• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Strange yet Effective Strategies

L.L.

Lord of the Whales
Reaction score
We've all seen the usual strategies. The Fake Out Mienshao, the Choice Chandelure, theTailwind Latias. But what about all the others you almost never see? Discuss some you've seen or done here!

I'll start with two Shuckle strategies.
First, I'll often use a Shuckle-Trick Room combo in double battles while using power trick on the first turn. Assuming the Trick Room mon survives to use it, you've now got a Shuckle with over 200 power (at level 50) going first with Stone Edge. I usually then use a Bronzong as the Trick Room mon for its Hypnosis.

In single battles, I'll use a different Shuckle. I set up Trick Room from a first mon, and switch out or let it faint to send out Shuckle. It'll then use Power Swap to essentially split the foes attack stats in half, then start using she'll smash while the foe struggles to land any good hits. You guess what happens next.

My only problem with the second is that I forgot my Shuckle had the Contrary ability.

a personal favorite of mine is stored power Sigilyph. its simple yet effective, you give it a flame orb the ability magic guard and teach it psycho shift, cosmic power, roost and stored power. use psycho shift to burn the target then spam cosmic power till a point were almost nothing can OHKO it. then use stored power that now does 240 damage thanks to stab and those cosmic powers. also roost is to recover if you need it between cosmic powers. you need to be careful and wait for a good time to set up but once you do it is almost unbeatable and has personally saved me from a bad corner countless times on my OU team.

Unfortunately, I've been caught off guard by stored power Sigilyph all too often.
I personally love running a dual baton pass and Volt Switch Jolteon. No one really expects it, so if they expect me to Baton Pass, I can Volt Switch out for the kill. True, I lose a movespot, but Jolteon's rather lackluster defensive capabilities mean it isn't lasting as long as it used to in any case.

Double battle with a Terrakion and a Whimsicott out on your side. Have Whimsicott use Beat Up on Terrakion, and give it a massive boost from Justified. Wipe the floor of the opposing team using Terrakion.

L.L., you mentioned a Fake out Meinshao in the beginning of this thread; I have another strategy for it: Sub-Pass Meinshao. It uses Substitute on turn one, (ally (hopefully) uses Rage powder/Follow me in Doubles,) while my opponent thinks I'll use Fake out. Then on turn two I pass the Substitute to an ally while restoring lost health with Regenerator. I don't actually have one that uses it in-game but on Pokemon online I have one that works OK (especially if their not expecting it.) And for those of you who think Substitute can't be passed: IT CAN!!!

Hydration Dragon Dance Lapras w/ Rest
Moxie Gyarados in Rain
Fake Out Scrafty w/ Moxie paired with lv. 1 TR and Endeavor Whimsicott
Helping Hand Poli w/ Muddy Water Kingdra

And some other stuff that I can't think of at the moment.

(Haven't actuly tested this yet so don't know how effective this is) Contrary Spinda uses Skill swap on Hydreigon/Chandalure/Venasaur then Hydreigon uses Draco meteor/Chandalure uses Overheat/Venasaur uses Leaf strom to RAISE it's Sp.Attack by two.

(Haven't actuly tested this yet so don't know how effective this is) Contrary Spinda uses Skill swap on Hydreigon/Chandalure/Venasaur then Hydreigon uses Draco meteor/Chandalure uses Overheat/Venasaur uses Leaf strom to RAISE it's Sp.Attack by two.

Use could also use a serperior with leaf storm since its hidden ability is contrary.

Use could also use a serperior with leaf storm since its hidden ability is contrary.

The problem with that is DW Snivy/Servine/Serperior hasn't been released yet.

Well I guess we can look forward to that. I don't use DW so yeah.

Well I guess we can look forward to that. I don't use DW so yeah.

The thing about DW starters is that, unless you live in Japan, you don't really get any of them. Plus they're male only so no breeding. And yes, I know that there were the Sinnoh starters, but you only got one and had to buy BW2 from Wal-Mart. Shame I'm morally opposed to that place. Besides, if we're talking DW's to release, I'd pick Lightningrod Zapdos anyday. Stupid people picking Arceus for the DW promotion. Arceus doesn't even get a DW ability!

And so this post is kinda on-topic...
Telepathy Musharna w/ Helping Hand and Explosion w/ Normal Gem Metagross
Nasty surprise. Especially if you're expecting TR instead.

I've come up with a strategy-untested, but it seems workable. Take an Amoonguss, with its hidden ability Regenerator. Train it for HP and Defense. Give it Leech Seed and Giga Drain, as well as Leftovers. Add something for simple damage, to hit things that are resistant to Grass-types-try Hidden Power Fire, or even Hyper Beam/Giga Impact. Give it the infamous Spore for a finisher. Giga Drain and Leech Seed, plus Leftovers, makes Amoonguss practically indestructible-its HP is returned every turn, and the high HP can keep it going pretty well. If things aren't going well, Spore the crap out of all opponents and switch out so Regenerator will kick in. The opponents will still be asleep, so you can switch Amoonguss back in to kick even more butt. Hyper Beam or Giga Impact's recharge turn won't matter, as Leech Seed will keep dealing damage(minor, but still) and the foes will be asleep. It's especially effective against Sandstorm and Rain teams, which are very common. If you choose to be risky and change out the all-effective move for a Poison-type move, you can trash Sunny Day teams as well-which are very common. :ching:

FEAR, of course. There was this one time when I told my friend I had an Ultimate Pokemon that could beat anything he threw at it in a 1v1 battle. My friend burst into laughter when he sent a Level 100 Rayquaza against my Level 30 Rattatta; thought it was a joke. Not for long though :D

(Other than that, though, I've never used FEAR. It's pretty unfair and easy to counter as well- it only worked because my friend had never heard of the tactic.)

FEAR, of course. There was this one time when I told my friend I had an Ultimate Pokemon that could beat anything he threw at it in a 1v1 battle. My friend burst into laughter when he sent a Level 100 Rayquaza against my Level 30 Rattatta; thought it was a joke. Not for long though :D

(Other than that, though, I've never used FEAR. It's pretty unfair and easy to counter as well- it only worked because my friend had never heard of the tactic.)

I've seen other people use a different version of this strategy:Lv1 Aron endures an attack with Sturdy, attacks with Endeavor and restores its' HP with it's Shell bell

I've seen other people use a different version of this strategy:Lv1 Aron endures an attack with Sturdy, attacks with Endeavor and restores its' HP with it's Shell bell

Perfect Counter: Sand teams - My specialty. :p

Why is it a perfect counter? Because in order to complete the sweep, many people will lead off with a sand inducer such as Tyranitar or Hippowdon in order to shred away that last 1 hp.. Another strategy that is used is hazards, but a spinner takes care of that easily, especially a spinner with sturdy such as Forretress.

For this strategy to work, it needs to be sandstorming so the opponents are KOed. Since Aaron can't learn Quick Attack.

For this strategy to work, it needs to be sandstorming so the opponents are KOed. Since Aaron can't learn Quick Attack.

It doesn't need to use Quick attack because A:the Aron restores its' health to full which means Sturdy can activate again, B:if its' in a double battle its' ally could use Quick attack, Mach punch, etc. or C:it could be on a Sandstorm team with Sandstorm active and the storm could KO it.

I said a sandstorm. In a double battle, FEAR is unlikely to work and easily thwarted.

In a singles battle, FEAR is unlikely to work and easily thwarted too. lol
Ghosts, entry hazard, priority, status, weather, abilities (Mold Breaker, or defensively Iron Barbs, Rough Skin, etc.)... Every competitive player should have the first four at any rate.

But yes, FEAR Aron is used over the other FEAR 'mons because it's reusable. And if your insane enough to use it, you really do need that weather.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom