• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Stereotypes about your country that's not true?

Far too mouthy for my own good.
Reaction score
I have seen online, that some people believe that Iceland has so few people, that we need to use an app to prevent incest. The app is real, but it's just a online family tree. It was not developed to prevent incest.
Outside of determining inheritance through nobility, the primary reason for a family tree is to prevent incest. So you could say the app is both real and does exist for that purpose :p

SAEV DEH WHALEZ!
Reaction score
Eh, being from an Arab background, my family's guilty of incest already. I've lost count of how many cousin marriages there are in my family. Even my parents are distant cousins.

I admit, I kinda wish there were elves. They're so beautiful and pointy-eared. It would be so cool.

Getting back to the topic: remember when I said that people think Arabs pronounce all P's as B's? Not only is it true (especially in Lebanon and other countries in the Levant), but I'm able to joke about it - some of my friends love doing that Peter Piper tongue-twister with me. I can pronounce P's properly since I grew up in Australia, but a lot of my relatives, especially the older ones, still pronounce P's as B's - I remember when I saw my grandparents were watching LOTR and I laughed when my grandfather called Pippin 'Bibbin'. The reason why they do it is because there's no P sound in Arabic.

Last edited:
PK.......
Reaction score
As an Asian American, the fact that stereotypes have us eating dogs both disturbs me and is a good opportunity to make a racist joke about myself. Also, I'm not an A student...

Far too mouthy for my own good.
Reaction score
Well, their current administration certainly isn't helping dispel those stereotypes, in any case.
To be honest, neither did many of the past ones. And sadly, this guy still isn't the top-ten list of most corrupt or evil leaders for us, and it's going to be kinda hard to compete with Nixon and the guy who committed genocide for the top two slots. Or Jefferson for the third.

Yeah, the idea we generally have good leaders who shouldn't be on trial in Hague? That's a stereotype that probably isn't true. Even a number of our leaders who could be argued to not be evil were definitely not good people.

Reaction score
To be honest, neither did many of the past ones. And sadly, this guy still isn't the top-ten list of most corrupt or evil leaders for us, and it's going to be kinda hard to compete with Nixon and the guy who committed genocide for the top two slots. Or Jefferson for the third.

Yeah, the idea we generally have good leaders who shouldn't be on trial in Hague? That's a stereotype that probably isn't true. Even a number of our leaders who could be argued to not be evil were definitely not good people.
I wouldn't consider him "evil", I think that's going a little overboard. Stupid, most definitely, I trust Baron to be a better leader.

Glorious Goo
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard anyone use eh to finish sentences as a kind of verbal tic unless they were making fun of the Canadian stereotype. I'm certain I've never heard anyone say aboot instead of about. We also got mean people like any other civilization.

Constantly in limbo
Reaction score
As a dutch I can safely say that we barely walk on sabots. The last time I saw them was when my mom was gardening so she could take them of easy and get inside the house without getting dirt everywhere.

Moved to PokeCommunity
Reaction score
When people say all Americans are fat-
It’s not just that, though. There’s stereotypes for regions.
A lot of people think that all there is in the Midwest is corn, and only farmers live there. Well, Chicago has over 2 million inhabitants.
Just because the southeast hated blacks 100+ years ago doesn’t mean we hate them now.

SAEV DEH WHALEZ!
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard anyone use eh to finish sentences as a kind of verbal tic unless they were making fun of the Canadian stereotype. I'm certain I've never heard anyone say aboot instead of about. We also got mean people like any other civilization.
I can name plenty of mean Canadians.

Funny that you mentioned the "nice Canadian" stereotype. One of my friends' mums used to work with a woman from Calgary, and she told me that said woman was so nice it was almost scary. Interestingly, my friend's mum told me the woman had a very French surname, yet she couldn't speak French, which really surprised me (plus her first name was Sharon, which definitely isn't French).

Last edited: