• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starters of choice (Please read first post)

Oooh, this seems fun. As I'm long-winded and to add a bit more interest to my post, I'm also going to explain why these are the ones I'd choose.

- Fire: Braixen (Whatever its final evolution is)
The Why: We may not know much about this Pokemon yet, but I find its aesthetic design very nice. So nice, it is my favorite Pokemon thus far. It looks so pretty. And it has Psychic-type attributes, which is one of my favorite types as well. Not only that, but it's a mammalian fire starter. And I just prefer mammals overall to other creatures. (Particularly canines. I know, I'm so generic.) I find its skirt to be a particularly elegant choice, whilst its fur ruff looks like a cute scarf. Though I don't like how skinny its arms, legs, and neck look. (Don't really look like it could support itself.) Still, this is a Fire-type that is more subtle about being a Fire-type. It isn't just red and orange slapped together. I find its colors to be soothing and subtle. The mixture of red, dark gray, white, and light cream yellow compliment each other well. Same goes for Fennekin, really. I look forward to breaking my Grass-type starter tradition and seeing what sorts of abilities it can use in the games themselves.

- Grass: Meganium
The Why: This was a difficult choice for me, as I have a tradition of choosing Grass-type starters and I particularly like three of them. Meganium was my first Pokemon I've ever had, and its appearance in particular fits my personality. Sceptile is a favorite of mine due to Grovyle, and its role in PMD2, as well as its smooth design. And Serperior's design sense just screams of me. It looks like something I'd create. I had to go with Meganium though, due to the fact that Samurott is my most preferred Water starter and I'm not really interested very much in the rest. And also, well, it WAS my first Pokemon. I've chosen it many times and have a sort of a bond with it. Although I don't like its aesthetics as much as the other two, I still quite enjoy them. Flowers are kind of my thing and I'd love a Pokemon that could release a soothing scent. It may not look as tough or cool as the other starters, but it looks adorable and sweet. And really, for me, that'd be the perfect Pokemon to start a journey with. (Don't much enjoy how the females have shorter antennae though.)

- Water: Samurott
The Why: Well, I already revealed this choice in the Grass-type one. And said the entire reason: I just don't find Water starters all that interesting typically. And I really thought fifth gen was just going to be another one of those. I ignore the Water starter typically as it is a very common type and there are a bajillion other Pokemon I could use of it that are of more interest. But this one stands out. Not only is it a mammal (which again, I like), but it has a very interesting and unique design. I particularly like the shell on its head, and its silly facial hair whiskers. The colors are nice too, although not too original. But the concept sure is original: a samurai otter? That's neat. It can even use little swords on its arms! And it is quadrupedal (mostly), which is also befitting of it. Though I do think it looks kinda stupid when it stands on two legs.

Re: Starters of choice

Fire: Charizard
Water: Samurott
Grass: Meganium

If I could choose two from the same generation, I would have certainly gone for both Typhlosion and Meganium.

This is a pretty tough choice for me, as I could easily pick any of the three Kanto starters.

Grass: Venusaur
Bulbasaur is one of my favourite Pokemon, and easily my favourite of the grass starters (although I don't have much experience with the others).

Fire: Typhlosion
After Charizard, I love Typhlosion. Fennekin could also be in this slot after X and Y are released.

Water: Samurott
I would have chosen Blastoise but I couldn't due to selecting Venusaur. At first, I really didn't like Samurott but since trading for an Oshawott on the GTS and raising it up, he has grown on me.

Re: Starters of choice

Grass: Torterra
Water: Swampert
Fire: Typhlosion

Grass: Serperior
Fire: Charizard
Water: Primarina

Grass: Torterra
Water: Blastoise
Fire: Blaziken

What luck that my favorite final evolutions of each type already happen to be from three different gens. Though if I weren't such a fan of turtles, I guess my second choices would be Serperior / Empoleon / Delphox.

For me, it's two fairly easy choices and one kinda difficult choice.

- Grass: Chesnaught
Chespin goes on a journey from adorable to dorky-cute to stoic but still super wholesome. The line is just a good boi (or grrl depending on the gender.)

- Water: Primarina
Stylish. Amiable. Hits like a truck when it needs to. And it earns woobie points for just wanting someone to freely express its emotions around.

- Fire: ...Here's where it gets complicated.
Fuecoco looks promising. It's a Fire-type that's pretty chill and easygoing and has a fun design. But I haven't seen its final evolution yet for obvious reasons. If it disappoints, I suppose I could fall back on Emboar... who kind of got a raw deal and people just compare it unfavorably to Blaziken and Infernape. It's shaped like a friend. T_T

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom