• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Storing memories.

Freesia

At your service~
Reaction score
I remember when I was younger I was a writer. I really enjoyed it, and I would write full improvised short stories on paper, and then staple it together and store it. It used to be one of my favorite things to do while growing up. My stories were to the very least, not very good, but I look back at it and remember those days.

I have a drawer in my dresser where I have my stories I've written many years ago stored away, and every so often I open that drawer up and look inside of it, and I decided to reserve that drawer to use it as an indispensable collection of all my stories. :p

Recently I bought I believe was around 15 extra dark chocolate bars from CVS near where I worked, and I decided to store one of them in my drawer so that in a decade or so I can open it and observe the changes, and then re-seal it.

So my question to all of you is do you like to store any of your belongings or creations so you could look back one day with nostalgia? Are you a nostalgic type of person or do you prefer to only move forward and not look back?

I haven't stored any of my belongings just for the nostalgia, but I can be quite nostalgic when I bump upon something that reminds me of the old times. I do look back a lot but don't feel the need to store items that will make me reminisce that all just because I tend to do it a lot anyway.

I have a few journals with scribbles in them, but they don't make much sense or mean much of anything to me. The only thing I actively "store" is a sort-of yearly progress report on my life that I look at every year, but that's kind of boring? :I

I have a box of essays I written for school, as well as some (terrible) drawings I made when I was a kid. My parents actually have more stored than I do, some were poems I've written to them and letters and cards and whatnot.

Honestly, I had a seizure awhile back that's left me with holes in my memory so I don't remember a lot of things. For instance, my parents cleared out our storage unit today for whatever reason, and found my old yearbook from third grade. ... I don't remember half the people in my class and I grew up with those people. I had decorated around the pictures of all my friends and one of them I was like, ... I have no idea who that is at all. ^<__<^;;

For me, I believe that the past is only there for us to learn from and grow from, not to dwell on too much, although obviously if you've got happy memories then yeah of course, those are good to think about. I just mean I don't really look back that much; I'm more of a looking forward type of person (may or may not be because of the holes in my memory so I don't really have a choice? Who knows).

I do like to keep random things sometimes though. Another thing that was in the storage unit was a tiny owl plushie with a graduation cap that said "Class of 2004" on it. ... I... am not sure why I have this since I graduated high school in 2001, got my AA in 2003 I am almost 100% sure of, and my BA in 2010 or 2011. But mum claims that my grandma gave it to me so I'm keeping it since grandma died years ago and I don't have much to remember her by (I do have her engagement and wedding rings but those stay safely inside my jewelry box in the back of my closet).

For some bizarre reason, I still have a stuffed dragon toy from when I was only a few weeks old. I'm 22 now and it's still in my room. I don't know why, but I... just can't bring myself to part with it.

I store loads of memory stuff! I still have almost every drawing I've ever made in my life and also all the scripts of the plays I performed in. I keep every cinema ticket I buy in a little book and I have a small box with some random stuff that is tied to important memories. Like a gift from my first boyfriend (a picture cut from a shiny Pokémon card with a rope on it, so it could be worn as a necklace ^^), and a coin I got on the evening my mom called that my cat had to go because it ate some of my stepdad's pidgeons :(

I guess I'm a very nostalgic person ^^;

I have a collection of my memories in my drawer. They're mostly collectibles I got from fan events, but there are also letters that I exchanged with my friends and an album of old photos.

I also have a small jewelry box where I keep gifts I got from my ex-boyfriend. Ah, the bittersweet memories...

I never stored my memories, but my parents did. They kept my old drawings dating all the way back to when I was in pre-Kindergarten. One I remember fondly because the teachers gave me so much praise was an image I drew from a book we were reading: The Wolf's Chicken Stew. I also have a bunch of images I did of Looney Tunes characters and animals. Hell, I even have my old drawings of Pokemon and Fakemon (the Fakemon do embarrass me a bit and I would like to forget those) :ROFLMAO:. I love to look at my old drawings of my younger years just to see how much I improved while still learning everyday. They're also good on just looking back and remembering how simple life was without home computers and graphic tablets.

I am kind of a hoarder, and have a hard time throwing things away. I currently have old collections of seashells, stones, pokémoncards and glass figurines among other stuff. I also have a bookshelf that mainly consists of old books I don't really read too much anymore. There is this one book with old norwegian folktales, which my grandmother used to read to me and my cousins. There is also a collection of Carl Barks' comics on the top of the shelf. My father gave them to me, and they mean a lot to me, as we used to read them together when I was still too young to read for myself.

For some bizarre reason, I still have a stuffed dragon toy from when I was only a few weeks old. I'm 22 now and it's still in my room. I don't know why, but I... just can't bring myself to part with it.
Almost a year on and it's still there. I've considered dusting and fixing it up once or twice for one of those many little cousins of mine, to whom I may as well be an uncle just by the age difference. The extended family is still growing, which means more memories to create.

I don't have space to store things in my current living situation. But even if I did, I absolutely cannot stand clutter, so most of it will end up in the trash after a few years. I won't throw away birthday cards and the like though. I tend to be oddly sentimental about anything I'm given, even if it's trivial.

Digitally though, I am a bit more of a storage hog, because I have far more easy access to finding them and they don't take up any physical space. I have chatlogs from years and years ago with close friends. Also, I do have some old diary entries. Nowadays, I am actively storing memories by writing in my own diary in a document, once everyday without fail. I do this less so I can look back, and more so I can retain things in my mind easier as I've been forgetting way too many things lately. (The act of writing itself solidifies things in my head)

If I'm honest, I'm just not that much of a memories person though. Everytime I look back, it depresses me. Nostalgia isn't something I find happy. I'd rather be happy right now. I do get tempted by curiosity of looking back on what things used to be like at times, because I still store them just in case there's something specific I need to remember. I try not to dwell on it too much though. I'll just take what I forgot in the past, if I find it worthwhile, and bring it back with me into the future so that I can improve my life.

I actually have an entire locker dedicated to my books and notebooks. In addition to the fact that these books can be put to use at any point in time, such as, if I forgot something I really need to know, it is my attempt to preserve my school memories, and keep these non-complaining, non-demanding friends of childhood, with me.

i have a bad memory so i save everything from rappers to rocks as to not forget my memories

I keep a lot of my old drawings. I have an entire folder filled with sketches and stuff I done at the age of around 4-5, possibly younger as well. They're pretty bad, but I was young so that's to be expected.
I have another folder filled with around 250 Fakemon I drew, most from around the age of 10-11. I was obsessed with creating Fakemon, and looking back on them now the designs are awful and cluttered, but I remembering the fun I had creating them is nice. Ah, back in the good ol' days when I didn't hate my art so much :/
I also have a lot of really old stuffed toys. I even still have the first toy I was even given, a duck that I called 'Gum' (no idea why). I still have old Bambi and Pilchard (from Bob the Builder) toys from my childhood as well.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom