• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starting fresh at Bulbagarden

Umbramatic

Feudal Articuno Man
Reaction score
Warning: long post is loooong. Please take the time to read through all of it, if you have time.

Hello, my name is InsaneTyranitar, and I've been a Pokemon fan since the days of Red and Blue. I'm not a competitive battler, but I have an in-depth knowledge of the games, and still maintain a slight, guilty-pleasure interest in the anime (Though it's nowhere near the amount of interest I used to have in it). I'm also interested in fantasy, science fiction, other anime, and other video games, (mostly those produced by Nintendo). The two things I don't like about the Pokemon fandom are the amount of people who are "generation snobs"- my personal term for people who don't accept anything beyond the first or second generations- and the competitive battlers who look down on anybody that doesn't play their way as "n00bs". Other than that, (and one other issue I wish to remain private, at least for now) I'm a pretty accepting guy.

A personal history of me and internet forums (Please bear with it, as it'll help explain why I act the way I do. Really, you can just stop now, if you like):

The closest thing to a beginning of my experience with forums was in the comments section of a picture gallery on a Pokemon site I don't quite remember the name of. I was a MAJOR n00b then, typing in all caps on occasions, making really lame puns, and all that. I eventually stopped that. Then, I went to that place you all seem to love to hate, the Serebii forums. I actually had a good time there, but I was still a little bit n00bish. (I joined Bulbapedia around the same time, but didn't contribute much- just some stuff about Haunter's diet in the Pokemon Food article and a bit about Rayquaza's role in Smash Bros. Brawl.)

I eventually got bored with Pokemon in general, and decided to leave the site temporarily. Then began a long period of just surfing the net, trying to find some other community to accept me. Most didn't work out, either because I lost interest, didn't agree with the people on the site about certain things, or simply got embarrassed when I made a mistake. Currently the only one that's still going strong is TV Tropes, and I'm taking a break from that right now. It's not healthy to go on TV Tropes too much.

When I finally came back to Serebii I was aware of all the mistakes I made back when I first joined. Unfortunately, I got worked up over them. Really worked up. and so in panic, I posted this:
Hey,
I first joined these forums back in 2007, wanting to get in on everything that was being talked about here. As a Pokemon fan since the franchise first began, I thought it would be a good first forum.
After staying on for a while, my interest in Pokemon hit a low point, and I left the forums. However, the fact that I left didn’t stop me from looking back at my posts.
That’s when my self-esteem took a hit.
I kept noticing all these flaws in whatever I posted- some justified and some rather ridiculous. These flaws included posts that were too long and essay-like, posts being too “me” centric, posts obsessing over debates, posts that used “big words”, posts with bad self-demeaning humor (I admired humility so much that at the time I thought there was no such thing) and posts that expressed interest in things I shouldn’t be interested in as a boy (I was only interested in Pokemon shippings for my breeding experiments, I swear!)
Judging all these flaws, I assumed I left too bad an impression to ever return, and so I waited a long while before I mustered up the guts to post this.
I hope that I’ve improved, and I want to make sure I don’t slip up quite as much now that I’ve returned.
In short, I’m back, for better or for worse.

Before I realized that it might be perceived as whiny and melodramatic, I had already posted it.

Looking back at it now, it's not that bad, and I only got "told off" for it by one mod, and he gave me some good advice. Still, I was so embarrassed that after a few more posts I left again.

And yes, I am easily embarrassed on the internet, if you can't tell by now :p

So now I'm careful. I try not to do any of the things mentioned as my flaws, while being polite and honest at the same time.

Sorry for the wall of text. I hope that it explains me well and why I act the way I do, and I hope to enjoy myself at Bulbagarden.

Welcome... (Back?)

Yeah, welcome back. :D (I have no idea what user you were though)

@♥♪!?: He's not back. He's new here. He's from Serebii Forums and other places (if you would actually read his post).

Hello, that is quite the story you have there.

You really shouldn't get embarrassed so easily, we are pretty fun around here so I hope it makes it easier for you.

After reading your story, you really have progressed through life quite well and made up for your mistakes that you have made.

I hope you stick around and if you need anyone to talk to feel free. =D

Welcome :)

I hope your fresh start at BMGf is good :)

Maybe we'll get talking sometime.

Oh yep...
Well I only read "Hello my name is insane Tyranitar"... But welcome to the forums and have lots of fun! :D

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom