• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Story Discussion

None of this explains why Necrozma needs another legendary to regain its true form. The use of stones to defeat Necrozma is unclear, but it sounds more interesting than what happens in the actual games.

Necrozma needs light in order to regain its full form, and Solgaleo/Lunala just happen to be like a giant walking lightbulb. I don’t think it’s so much that Necrozma needs them specifically to transform (ignore the game mechanics here, we need forms to throw on the box covers), since it also sucked all of the light from Megalopolis after the URS’s ancestors drove it mad and damaged its body. It’s just trying to consume light from wherever it can get it, and Solgaleo/Lunala are a potent source.

The more crucial element seems to be the presence of a Z-Power Ring, which is hinted to be the part of Necrozma’s body that it lost. After Necrozma fuses with Nebby and goes back to Megalopolis, the URS say that even at that point it won’t be able to control its power, because of the missing part of its body.

Also, why did the URS want Lusamine to use Nebby for teleportation when they have their own Solgaleo and Lunala? That seems like a plot hole designed to retain the SM drama.

I think it’s because, well, why risk their own Solgaleo/Lunala? They want Necrozma to be subdued, so it arguably makes more sense to send somebody (Lusamine) in from a distance to confront Necrozma than it does to have someone charge on the steed that risks making Necrozma more powerful.

But because Lusamine took matters into her own hands and Necrozma ended up taking Nebby anyway, their hands were forced.

That makes sense, but the URS should have said that outright.

I feel sorry for Nebby. The Kyurem fusion was sort of understandable, but Nebby shouldn't be used as a power source - by the player, no less. And the real reason for this is Game Freak's insistence on two versions...

Here's a question:

Is there any sign of a ghost girl in USUM? I'm pretty sure every game since BW has had one (though SuMo's was in the demo rather than the game proper), even Magikarp Jump had one. It's become a bizarre tradition at this point.

That makes sense, but the URS should have said that outright.

I feel sorry for Nebby. The Kyurem fusion was sort of understandable, but Nebby shouldn't be used as a power source - by the player, no less. And the real reason for this is Game Freak's insistence on two versions...
Technically, you don’t need to use Nebby for this. You could always use that Cosmog from the other world instead. But yeah, I agree that Game Freak shouldn’t allow us to use Nebby like that. As a matter of fact, why is the player allowed to get items to use these Forms from an in-universe standpoint anyways?

That wouldn't make me feel better, lol. That poor Cosmog is essentially being kidnapped. At least in Nebby's case Lillie wants it to be eaten by Necrozma, for some messed up reason.

The items were invented by Colress. I think he gives them to the player as soon as Necrozma gets caught.

Necrozma needs light in order to regain its full form, and Solgaleo/Lunala just happen to be like a giant walking lightbulb. I don’t think it’s so much that Necrozma needs them specifically to transform (ignore the game mechanics here, we need forms to throw on the box covers), since it also sucked all of the light from Megalopolis after the URS’s ancestors drove it mad and damaged its body. It’s just trying to consume light from wherever it can get it, and Solgaleo/Lunala are a potent source.

The more crucial element seems to be the presence of a Z-Power Ring, which is hinted to be the part of Necrozma’s body that it lost. After Necrozma fuses with Nebby and goes back to Megalopolis, the URS say that even at that point it won’t be able to control its power, because of the missing part of its body.
I should have said this earlier, but I can now imagine Necrozma using our own Rotom from the Pokédex as a potent power source as well. I mean, it can use a bunch of O-Power like abilities and channel Z-Power. Just imagine how powerful Necrozma would become in-universe thanks to that...

I tend to assume that Kyurem and Necrozma’s fusion processes, when happening in the wild (or when forcibly compelled, as Kyurem’s was by Ghetsis), are a bit different from when they occur under the player’s control. A wild Kyurem or Necrozma would have no reason to care about Reshiram/Zekrom’s or Solgaleo/Lunala’s will, since it is just hungering for their power. In fact, the suppression of their will makes sense in that regard, because in order to keep that source of power constant, Kyurem and Necrozma would need to be dominant over them.

But when the player owns both of them, they can both properly consent to the merger. In that scenario, I picture it more as Reshiram/Zekrom and Solgaleo/Lunala lending their power to Kyurem and Necrozma, acting sort of like a tag team.

I suppose this is the kind of thing that they should explain outright, much like how the Gen 7 Mega Evolution entries are somewhat obviously meant to contextualize the need for the strong bond, but then, if they did that then I couldn’t take credit for headcanon explanations like this so... :p

They sort of imply that Nebby wants to help Necrozma because Lillie asks it to, but I find it unconvincing. I'd let Necrozma rot, aching for the light it doesn't deserve.

I really hope that fusion doesn't rear its ugly head again, especially not as a general mechanic.

Well, someone over on Tumblr just spoiled it. I have seen two lines of dialogue and a LOT of discussion. It seems to really be true that Colress achieves a sort of major-ish character status, as in, he's important to the storyline more than tangentially. And that he has crossed the threshold and become something of a protagonist. Someone at Gamefreak is looking out for me.

"I'm so used to giving, and now I get to receive."

I'm back having actually finished the game and yeah, this was so good and more than I could've ever hoped for. Why does this man keep fusing legendaries together. How has he avoided jail for two years...

Really the whole Necrozma situation is pretty wild, I like that we get an explanation for its erratic behaviors here. Still miffed you can't fuse all three legendaries into one, but I can wait. I have viewed it as not particularly painful, just jarring and scary when done suddenly. Both Kyurem and Necrozma crave something they have lost; under the direction of a trainer (i.e. you), the process can be undergone peacefully.

K, so I got to the climactic scenes. And honestly, this story was worse than SM's. I feel like taking away Lusamine's focus on Ultra Beasts made her seem less selfish and weird, which are traits I liked about her. Taking the focus away from her family drama, and not really showing how much her family suffered because of things, also made her less tragic and interesting. It's made worse by throwing in the Ultra Recon Squad and have them barely do anything until the end, aside from give exposition and take control of the story.

Good thing I don't play for the plot, because this story just feels like it was poorly cobbling a bunch of ideas together.

If you say so. It's easy to call something peaceful when you aren't the one going through it.
To be fair, I feel like that promotional poster of Nebby giving Necrozma flowers was kind of a hint that Nebby doesn't really hate the black prism. Of course, this just characterizes Nebby as nice and doesn't really change what Necrozma did. It's either that or Nebby got some sort of power-high after the initial pain and goes along with it because of how awesome said surge of power is.

Of course Game Freak want us to think that Nebby doesn't mind. They also want us to believe that every game is the best ever and a labor of love. Okay.

I just find it woefully unconvincing when Nebby doesn't have a real connection to Necrozma and the Ultra form basically engulfs it altogether.

From what I've seen, I think I actually prefer the original story to the changes made here...Though I've only watched the climax and RR, so I might be missing some details.

It's weird that they decided to retain Lusamine's cruelty to her children, and even the frozen Pokemon, but then she's still kind of a good guy...? It just doesn't work, writing that on top of the existing game.

Strangely I prefer the post-game mini arc too, at least how it was written. The whole story surrounding Anabel as a Faller, or learning about the UBs and their history in the Region was a bit more interesting than Rainbow Rocket ended up being. The boss rush looks cool, but they all just showed up, largely unaware of the circumstances. I was expecting some solidarity, a group ideal, or something like that. lol.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, I think I actually prefer the original story to the changes made here...Though I've only watched the climax and RR, so I might be missing some details.

It's weird that they decided to retain Lusamine's cruelty to her children, and even the frozen Pokemon, but then she's still kind of a good guy...? That's pretty terrible. I mean, she was terrible originally, but that was the idea. It was a cut and dry tragedy. It's hard to buy her as well meaning given the nature of what she's done.

Strangely I prefer the post-game mini arc too, at least how it was written. The whole story surrounding Anabel as a Faller, or learning about the UBs and their history in the Region was a bit more interesting than Rainbow Rocket ended up being. The boss rush looks cool, but they all just showed up, largely unaware of the circumstances. I was expecting some solidarity, a group ideal, or something like that. lol.
Glad I'm not the only one that felt that way about her portrayal it felt like they still was gonna do the Mother Beast thing which was a great part of the story but ditched it last minute which I feel could've been left in then after the Necrozma stuff since she got off too easy(although she regrets doing it postgame dialogue) maybe she doesn't get severely poison this time and Lillie still departs after the RR episode to go to Kanto over Gladion which felt no impact at all imo but can be battled with later on and still partnered with instead of an inevitable cameo battle in future Gens.

Hi, in rainbow rocket episode, I think the team bosses dialogues are really interesting.
In RS , archie and maxie actually ask you for help because they cant control their pokemons and things are messed. USUM Archie and Maxie are even crazier than normal, and dont realize what they have done. They succeded in dry/flood the earth, in control their legendaries, but would still die to the powers of their pokemon . Maxie fell on a fissure and archie was drown in a big wave, and both were unconscious when they arrived at USUM, if wormhole didnt take them, they would die. ]

I think Cyrus is the most interesting because he didnt really needed the player to be stopped. In platinum, we actually fail to stop him, and giratina shows up to stop him. The only difference here is that giratina maybe was a little late, maybe because it was busy getting the platinum cyrus, and brought cyrus to USUM world and not to distortion world . Cyrus specifically said that " the big shadow brought me to this world". I wonder , if there is only one distortion world, it would eventually become full of Cyrus...

Ghetsis just sais he was sumoned and lysandre just describes a ultra wormhole swalowing him. Ghetsis hits Lillie and threats to kill her, i think its cruelty in a level never shown in pokemon games before. It was nice that colress turned agains him. I wonder if ghetsis killed N... he has his dragon, and ghetsis would never be chosen by a dragon. Maybe ghetsis made N give his dragon to his and killed him without the dragon knowing? His own child? Thats disturbing. Also disturbing is the fact that giovanny has all the previous villains as allies , but just wants to poison lusamine, wich is also the only female, so that she would be his puppet. He was also all alone with her in his room, while she was unconscious, what makes me think about the dirty things that could have happened before we arrived.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom