• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starters of choice (Please read first post)

Re: Starters of choice

Based on personal preference:
Grass: Meganium
Water: Blastoise
Fire: Blaziken

But if I was to think logically, I'd replace them with Charizard, Swampert, and Torterra

Fire: Charizard
Water: Samurott
Grass: (Since I can't choose Serperior...) Meganium

Same ones I have on my ultimate team

Water- Blastoise
Fire- Typhlosion
Grass- Sceptile

I just did a run on my pokemon White basically following this setup. I used:

Charizard
Feraligatr
Torterra
(and Bisharp/Haxorus/Lucario to fill out the rest of the team)

Fire: Blaziken > Typhlosion > Infernape > Charizard > Emboar
Water: Feraligatr > Samurott > Swampert > Blastoise > Empoleon
Grass: Meganium > Serperior > Sceptile > Venasuar = Torterra

If I had to base them on region batches alone/together...

Johto > Unova > Hoenn > Sinnoh = Kanto

Based on more of an anime perspective than game mechanics:

Fire: Charizard
Grass: Sceptile

The clearest cut one for me is Sceptile. None of the other grass starters have ever captured my interest.

Grass: Venusaur
Fire: Emboar
Water: Swampert

Based on their battle performance as well as looks. ^^

Oh, that's tough... okay...

Fire: Infernape
Water: Feraligatr
Grass: Sceptile

Here is my selection:

Fire: Charizard: Because it is the only starter that closely resembles a Dragon and is the most versatile out of all the fire starters.

Water: Swampert: Because it seems to be the most unique in appearance out of all the water starters (to me anyway) and is a great Choice Band user in competitive battle.

Grass: Torterra: Because it looks like a tank with a tree growing on it's back and is a surprisingly powerful attacker and wall.

Very tough decisions for me, as otherwise my choices would have been Blaziken, Empoleon and Venusaur.

fire - Typhlosion
water - Empoleon
grass - Torterra

Grass: Serperior
Water: Blastoise

These options are mostly based on design, as all starters are reasonable fighters.

Grass: Sceptile. Nostalgia also plays a factor, because he was my first Pokémon pal. Other than that, while he is a bit hard to abuse at the start, the somewhat balanced Attack and Sp. Attack help to make up for the screwed Type mess back in Gen III (where a type is either Physical OR Special). Even better, its movepool is not bad at all.

Fire: Emboar. Herp derp. Monstrous attack and health, but slow and quite fragile. Sure, he is not easy to use, but that is part of the fun, right? Flame Charge or Trick Room help with speed, for lack of better. Or some Screen Support, to keep this beast from being KOd...Attacking is easy. Just pick the right move from the vast movepool (including the Water-type, burn-inducing Scald, which could save you from some harm as well) and watch your foes burn... I mean, faint.

Water: Empoleon. I don't like Piplup and Prinplup is just slightly better. However, Empoleon I love. Its face talks serious business. And it is no mere facade. Its typing offers lots of resistances, though two very common weakness (Fighting and Ground). That is OK. Empoleon has the defenses to brace itself. This Pokémon, much like Emboar, suffers from lack of speed, but this time it has the resilience to set-up with Agility, or the infamous Substitute + Petaya Berry combo. Not fast enough? Aqua Jet to the rescue!

Grass: Venisaur(Sorry Sceptile :< )

Grass: Serperior
Water: Feraligatr

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom