• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
I'm guessing Scorbunny's evolutions will be Fire/Ground. Rabbits burrow underground. Of course I thought Piplup would be Water/Ice and that was incorrect.

That no other starter has repeated types as much as the Fire line?

EDIT: And that people are completely bored at that?
If you're still bored of Fire/Fighting after nearly a decade of getting to play with other stuff, I don't know what to tell you. This is one of those things the fandom gets bent out of shape about for no real reason. It's really not a big deal.

^ It may not be a big deal, but its also unnecessary. Besides its better to have variety than recycling type combinations. Kind of like the lack of a Dark type gym.
The way I see it, if the design or concept of a Pokemon lends itself to a particular type combination, then it's silly to make that Pokemon a different type just for the sake of variety. All of the Fire/Fighting starters have had good reasons for their typing (Blaziken is based on Shamo chickens, a breed of chickens bred for cockfighting; Infernape and Emboar are both based on characters from Journey to the West). I value good design and concept over type variety for its own sake.

I've been seeing a lot of fanart portraying Scorbunny as this hyperactive twerp. I'm really starting to like it more, along with the idea of it being my easily excitable sidekick.

^ It may not be a big deal, but its also unnecessary. Besides its better to have variety than recycling type combinations. Kind of like the lack of a Dark type gym.

I agree with you, but after watching the GameXplain vid going into detail on Galar & the starters, I'm thinking a Fighting typing may be likely. The band-aids really do remind me of Maylene's:
185px-Diamond_Pearl_Maylene.png

Bunny could also just damage itself often from running around so much, but I'm bracing for this potential outcome.

Grookie is cute~ Simple looking but very unique as far as designs go. Doesn't resemble anything we've has so far super strongly and I like the stick thing it has going on~

Scorbunny is literally Chespin in Chimchar's pose. But it's adorable. I love everything about it, despite the fact that it's highly lacking in terms of originality. I just don't care because at least it looks like something that's cute~

Sobble is one of those mons that gains a huge cult following for looking like something can be memed. And based on the poll results, looks like it's already heading down that path~ It does resemble Froakie to me, with a smidge of Mudkip, so not super original, but it's a cute design~ I like it~

Starters are 10/10 this generation~ As a comparison to Gen VII, I'd say I probably prefer Rowlet to Grookey, Scorbuny to Litten 100%, and Popplio over Sobble, but I don't outright dislike any of these designs~

I think it's been mentioned a couple times before, but I screenshotted this observation of the starter's names from /vp/. They could mean nothing, but it sounds to me like Scorbunny could end up being Fire/Electric, Grookey might end up as a drummer, and Sobble I'm unsure.

Which i doubt, since then i am gonna say with a certainty Ash is never gonna get it in the anime or its not gonna evolve fully if he gets it because of Pikachu
Yup. A whopping two Fire Starters.
Over the course of eight years. It's been nearly a decade since we had a Fire/Fighting starter. I don't see the problem with having another after all that time.
And? Again, this isn't actually a problem.
If you're still bored of Fire/Fighting after nearly a decade of getting to play with other stuff, I don't know what to tell you. This is one of those things the fandom gets bent out of shape about for no real reason. It's really not a big deal.

@Jabberwocky did you just ignore that in the 'break' of measly two starters one had a heavy fighting theme?
The break was not of 'decades' but effectivelyliterally the 3 years of Gen 6.

@Jabberwocky did you just ignore that in the 'break' of measly two starters one had a heavy fighting theme?
The break was not of 'decades' but effectivelyliterally the 3 years of Gen 6.
Except Incineroar doesn't have a fighting theme, it has a professional wrestling theme - i.e. very specifically fake fighting. Its theme is that it's a heel wrestler. It only learns two offensive Fighting-type moves by level up for a reason.

Except Incineroar doesn't have a fighting theme, it has a professional wrestling theme - i.e. very specifically fake fighting. Its theme is that it's a heel wrestler. It only learns two offensive Fighting-type moves by level up for a reason.

Fake wrestling doesn’t mean fake fighting. Its still fighting. It’s still a Tiger head placed on a jacked up body. Incineroar is basically fighting a scripted fight for entertainment but it’s fighting nonetheless.

Now you’re just being pedantic for the sake of it. I’m tired of having the same kinds of themes repeated on the fire starters since I want to use them.

Fire Fighting is literally as common as pure water in starters.

I'd like the secondary 'Fighting' theme to take a break. Not only in terms of actual typing, but also thematic-wise. I'm referring to Incineroar (wrestler) and Samurott (samurai) as well.

My predictions for the starters:
Grookey: Final typing would be Grass/Fairy
I'm on the side that the grass monkey might be a drummer. I think we can have two generations of starters related to music. High special attack.

Scorbunny: Final typing would be Fire/Flying
It looks sporty, though I'm thinking more of acrobats and gymnasts. High speed.

Sobble: Final typing would be Water/Ghost
Mostly because it can turn transparent. I'm expecting it to turn into a cuter form of deep sea fish and represent science/tech. High defense.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom