• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Story Discussion

To make matters worse, she probably got that high-leveled Clefairy from her mom.

This too yeah. All her talk about wanting to become more independent and all, and then shows up with a Pokémon from a line her mom owns too, and has probably gotten it from her too :/

I guess it's maybe supposed to show that the relation between her and her mom is now good again, but it just feels wrong.

Not sure what this game is supposed to tell you with this anyway: even if your mom treats you like shit, she's still your mom and you should love her and run happily back to her when she asks it?

They should have just shown her receive Clefairy at a reasonable level and head off to her island challenge. Her last line makes it unclear what the hell she's doing.

The story is terrible and is easily the worst part of the game. They had some nice ideas about how an aternate universe would work and how Necrozma would be involved, but due to Lack of resources/Time constraints/Pure laziness they had to force the ideas they had into what was already done, causing lots of plotholes and weird characterization.

What bothered me the most is how they directly replaced things instead of expanding them. Moving the focus from the popular Ultra Beasts to the unpopular Necrozma and giving the game the name of Ultra anyway is an actual thing they did.

The things I enjoyed were the Ultra Warp Ride and the changes in the 3 of Poni's trials, but some fans won't consider them part of the story.

Thankfully, it's Pokemon, so you can just smash the A button and get into a decently designed battle, but it makes me worried about the future of third versions/remakes/sequels.

Introducing the Ultra Recon Squad and the Megalopolis, and then underusing them severely was a big waste of potential. I have a feeling that they could have taken out all the new characters and expand Colress's actions instead and the overall arc would have still worked somehow. Heck, it was Colress who created the tools to make the Necrozma fusions after all. What's the point of introducing new characters if an old cameo is going to provide the two most important plot "devices" of the games? I'm glad he got more focus, but the Gen7 characters shouldn't have been made to become less important than a cameo.

If Lillie's Clefairy is really such a big deal to some people, just turn to her Battle Tree team instead. Ribombee and Comfey definitely don't scream "Lusamine".

If Lillie's Clefairy is really such a big deal to some people, just turn to her Battle Tree team instead. Ribombee and Comfey definitely don't scream "Lusamine".
Why is Lillie's Clefairy a problem, though? Lusamine raised Lillie - it is obvious her pokemon choices would reflect Lusamine's tastes unconsciously. Ribombee and Comfey also would have fit in well with Lusamine's team choice - being cute and beautiful. Lillie's pokemon doesn't seem too weird.

It's arguable that the game was inconsistent with Lillie and making her battle with a Clefairy afer trying to distance herself with her mom, but on the contrary, it just proves how parents can influence their kids (both good and bad) on a subconscious level - even the most seemingly trivial words and actions could leave a lasting impression on the child.

Why is Lillie's Clefairy a problem, though? Lusamine raised Lillie - it is obvious her pokemon choices would reflect Lusamine's tastes unconsciously. Ribombee and Comfey also would have fit in well with Lusamine's team choice - being cute and beautiful. Lillie's pokemon doesn't seem too weird.

It's arguable that the game was inconsistent with Lillie and making her battle with a Clefairy afer trying to distance herself with her mom, but on the contrary, it just proves how parents can influence their kids (both good and bad) on a subconscious level - even the most seemingly trivial words and actions could leave a lasting impression on the child.
Not to mention that an interview about SM confirmed that Lillie was designed with a theme of the moon in mind. Since Clefairy is associated with the moon and evolves with a Moon Stone, you can say that the decision got the devs to give her a Clefairy has more to do with Lillie’s concept rather than being a callback to Lusamine. The fact that Lusamine uses a Clefable probably slipped their minds at the time.

Besides, who said Lusamine gave it to her? For all we know, Lillie could have snatched it up from those frozen Pokémon when she wasn’t looking. That’s what her brother did. :p

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about this story. What they did with Lusamine in this version just doesn't sit right with me. Shes really abusive twords her kids in a way and while sun/moon don't let her get away with it Ultra does and that doesn't seem ok to me.

On the other hand I love Necrozma and the whole story surrounding it. I loved having more focus being put on ultra space and the story surrounding the ultra recon Squade was amazing even if it felt a bit forced at times.

I have mixed feelings about this story. What they did with Lusamine in this version just doesn't sit right with me. Shes really abusive twords her kids in a way and while sun/moon don't let her get away with it Ultra does and that doesn't seem ok to me.

On the other hand I love Necrozma and the whole story surrounding it. I loved having more focus being put on ultra space and the story surrounding the ultra recon Squade was amazing even if it felt a bit forced at times.

I enjoyed the concept of the Ultra Recon Squad, but their home dimension was really a disappointment. It would have been nice to explore, even if to collect rare items and battle trainers. It could have been the "black tower" of USUM.

I think Lusamine should have been softened personality wise for USUM. Like you say, she keeps up her abusive nature but is suddenly an okay person towards the end.

So I've finally completed the main story.

Ultra Necrozma is one of the hardest battles in Pokemon history imo. He honestly almost made me want to quit until I had Arbok with Quick Claw + Toxic to cheese his HP slowly THEN continue to use Revives until he had died.

Otherwise yeah. The game is honestly better than I had hoped. The main storyline wasn't that bad. There are some definite notes I want to put. Such as everyone saying that Megalopolis should've been a bigger area; to which I agree. Also the idea that Lillie should've taken more time to become a trainer and mature; including the Foundation's overall premise in the story. I mean it's kind of obvious that Lusamine is the villain; despite how nice the Foundation looks, she doesn't give the best vibes from her interactions with the player early on. Otherwise yeah, Skull Gang is funny asf, the trials are basic and just enough bite sized content to deal with, and yeah. Ultra Sun was a great experience. Just looking forward to the endgame stuff.

I used Dialga to fight against Necrozma. Dialga may not have listened everytime but I managed to do it.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom