• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
Until I see the final evolution officially myself, I'm not going to disbelieve it. After all, it wouldn't be terribly strange if an apparently disproven leak somehow turned out to be real. It's not completely impossible, no matter how unlikely.

I think it first showed up some time mid-last year, long before SwSh was revealed, which I think proves it fake. We’ve never had a leak that early, and it’s highly unlikely that we ever will.

Yea it's 100% fake. It's a shame. We can only hope that it is similar. The artist's equivalent to Scorbunny was superior as well!

Yea it's 100% fake. It's a shame. We can only hope that it is similar. The artist's equivalent to Scorbunny was superior as well!
If you refer to the bunny that came along with the grass monkey and water platypus, I don’t think the first bunny starter’s artist is the same as the robotic bunny we’re discussing. The latter’s Artist claimed only the final stage as his.

I’m leaning Scorbunny right now, but I’ll wait to see what other fire types are in the game first.

I will say that the starters are starting chuckles to warm up to me more. And, after seeing some of the "leaks" of the starters potential evos, my opinion of them has changed a bit. Again, I'll still favoring Scorbunny more than the others, as it's the one I like the best so far. I like the fact that, unlike past rabbit Mons, it seems more confident in itself, giving it bit of a leadership vibe to it. Sobble is still second place, though I can relate to its timid nature, as I'm rather timid myself nowadays, so I expect confidence boosting being part of its evolutionary process. Grookey I still like the least, as I'm still not a fan of monkeys or chimps, but it has earned a few more points due to the leaks. So, overall, while my choice hasn't changed, I have warmed up to them a bit more, now that I've gotten a bit more used to them. Still, any final judgments won't be executed until positive confirmation of their final forms and typing.

Out of the 3 starters, Sobble is the only one that gives me hopes it could end up evolving into a cool and badass looking final evolution (I know coolness is a subjective perception: for me cool looking final evolutions are Charizard, Sceptile or Typhlosion, for example).

The other two starters, I can already feel I am not gonna like their final evolutions. Bunnies and Monkeys are not exactly my definition of cool looking animals (cute, yes, but not cool).

But even with Sobble, I don't expect Game Freak to design it's final evolution the way I hope. I expect them to disappoint me once again xD

Please don't quote this post, because I may edit it/delete it in the future, if I change my mind.

Last edited:
I feel like these starters look too much like characters as opposed to creatures you know. It's like there's too much personality in them.

I believe that Grookey will definitely have a music theme. Its names across many languages have something to do with music.

Sobble's my favorite. I really like the Loch Ness monster theories going around, but it also looks very much like a chameleon, which would make for an interesting concept.

I don't think my favorite starter has been the most popular one since. Ever. It's a weird feeling...

I think grass/rock, fire/ electric and water/poison my reasoning is the gen4 remakes. Bunny would counter Empoleon, chamelon/iguana would have problems with it but would takr on infernape, ape would be good against starters of own region but weak to secondary typings of gen4 and Torterra even if slower will get ground type and stats advantage against them as redemption. Also gen4 will get megas probably and gen8 armors that will get interesting. Also it would be the first gen where grass would type wise shine against fird and water who will probably be faster then it. I would hope for this especially if water/poison would get dorns and hornd then banneful bunker as shield would be perfect

how would all of you feel if Grookey ends up as grass/fairy feminine?

I wouldn't like it.
We already have Cottonee/Whimsicott, Morelull/Shiinotic and Tapu Bulu as outright Grass/Fairy types and several other Fairy types with grass type moves in their arsenal(Ralts line, Flabebe line, Slurpuff line, Comfey, etc...).
I get why the two types are mixed to a point, but I'm getting a little tired of Grass and Fairy types intermingling and would prefer to see the fairy type branched into other area's.

I have no problem making the Grookey line more feminine, but please give us something other than a fairy type.
There are so many other things you can do with the Fairy type than running out another one that is heavily Grass oriented, and the Grookey line has too many possibilities to tie it to a type combination that is becoming overused.

^ That looks like it's based off the idea that the starters will be represented by mainstays of British culture:
Musical (likely rock) theme for Grookey
Soccer or Football theme for Scorbunny
Drama theater theme for Sobble like the artist inspiration above.

Only thing I wonder about that, is how does it tie into what's been confirmed for Galar's theme: The Strongest Pokemon? Its been confirmed that the starters themselves would tie into this theme, I'm guessing similarly to how Sinnoh's starters tied into mythology, Unova's into multiculturalism, and Kalos's as a RPG set for their respective regions.

A new leak(?) is out.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom