• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Starters Discussion

Which starter do you like?

• Grookey

Votes: 40 16.0%
  • Scorbunny

Votes: 68 27.2%
  • Sobble

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • All of them!

Votes: 61 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters
I don't know, for me it was Incineroar that saved that line for me, considering I wasn't really impressed with Litten and much less with Torracat.
As with everything related to Pokèmon design, it's a subjective manner. As I said, I don't mind Incineroar's design. But I wanted a quadruped fire starter's final stage for a long time, and felines in general are among my favourite animals, so I was looking foward to a quadruped tiger.

As with everything related to Pokèmon design, it's a subjective manner. As I said, I don't mind Incineroar's design. But I wanted a quadruped fire starter's final stage for a long time, and felines in general are among my favourite animals, so I was looking foward to a quadruped tiger.
I get you now, since what you're describing is the same thing I felt with Delphox, since I love foxes and wanted something different.

I don't really know what be quadraped would do. How many legs a pokemon stands on doesn't make a design cooler, or make them unique amongst other pokemon. I never did get the craze for a quadraped when it doesn't do anything in the long run

I don't really know what be quadraped would do. How many legs a pokemon stands on doesn't make a design cooler, or make them unique amongst other pokemon. I never did get the craze for a quadraped when it doesn't do anything in the long run

My guess is because it makes them more natural and animalistic looking, and less like a furry.
668Pyroar-Male.png
180112-fisher-african-lions-tease_uaafsx

727Incineroar.png
6379b66166d450b6f71377f5d9c06597.jpg

Do we just forget that these are monsters only based off animals?

Yes, Incineroar is based off of an animal, but its bipedal, i.e. humanoid, appearance lessens that affect to a degree. Some people prefer their monsters to be more animalistic and faithful to their inspirations, which goes hand-in-hand with being quadrupedal.

Yes, Incineroar is based off of an animal, but its bipedal, i.e. humanoid, appearance lessens that affect to a degree. Some people prefer their monsters to be more animalistic and faithful to their inspirations, which goes hand-in-hand with being quadrupedal.
Forgive me if my opinion on that is considered lack of wonder to me. If your sense on good design is literally taking something that exists, add fire on it, and call it a day, it kinda ticks me off as an artist

Forgive me if my opinion on that is considered lack of wonder to me. If your sense on good design is literally taking something that exists, add fire on it, and call it a day, it kinda ticks me off as an artist

You can have a Pokemon keep the same stance(?) as its real-world counterpart while still making it different enough. Manetric is quadruple just like dogs and wolves, yet it doesn't come across as a lazy design, which I'm assuming you're getting at.

Also, some people are totally okay with Pokemon that just their real-world counterpart with fire on it, and even prefer those designs.

This guy made this back in 2016, before the starters were even revealed. Still think people are just satisfied with just animalistic designs?

View attachment 126406

This guy made this back in 2016, before the starters were even revealed. Still think people are just satisfied with just animalistic designs?

I'm not saying that people don't like bipedal designs or are only satisfied with animalistic designs, I'm just providing an explanation for why some folks prefer quadruple designs to bipedal ones.

Of course, a design can be good or bad reagless of the number of legs a Pokèmon would stand on. And as I said, I do like Incineroar's design.

I just want in general a quadruped fire starter because everyone so far was on two legs, and it can give some different vibe, as well as being less antropomorphic. That doesn't mean that any design works, or that I'd be fine with any kind of design.

Of course, a design can be good or bad reagless of the number of legs a Pokèmon would stand on. And as I said, I do like Incineroar's design.

I just want in general a quadruped fire starter because everyone so far was on two legs, and it can give some different vibe, as well as being less antropomorphic. That doesn't mean that any design works, or that I'd be fine with any kind of design.
Then why clamor on that one small detail if it doesn't matter?

Then why clamor on that one small detail if it doesn't matter?
I don't think I really made a big deal about it. I just stated that I don't trust GF in making the fire starter not anthropomorphic, and that I'd have preferred to see a different take on Incineroar's design. I didn't even criticize the latter, actually.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom