• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Strange/annoying things in the anime

Shiny Noctowl

Go! PikaBot!
Reaction score
Discuss anything in the anime which you have found strange or annoying. Don't talk about dubbing mistakes here (there's already a thread) for that; only list things which were in the original Japanese version as well.

Stuff like the common anime expressions/animations is weird imo.

What's annoying is the fact that because they just NEED to promote a game with a new character when traveling in its region and using that generations pokemon isn't enough, we can't have characters like Misty or Dawn stay with Ash and they keep adding a new traveling companion each new series.

That they did not keep the first theme song it was epic and great.

i dont like most of the new ones but i love the first one:party:

also that they never showed porygon,porygon2 or porygonZ in english(this is due to porygon was showen in jappanes)

probly due that porygon gave some people sezurs

and team rocket never wins

Porygon2 and PorygonZ not appearing. It was Pikachu who did it.

what i've always found strange is how the gym leaders barely know each other. brock didn't even know misty was the gym leader of the cerulean city gym. seriously, you should know about this. you became a gym leader, therefore you should know about the other gym leaders. brock and misty should have said things when ash met erika, koga, and the rest, really. one could have commented on sabrina and said something like, "she's always been a malicious girl. i don't even know why she got promoted. the other kanto gym leaders have always had contempt for her, right misty?" idkkk.

What's annoying is the fact that because they just NEED to promote a game with a new character when traveling in its region and using that generations pokemon isn't enough, we can't have characters like Misty or Dawn stay with Ash and they keep adding a new traveling companion each new series.

It's annoying, but being a long running series, the show needs a way to usher new viewers, and having a newbie trainer is one of the best ways to do it. The show needs to ultimately renew it's character roster every new generation otherwise it gets stagnant and that simply isn't good for business.

Porygon2 and PorygonZ not appearing. It was Pikachu who did it.

How many times do I have to drive this point home? the Porygon family is banned because they're the ones that are most closely related to the episode. The episode almost caused the show to get canceled entirely.

It doesn't fucking matter at all who did what in the episode. Anything associated with it is ultimately not going to be referenced. Ever.

People who still go "Pikachu actually did it blah blah blah bring back Porygon" are just plain naive.

Anyway, I find the fandom far more annoying then anything the anime itself can come up with if you can't tell by now.

Anyway, I find the fandom far more annoying then anything the anime itself can come up with if you can't tell by now.

I second this.

I don't know if this would be either annoying or strange... but it's a little scary: various raepfaces, Team Galactic ones being right up there. I've seen worse on Yu-Gi-Oh and DBZ, but still...

Thank you for making this thread, I can now let out my rage on this one word: BROCK!

You don't know how much that kid really annoys me.

If his brother is Forrest, then he must be Bubba.

He is such a show-off, that show-off.

I hate how he mistreats Ash, Misty, May, Max and Dawn when he meets a girl.

Some of the writing.

"Oh no, she's holding a pokeball."

(Team Rocket Grunt) "Don't make us take them."

And what they did to the TRio. Ugh.

Cages with bars made of metal. Some how, these jails are "shock-proof".

Everything explodes. Everything. Electricity. Bubbles. Watermelons. And it always works too, except when it conveniently doesn't.

PokeDex scanning.

Long-winded explanations.

Really cheap animation.

One-hit K.O.'s

Things or characters that make one early appearence and then never return. These characters get swallowed up by the plot monster.

The overuse of Beedrill.

Having to see attacks that shouldn't work working and having to cringe seeing attacks that should work not working. Any time a Ghost move hits a Normal Pokemon or any time a 100% accuracy move missed, for example.

Ho-oh. Stupid Pokemon, do something already!

I always wondered why the gym leaders don't know each other as well. There are only a few gyms in Kanto. You'd think they'd know others of the same occupation.

Still, nothing compares to the actual Pokemon fandom...

How many times can Ash forget that Electric attacks don't work on Ground type pokemon, and even worse when anime physics disregards that.

Everything explodes. Even have a good example. How does a drain punch hitting a bounce make an explosion? (Dawn and Maylene's battle)

Music. I don't think I noticed it till I was watching the episodes with Maylene this afternoon, but they were playing music from the 8th movie. Not enough of the amazing music from the movies in the anime.

Let alone a Headbutt colliding with a Guillotine, in Morrison's double battle...

I hate how SO many Pokemon and characters have been forgotten in the series, not even mentioned in a period of able remembrance.

I mean, if Ash doesn't seem to age, it really can't be that long since they met said Pokemon or character.

It's like the movies, which are completely non-canon. When is Ash EVER going to get his Pidgeot back?!

The most common "strange thing" in the anime would have to be... Of course, the explosions. You know, every time an attack clashes with another attack, it results in a small explosion in the middle of the air. I didn't think soap bubbles colliding with some seeds would create an explosion.

- Team Rocket somehow accumulating money to build machine after machine every episode. Also, they spontaneously acquire these machines in at most a couple of hours after coming up with their new plans. Most of these mechas are highly detailed and the overall designs would take years of construction. Most of these machines are of their own design (i.e. Wobbuffet robot in Power Play referencing how Wobbuffet can counter attacks with double the damage). It's also safe to say that Giovanni doesn't fund them much, since they have a horrible track record.

- Ash and co. somehow being able to carry pokemon that are very heavy in the games (i.e. Larvitar).

- Ash promising several COTDs that he promises to meet up with them or see them again when most of the time he often does not. I mean, they can just say goodbye and get it over with.

- PokeDex scanning of pokemon we have seen in the anime several times in a short amount of time. For example, Dawn scans Paul's Electivire when Paul sends it out to battle against Barry. Yet, a few episodes back, Dawn watches Ash battle Volkner's Electivire.

- The inconsistency in terms of attack immunities. For example, in one episode, ghost-type attacks like Shadow Ball would be able to damage a Normal-Type pokemon. However, in others, Ghost-type attacks have no effect on Normal-Type pokemon. In the Grand Festival final, Dawn was questioning why Glameow would use Shadow Claw against Togekiss, a Normal-Type pokemon. This was inferring that the normal-type immunity to ghost-type attacks was present in the anime.

- Size inconsistencies of certain pokemon. Hariyama, a remarkably large pokemon, is supposed to be over 7 feet tall yet it appears to be at most 5 and a half feet tall.

- Featuring gym badges that are not in the games. In theory, Ash only needs 8 gym badges to compete in a league competition. And yet, some of his rivals are shown with badges that are not in the games. It makes it all the less important that Ash actually needs to battle certain gym leaders from the games. He can just easily go to an anime-only gym and battle its trainer for a badge.

Last edited:
Was it ever explained why Team Rocket wanted Pikachu so much? I think it was but it was probably some B.S.'d reason like "It's a rare and powerful breed" or something like that. Giovanni showed a lot of interest in it initially but now it's like... TR just sticks around just because they have a soft spot for the twirps.

Oh, definitely, that last sentence.

But it was also because they thought that Pikachu was much more powerful than your average Pikachu because it blew up the hospital while shocking Team Rocket in like the 2nd episode or so. So they keep chasing it because they know it's really, really powerful. Not to mention that now, other than the soft spot reason, Ash travels with companions, giving them extra chances to steal other Pokemon besides Ash's.

"Oh wow, he won!"
"Of course. Water conducts electricity, so Zenigame had NO CHANCE against Pikachu's electric attacks!"

All of Takeshi's explanations are annoying and unneeded, but this one is just terrible. One of the FIRST things you're taught as a child is "keep electrical objects away from water". Do we really need to be told this each region?

I also hate how SHOCKED AND APPALLED Satoshi and co. act each time it turns out to be Team Rocket. This has happened hundreds of times now kid. Stop acting so amazed.

I like Team Rocket but they are ONLY shown through Jesse & James.
And they are STUUUUUUUUUUUPIIIIIIIID.
And they are SO dedicated to do the same DAMN thing!!
But look at what they did in the Johto-seasons, they sorta changed it up. (At LEAST they didn't say a motto every episode & say "We're Blastin off AGAIIIN" every damn Time!)

-_-

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom