• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Still a useable sun team?

sqwat500

Fuck You, Stealth Rock
Reaction score
Ive been away a loooong time, but this was my main team when i played. Is it still a useable sun team?

Ninetales@ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Ability: Drought
200 Defense/56 Special Defense/252 HP
~Fire Blast
~Solar Beam
~Will-o-Wisp
~Hypnoisis

This is my bluky ninetales. Maxing bulk was a priority,so I could switch in at least a few times, although I am hesitant to switch him in before opponent permanant weather abusers have been removed, so that stealth rock dosen't screw me over. The ev's were selected to take maximum bulk from both sides of the offensive spectrum. Fire blast is there for manditory STAB, and solar beam, a grass type move, complements it well, (again, I stay away from switching into ninetales before weather changers have been eleminated) and dosen't require the charge turn. Will-o-wisp cripples any non-fire physical attacker, and hypnoisis is used for anything that resists will-o-wisp.

Venusaur@ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
Ability:Chlorophyll
252 Speed/252 Attack/ 4 HP
~Earthquake
~Power Whip
~Swords Dance
~Sleep Powder

Now, I know what you're thinking. Why not go mixed with the buffed growth? Well, Power Whip is venusaur's strongest, most reliable STAB move, and it is physicall. Next, its earthquake/sludge bomb, a boosting move, and sleep powder. I choose earthquake>sludge bomb for more coverage, and ground is a better offensive type than poison. Sleep powder allows venusaur to remove a counter/check/whatever its called now, and boost with swords dance for a solid constant +2 attack, as they sleep or switch out. I choose venusaur for the team, as its new ability, chlorophyll, allows it to become a speedy and fearsome sun sweeper in the 5th generation.

Charizard@ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Ability:Solar Power
252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 Defense
~Fire Blast
~Air Slash
~Dragon Pulse
~Solar Beam

If you were a little shackey with venusaur, your probably screaming "uBer nOOb! CHariZaRd is raPeD bY stEalTh RoCks aNd WaS iN NU aNd suCkS"(my impression of you is amazing, huh?) Anyway, charizard had made a huge comeback this generation. An amazing sun dependent ability, and a permant sun abuser were charizards greatest new toys this generation. Stelth rock always hurts, but donphan can help with rapid spin. Anyways, fireblast/airslash are for reliable STAB with decent coverage, and dragon pulse hits dragons, and solar beam rounds coverage almost perfectly in the sun (only resisted by heatran, right?)

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Rapid Spin

- Ice Shard

- Earthquake

- Stealth Rock

I'm only using him since he was suggested on smogon. Will give more insight when Im done testing

Hydreigon@ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
Ability:Levitate
252 Special Attack/252 Speed/ 4 Hp
~Fire Blast
~Draco Meteor
~Dark Pulse
~Focus Blast

Sazandora is amazing. He is an important figure in every match, and often buys me early game momentum, or clinchs late game. Specs make any attack put a dent in any pokemon not resisting it that isn't blissey or chansey. Fire blast is usually my primary attack of choice, having great type coverage and ok reliability. Once steel types have been removed, I can spam draco meteor 1-2 times, before switching out. Dark pulse is a reliable STAB move, with decent coverage. Finally, focus blas is the newest addition to his moveset, that allows him to hit things like tyranitar, but leaves him open to ST shandera.

Conkeldurr
@Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Ability:Iron Fist
~Mach Punch
~Drain Punch
~Payback
~Stone Edge

Also a new addition, main counter to tyranitar and such.

Last edited:
Your team is pretty decent but I going to be that one guy who says get rid of the Charizard. Solar Power deceives you into using it. Stealth Rock + Solar Power means in a few turns your Charizard is dead. Especially if you put a Life Orb on it. (Protect and Substitute users will stall you out, use Mixape (Also a Tyranitar counter.) or Heatran.)
Ninetales is perfect though you might think about replacing Will-o-Wisp with Toxic. (Either will suffice.)
Your Venusaur looks good. But you must get rid of Power Whip. It is incompatible with Chlorophyll and you must use Seed Bomb.
Donphan could be replaced with Foretress. (Though missing Ice Shard will hurt.)
Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
Hydreigon is perfect.
Conkeldurr could stay or leave but is a bit more obsolete if you do add Infernape.

Looking at your current team, you might have problems with Dragons faster than Hydreigon if the conditions are right. But looking at a team's weakness is not my specialty.
(Oh and I hate Stealth Rock too. My poor Ho-oh in Ubers (Sobs remorsefully.))

Your team is pretty decent but I going to be that one guy who says get rid of the Charizard. Solar Power deceives you into using it. Stealth Rock + Solar Power means in a few turns your Charizard is dead. Especially if you put a Life Orb on it. (Protect and Substitute users will stall you out, use Mixape (Also a Tyranitar counter.) or Heatran.)
Charizard does have many draw backs, but when used properly in the right situation, he can be devistating. Ill try infernape out, however.

Ninetales is perfect though you might think about replacing Will-o-Wisp with Toxic. (Either will suffice.)
Thanks. Ill try both out.

Your Venusaur looks good. But you must get rid of Power Whip. It is incompatible with Chlorophyll and you must use Seed Bomb.
Ahh thanks, i was unaware of this.

Donphan could be replaced with Foretress. (Though missing Ice Shard will hurt.)
Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
Ill try it out.

Hydreigon is perfect.
Great

Conkeldurr could stay or leave but is a bit more obsolete if you do add Infernape.
If i do end up sticking with infernape, ill defiently swap him out.

Looking at your current team, you might have problems with Dragons faster than Hydreigon if the conditions are right. But looking at a team's weakness is not my specialty.
(Oh and I hate Stealth Rock too. My poor Ho-oh in Ubers (Sobs remorsefully.))[/QUOTE]
They could definetly be a problem, but i just try to work around them.

Thank you!

Frankly, if you're gonna use Charizard, you might as well use Volcarona.

I honestly tried both of them out on sun teams (gasp! I used a Charizard?!?!?!?) and Volca is just much more dependable and reliable. I can tell by your avi that you really like Charizard, and I know what it's like when a Pokemon you like is constantly ragged on (my poor Meganium,) but the thing is, Charizard has many problems. There are other Pokemon (Volcarona and the aforementioned Infernape and Heatran) who can perform the same role he can without the drawbacks.

About Charizard, if you are going to use it I'd suggest Choice Specs over Life Orb.

This sounds like suicide as they force switches often and Charizard doesn't like switches, but precisely because of that it should do the most of the moment it is in the battlefield, which you should prepare beforehand before sending it in anyways (which more than Stealth Rocks it's minding what will the opponent switch to).
Think of it as a one-use cannon. Charizard isn't a pokémon that stays in the battle and is a hero, it's there to put pressure (2HKO's and speed are important here), do heavy damage and then ideally is revenge-killed.

Considering surivavility for Charizard is a bad joke, but the fact that you are giving a reason for your opponent to set up Stealth Rock (as you will be spinning it out), and the switches that ensue once Charizard is out, can help you with the prediction.

Get rid of Dragon Pulse, let other things deal with dragons (like Hydreigon there, or Donphan to an extent should keep Garchomp and Salamence away), and get something better instead. Maybe Focus Blast or HP Ground?

Of course, a better solution is obviously to not use Charizard altogether. But hey if you can make it work props to you.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom