I don't really believe that the starters are sports-themed, anyway. Or if there is a sports theme between these starters, it's most likely a secondary quirk. (Like the idea of the Alola starters being based on circus performances.) Sobble is associated with swimming largely because it's a Water type, which kinda have to swim by default.

Score Bunny. Keyword, Score.

I really like Sobble. The last time I liked a starter this much was Fennekin. It was also pretty popular when it was first revealed and then Delphox was revealed and everybody hated that. (I still love Delphox tho). I hope that doesn't happen with Sobble.

I just realised Scorbunny's Japanese name contains the word "Spark" within, which makes me think it will be part Electric-type in the end.
Or, you know, "spark" as in a spark of flame. I don't know what the Japanese word for an electrical spark is, but I'm pretty sure the one in Scorbunny's name refers specifically to fire. I know we don't want to accept that Scorbunny is almost certainly ending up Fire/Fighting, but this feels like a reach.

I just realised Scorbunny's Japanese name contains the word "Spark" within, which makes me think it will be part Electric-type in the end.

In ancient times, if you hammer on a heated sword, you gets sparks and swords are made from Steel.

As such, Spark in Scorbunny's name doesn't mean all that much, since it can mean anything. It can become Electric (Which i doubt, since then i am gonna say with a certainty Ash is never gonna get it in the anime or its not gonna evolve fully if he gets it because of Pikachu), Fighting or Steel. It staying primary Fire is also a possibility.

Except it might also be grounding tape. I highly doubt that they would make another Fire/Fighting starter after the heavily backlash towards Emboar in BW.
There’s been a gap of two generations since then, though. If Game Freak has a thing for Fire/Fighting starters, I say let them have their fun. We’ve gotten a good amount of variety since the last one.
Regardless, nothing about the markings says “Ground.”

It was mentioned before that Blastoise was a mistranslation.

They did not ask a robot to come up with categories. They were thought out so there must be some reason for the categories.

We’ve literally never had a fire starter totally disconnected to the zodiac in the 23 years of this franchise and if its a coincidence its a really huge one bordering on subconscious OCD on Gamefreak’s part.
They didn't establish many of the series's contentions in Gen 2 because they thought that the franchise would end with Gold & Silver. Many of the patterns were not established until Ruby & Sapphire.

There’s been a gap of two generations since then, though. If Game Freak has a thing for Fire/Fighting starters, I say let them have their fun. We’ve gotten a good amount of variety since the last one.
I meant that Scorbunny could become Fire/Electric, which is a popular theory.

The Scor in Scorbunny could also be as in a musical score.

I think the sports theme might be getting overplayed (lol) somewhat.

The UK’s historical influence on music is greater than its historical influence on sport.

Sobble ... jurrasic park 1 had a nice lizard in it. Acid amor is poison move. Last we had fairy. A fast poison physical attacker with Corrosion and Volt absorb or motor drive taking is fin would be perfect. We lack that kind. Especially if it would become a Iguana or snake and learn that dragon sound scale move, lick and other. Monkey better be rock or steel and not ground, taking its movements Rockclimb and arm thrust early on, rock would be nice for poison and apes are associated eith mountains but silver bzck gorilla could hint steel. Rabbit will be faster then Greninja. Has battery symbols. Moves? Blaze kick and flame charge for sure maybe that physical fairy move and maybe a fire type with bullet seed early on and steel moves, double kick early on fighting move, Bounce will be for sure? I feel they could want this time to amaze us. Monkey, Rabbit and Iguana? I feel water and fire will be fast this time. Water maybe faster then venusaur. Hmm all three would be nice counters to previous gen. Do they look like they could Dig? Shadow sneak for both bunny and sobble? Sobble looks like cameleon, power whip? That fin could be used for razor shel?

Well, I’d say the likeliest bet is that “Scorbunny” is scorch+bunny, which is most obvious for a Fire starter and makes the least assumptions. “Sobble” is sob+bubble, and, uhh...I’m gonna assume that “Grookey” has roots in something other than Groot. :p

Grounding Tape that @RileyXY1 keeps mentioning has to do with conduction of electricity, not the actual ground.

I'd rather that fake Robobunny than another Fire/Fighting type, bc at least that is unique.

Well, I’d say the likeliest bet is that “Scorbunny” is scorch+bunny, which is most obvious for a Fire starter and makes the least assumptions. “Sobble” is sob+bubble, and, uhh...I’m gonna assume that “Grookey” has roots in something other than Groot. :p

Grookey - Grass Monkey, but with the extra O, else its to similair to Froakie.

Grookey - Grass Monkey, but with the extra O, else its to similair to Froakie.
People have suggested that, given translations of its other names having to do with tempo and rhythm, its name could come from "groove" and "monkey." I also think it sounds kinda like "groupie" which also fits there.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom