• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Strange yet Effective Strategies

A guy used an interesting Arbok against me once. It had Rest, Stored Power, Bite and Glare, the ability Shed Skin, the Item Black Sludge, and was probably trained for Defense and/or Special Defense. The Black Sludge worked like leftovers, healing every turn, he used Glare to Paralyze my pokemon, Stored Power three times to throw his Defense and Special Defense Sky High, Bite for some damage and to make my pokemon flinch over and over, and if it's HP got low, it used Rest and the Shed Skin meant it recovered quickly, sometimes the next turn. It was damn hard to kill. Actually I couldn't kill it, even with my Quiver Dance Volcarona (I think, I can't remember what I was trying to kill it with), I only won the match because he forfeited, since his Arbok wouldn't die but bite couldn't do enough damage to kill my pokemon before I could Roost it off or leftovers took care of it for me, so he just got impatient.

I'm considering trying an Arbok that works similarly. Maybe Sludge Bomb/Acid Spray/Stockpile/Rest? Or Stockpile/Toxic/Bite/Rest?

Abomasnow + Cleffa + Clefairy + Clefable with the 3 fairies all at level 1 or 2. They have Magic Guard and Focus Sash so it's a fear strategy, except it works better than Aron because of hail vs sandstorm. This actually does work really well, except against things with multi-hit moves such as Breloom and Ambipom, Ice types, Ghost types, and pokemon that change the weather. I have really tried to find 2 teammates to balance out the rest of the team and make this work competitively, but I haven't been able to (the closest thing I got was Walrein + Dugtrio)

EDIT: Also, I have used the Arbok mentioned in the post above me in my team rocket themed team. From experience, you want to set up Arbok as more offensive than that. Your opponent will still probably be able to kill Arbok, so you need to be threatening as well. For this reason I used Coil + Rest instead of Stockpile + Rest and maxed stats in HP/Sp. Def. Coil also lets you use Gunk Shot, so throw in Earthquake as a final move to hit steel types and then just realize that Skarmory is unbeatable.

From the same team rocket team I also learned that Lickitung with Eviolite is surprisingly bulky. Unfortunately its offensive capabilities are still terrible, but you aren't completely helpless. I used Wish + Protect + Toxic + Seismic Toss, which leaves you vulnerable against several pokemon, but also lets you beat most non-setup-sweepers that aren't poison, fighting, or ghost type.

Last edited:
assist liepard + shadow force smeargle. i think my opponent had spikes, too.

it's invulnerable for thirty-two turns unless you have a normal-type. notwithstanding that, it's not too hard to tank the hits even if you don't have a normal-type.

assist liepard + shadow force smeargle. i think my opponent had spikes, too.

it's invulnerable for thirty-two turns unless you have a normal-type. notwithstanding that, it's not too hard to tank the hits even if you don't have a normal-type.

I've never seen that paired with Shadow Force, though I have seen that with V-Create. If you want to see, the link is below.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-20651579

This may be already well-known, but I think think that one of the most gimmick yet effective tactics is Prankster Riolu.

Firstly, you have to put on field as much entry hazards possible. Ferrothorn is, of course one of the best spikers in the game: its great typing and statisics allows it to take very well both physical and special attacks and easily set up its hazards; furthermore, with just Leech Seed and Power Whip, it can force out most Rapid Spin users, really fearing only the lol-Torkoal, Tentacruel, and the Hitmon-brothers (it beats Forretress one-on-one thanks to Leech Seed, laughs at every Starmie set unless the uncommon Hidden Power Fire, easily beats Donphan with little effort). Other great Spikers/Stealth Rokers are Skarmory and Forretress; Red Card is just hilarious on the latter, since most people tend to try and set up Dragon Dances and Sword Dances on it, just to find themselves phazed out with all sorts of hazards in their field.
I'd suggest you, however, to pair these Pokemons with a Ghost-Type, to prevent your efforts from being Rapid-Spinned away: Jellicent is just about amazing at doing this, fearing only Tentacruel's Toxic and Starmie's Thunders; Gengar, with his infamous Sub-Disable set, can take on most Tentacruel's sets.

If you succeed to set up some of your hazards, you can start annoying the hell out of your opponent with your Riolu: use Roar in the first turn, survive the hit with Focus Sash, and proceed to spam Copycat. Since Riolu has Prankster, and the last move will amost always be your Roar (thanks to its -5 Priority), you'll be able to use a phazing move with +1 Priority! Most of the times, your opponent can't do that much to hit it, unless he has a faster Priority user like Lucario, Breloom or Mamoswine; take note that Timid Riolu outspeeds Adamant Breloom (given the same IVs of course, which is unlikely on Wifi matches, but hey, whatever).

Since you will likely rely on Focus Sash, you should also use a Magic Bouncer like Espeon or Xatu, to prevent Stealth Rocks from ruining your tactic, or a sturdy Rapid Spinner like Donphan, Forretress or Tentacruel. Take note that you are unlikely to find time to both Spin and set up Hazards, so be aware and use your battling skills to your advantage!

That been said, it's hilarious to see a whole OU team being slowly worn down by Copycat Riolu...

This may be already well-known, but I think think that one of the most gimmick yet effective tactics is Prankster Riolu.

Firstly, you have to put on field as much entry hazards possible. Ferrothorn is, of course one of the best spikers in the game: its great typing and statisics allows it to take very well both physical and special attacks and easily set up its hazards; furthermore, with just Leech Seed and Power Whip, it can force out most Rapid Spin users, really fearing only the lol-Torkoal, Tentacruel, and the Hitmon-brothers (it beats Forretress one-on-one thanks to Leech Seed, laughs at every Starmie set unless the uncommon Hidden Power Fire, easily beats Donphan with little effort). Other great Spikers/Stealth Rokers are Skarmory and Forretress; Red Card is just hilarious on the latter, since most people tend to try and set up Dragon Dances and Sword Dances on it, just to find themselves phazed out with all sorts of hazards in their field.
I'd suggest you, however, to pair these Pokemons with a Ghost-Type, to prevent your efforts from being Rapid-Spinned away: Jellicent is just about amazing at doing this, fearing only Tentacruel's Toxic and Starmie's Thunders; Gengar, with his infamous Sub-Disable set, can take on most Tentacruel's sets.

If you succeed to set up some of your hazards, you can start annoying the hell out of your opponent with your Riolu: use Roar in the first turn, survive the hit with Focus Sash, and proceed to spam Copycat. Since Riolu has Prankster, and the last move will amost always be your Roar (thanks to its -5 Priority), you'll be able to use a phazing move with +1 Priority! Most of the times, your opponent can't do that much to hit it, unless he has a faster Priority user like Lucario, Breloom or Mamoswine; take note that Timid Riolu outspeeds Adamant Breloom (given the same IVs of course, which is unlikely on Wifi matches, but hey, whatever).

Since you will likely rely on Focus Sash, you should also use a Magic Bouncer like Espeon or Xatu, to prevent Stealth Rocks from ruining your tactic, or a sturdy Rapid Spinner like Donphan, Forretress or Tentacruel. Take note that you are unlikely to find time to both Spin and set up Hazards, so be aware and use your battling skills to your advantage!

That been said, it's hilarious to see a whole OU team being slowly worn down by Copycat Riolu...

it works well and everyone rages losing to a riolu :p

In RU galvantula is a monster with electo ball+ agility+ focus sash
is breaks slow wall every easy

A while ago (in a Double battle) I got trashed by someone who used a Golduck and an Electric type (can't remember who.) The Golduck used Soak on my 'mons then the Electric type OHKO or THKOed them with Thunderbolt (or something.)

Also, in the Rental Masters tournament in the PWT there is a Spiritomb with this set;
Will-o-Wisp
Swagger
Psych up
Shadow sneak
The aim of this set is to (optionally) burn a physical attacker, Swagger it so it's confused and has an Attack boost and use Psych up to copy said attack boost.

Last edited:
i have'nt seen this b4

serperior @ choice specs trait: contrary
SpA 252 speed 252 hp 4
timid (+speed, -attack)
-leaf storm
-hp rock
leaf storm as slab and the ability contrary increases sp atk by 2 each time (instead of getting weaker) and hp rock for coverage he doesn't get anything worth using on the special side

Two words: SPOOKIE BOOGIE

For those not familiar with the stratgey, the team is based around a Prankster Liepard spamming assist while holding a Lagging Tail. The idea is that the entire team is built of Pokemon with moves that cannot be copied by Assist, with the sole exception of a Smeargle with Shadow Force.

When Liepard uses Assist it will always call Shadow Force, the increased Priority will take it into the invulnerable stage before the enemy can attack, and the Lagging Tail will make the next strike hit after the opponent has made their attack. In this way, you can take down much stronger opponents without taking a single hit. The Liepard usually carries Toxic, Encore, Taunt or Substitute to beat walls and sub abusers.

Shadow Tag Gothitelle and Gothorita are common teammates, and usually using Trick along with items like a Flame Orb so Liepard can beat Steel Types and Ring Target so Shadow Force can hit Normal types. Wobbufett and Ditto are other popular teammates, since the moves they rely on can't be copied by Assist.

Last edited:
A Zoroark with the last 'Mon in your team being a Ghost type or Gengar. The opponent thinks that your "Gengar" is weak to Ghost, Dark and Psychic type attacks and they unwittingly use one of those attacks on it the "Gengar" takes next to no damage and reveals itself to be a Zoroark, effectively getting a free attack.

Recently thought of one. It's how to legitimately get a Dark-Ghost Shedinja in battle. Note that I didn't come up with the whole thing, just improved it to be possible.
You need: 1) Shedinja with high speed and Focus Sash, and Mimic, which can be tutored in Gen III
2) Starmie with Protect and Mirror Coat
3) Something with Tailwind that can get it off then faint in the same turn
4) Must be Double Battle
5) Sableye/Spiritomb
Send out Starmie and the Tailwind Pokémon. Set up Tailwind, and have it faint in the first turn. Have Starmie Protect so it doesn't faint just in case. Send in Shedinja, and have it use Mimic on Starmie, who uses Reflect Type on anyone (If you don't know, that move changes the user into the target's type(s)). If Starmie faints, switch into Sableye or Spiritomb. If not, switch it next turn. Focus Sash will keep Shedinja alive if attacked. On the next turn with one of the two out, have Shedinja use Mimic on it, which will turn it into Dark-Ghost. You take it from there.

It's not perfect, but it can work.

Sandstorm and Hail, which are both common in Doubles, ensure that Shedinja has no place in Doubles, at least in a competitive field.

I once randomized my team for the heck of it on a battle simulator.

Lv 100 Bidoof with Super Fang, Ice Beam, Rest and Substitute with a Shell Bell.

Substitute for Resting, Super Fang to compensate for stupidly low stats, Ice is a great offensive type with nothing immune to it... This thing was surprisingly difficult to down.

Recently thought of one. It's how to legitimately get a Dark-Ghost Shedinja in battle. Note that I didn't come up with the whole thing, just improved it to be possible.
You need: 1) Shedinja with high speed and Focus Sash, and Mimic, which can be tutored in Gen III
2) Starmie with Protect and Mirror Coat
3) Something with Tailwind that can get it off then faint in the same turn
4) Must be Double Battle
5) Sableye/Spiritomb
Send out Starmie and the Tailwind Pokémon. Set up Tailwind, and have it faint in the first turn. Have Starmie Protect so it doesn't faint just in case. Send in Shedinja, and have it use Mimic on Starmie, who uses Reflect Type on anyone (If you don't know, that move changes the user into the target's type(s)). If Starmie faints, switch into Sableye or Spiritomb. If not, switch it next turn. Focus Sash will keep Shedinja alive if attacked. On the next turn with one of the two out, have Shedinja use Mimic on it, which will turn it into Dark-Ghost. You take it from there.

It's not perfect, but it can work.

wether isn´t the only problem. there´s also status problems.

One of my favorite new strategies although its becoming much more common new is flying gem + acrobatics scizor.

You send it in on something that will probably switch out (tyranitar, terrakion, latias etc) use swords dance and then hammer its usual counters with acrobatics

For example at +2 it has a 25% chance to OHKO Jellicent, and puts gliscor and landorus-t in position to be KO'd by a bullet punch on the next turn.

sd acrobatics is probably my favorite scizor set (sdef-heavy choice band is also neat, but i digress); i started using it like a year ago after hearing about it on a smogcast and was thrilled to see that it actually performed with aplomb most of the time. don't forget that it hits tentacruel really hard, too! another uncommon and underrated set is sd quick attack scizor: although qa sounds like a rather gimmicky option, it gives scizor the opportunity to hit a lot of things that would normally be able to either revenge kill or set up on it, viz. volcarona, starmie, gyarados, and it hits keldeo harder than bp. acro is generally better i think, but qa scizor has some notable perquisites.

anyway, i tried using a special landorus-t a few weeks ago because i saw a little blurb about it on smogon and it seemed fun so i decided to try it out. before you knock it, realize that it 2hkos skarm, can 2hko ferro without protect, does like 60% to non-sdef forry, and ohkos garchomp (which iirc normal land-t can't do!). it turns out that it's surprisingly effective. here are a few matches that i played a couple weeks ago with a team utilizing both sd acrobatics scizor and rocky helmet special landorus-t:
OU replay: Lewis Theory vs. marat-test - Pokémon Showdown
OU replay: marat-test vs. Fap Daddy - Pokémon Showdown

unfortunately i never got above 2200—i got haxed really badly, and i don't really intend on playing competitively anymore this gen and possibly not in future gens, so i guess i 'ragequit'! also i can't say that these are top-quality matches; for example, i made numerous misplays and my opponents made some obvious moves and i capitalized on them. notwithstanding the mediocre play, i think these are solid examples of these pokemon performing. incidentally, the team was built around a lucario sweep, but the jackal never really got the chance to shine in many battles... :tear:

Last edited:
Here's one I heven't tested yet but still has potental. It needs a...

Sylveon: Ability:???
Moves:
Draining kiss (optional)
???
Wish
Skill swap

And a...

Furfrou: Ability: Fur coat
Moves:
???
???
???
Protect (optional)

This uses skill swap to get Furfrou's Fur coat Ablility on to Sylveon, who has great Sp.Def. but not as good Def. Then Sylveon can stall with Wish and, if it has it, Draining kiss. It is also best to have a Ground tupe th defend Sylveon from Poison and Steel types.

Special Greninja is common. Physical Greninja(Better Special Stats, Better Physical Movepool) is a pain to deal with.
Greninja
Adamant
252 Atk/92 Def/80SDef/48 HP/40 Spe
@King's Rock
Protean

U-Turn
Water Shuriken
Rock Slide
Aerial Ace

The fact that it is slower than many other sweepers is actually a massive boon. I have seen this sequence countless times.
The foe's Greninja used Grass Knot!
The foe's Greninja's Protean transformed it into the Grass Type!
It's super effective!
Greninja used U-Turn/Aerial Ace!
Greninja's Protean transformed it into the Bug/Flying Type!
It's super effective!
The foe's Greninja fainted!/Go! Blaziken!

The battle video 5ttw-wwww-www2-8kmq shows this strategy perfectly.
It also works as a good scout, and the King's rock gives it a priority move with 20-40% flinch chance.

I recently battled someone who used Speed Boost Blaziken as a Baton Passer to Baton Pass to Mega Kangakhan and sweep.

Speed Boost + Baton Pass Blaziken is more common than you'd think. It caught me completely off guard the first time, but I've been seeing it quite a bit now. The trick is to look at the rest of their team, if they're running a Charizard or a Kangaskhan or a Manectric or something else whose regular form is cruddy, they're probably a Baton Pass Blaziken.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom