• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Striving for equality: Why Bulbagarden is taking a pro-LGBTQ stance

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are indeed teaching; the very statement that "homosexuality is acceptable" teaches young visitors to this site that very thing;

It is acceptable. Anyone thinking otherwise is wrong.

That's like saying we're teaching kids that blacks are equal to whites because we don't allow black people to be attacked. It's an archaic mindset that has no place here.

Heh..... Archaic mindset

-giggle-

Anyways, to basically restate my previous post, perhaps I'll never be able to truly fully support homosexuality but I will always full heartedly support anti-bullying/peace making regimes.

Personally -- and without reading ANY of the other posts here -- I believe that everyone is free to do what they wish, but everyone is responsible to face the consequences of what they do. This goes for EVERYONE and EVERY SITUATION, including BOTH SIDES of this debate. I personally believe that homosexuality is immoral and unhealthy, but I also believe that the government should stay out of telling people who they can and can't marry. Everyone has their own life to live and their own consequences to experience. That is why I am againsts homosexuALITY, but not against homosexuALS. Everyone needs love, and it is only in God's hands to judge, NOT OUR OWN. I will allow others to live their lives, fighting only with prayer.

That is my stand. That is my creed.

^
Implying that all people here believe in god or follow your religious belief.

Just saying. I'm not in organized religion.

I am also gay and i had never posted hear before, I just want to say i am happy to see this being done, i admire that it is made clear that this is not a political issue, rather an equality issue, way to go community :)

I must disagree to a certain degree: If the passing of this new policy were to be unannounced, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now and what you've said (that there would be a more inviting atmosphere for everyone) would be correct. However, some genius thought it'd be a good idea to broadcast the policy change on Bulbanews, so here we are.

oh please, give me a break here. it's not like bulbagarden is going to suddenly make everything all rainbows and "support gay rights!" everywhere and get rid of all the pokemon forums and basically change the site's name to "the homosexual's hideaway." seriously. if you can't deal with the recently upped civil rights protection for the greater good of the lgbtq community here, then either leave or ignore it entirely.

EDIT;;

"supper gay rights" my empty stomach is getting to my head.

You are indeed teaching; the very statement that "homosexuality is acceptable" teaches young visitors to this site that very thing;

It is acceptable. Anyone thinking otherwise is wrong.

That's like saying we're teaching kids that blacks are equal to whites because we don't allow black people to be attacked. It's an archaic mindset that has no place here.

The Civil Rights Movement concerning race has nothing to do with the current movement concerning sexual orientation. Your metaphor is flawed.

@Eevee: By countenance I meant the state of their spiritual being. It's a term I'm used to hearing and saying in that context within my personal circles. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear, but no matter. It's obvious you hold a deep grudge against someone who used "hate the sin, love the sinner" in the manner you describe, but I assure you, my stance is by no means the facade you claim it to be; and if you seriously find the specific section of my other post which you quoted to be an example of said alleged facade, you severely misunderstand the Christian viewpoint and the reasons for it. If you do so desire, I'd be happy to explain said viewpoint via PM.

Also, I am one of the intellectual persuasion, I tend to dehumanize everything.

The Civil Rights Movement concerning race has nothing to do with the current movement concerning sexual orientation. Your metaphor is flawed.

No, it's exactly the same. ALL people should be treated equal no matter what race, creed, sexual orientation etc. And I'm sick of LGBTQ people being treated like second class citizens.

Apart from the shipping section, where discussions are inevitable due to the romantic nature of the threads (and, I assume, threads are relatively separated and organized according to their natures), yes, homosexuality should remain unmentioned and wholly ignored. As for this blog of which you speak, I am one quite unacquainted with the medium and its relation to Bulbagarden Forums/ Bulbapedia, therefore please don't consider it as contextual to my statements.

The Bulbagarden Forums are a place for the Bulbagarden Community to discuss anything and everything, from Pokemon to Current Events. As we have many non-Pokemon sections, the topic of homosexuality does come up. We have a section where we discuss popular entertainment, so we can't say "if an athlete or singer comes out of the closet, you can't post about it." We have a section devoted to political debate, so we can't say "that thread about a particular state or country banning gay marriage has to be deleted." We have a section devoted to fan fiction, so we can't say "you may post a story, as long as the only relationships in it are heterosexual." We even have a section for non-Pokemon anime, and we can't say "you can't discuss the lesbian Sailor Scouts here." We also have a blogs section where people can post goofy stuff, or post serious stuff that is happening in their life. We can't say "did you get bullied at school for being gay, and need someone to talk to about it? Take that shit somewhere else."

You see, Bulbagarden Forums are not just for the Pokemon games and anime. They are a community for the fans of the Pokemon games and anime, and like all fan communities, we have people of all different walks of life posting here. We are an open community for anyone, and we are a safe and happy place for anyone, and we are sometimes a safe refuge for those who just need a few moments of peace away from the troubles that they may face in the real world.

As for your question: By "open act of homosexuality" I mean the obvious displayed actions associated strictly with the lifestyle (again, such as a male stating in a news article of his that he's attracted to another male). If I may be so technical, I'd like to remind you that "to have" and "to state" are verbs, and therefore, actions ("acts").

Yes, to have and to state are verbs, I do know. I was not sure if you were just referring to sex acts (every one of which is also performed by heterosexual couples), or just someone loving someone of the same sex. Now, I don't see it being a good thing for us to say "okay, if you have a crush on a girl in your class, and mention it, that's cool. On the other hand, if you want to hold hands with the guy you just met on the train earlier today, you have to shut up. We don't want your kind here." That defeats the purpose of being an open community for people of all walks of life.

Furthermore, this is for the Bulbagarden Forum, as the Bulbapedia is an encyclopedia for Pokemon Knowledge, and not a forum for life discussion. If someone is wanting to have their Pokemon info without having to read about the daily lives and thoughts of our users, some of whom happen to be gay, then that's what the Bulbapedia is for. If someone wants to come to discuss anything from what Ash Ketchum did on this week's Pokemon episode all the way to Lady Gaga's dress made of raw meat, then the forums are a good place for you.

The issue here is that we are just saying that we don't want someone coming onto the forum and saying "because of my religion, I believe that gays are going to hell." We already don't allow people to say "I think that all black people are criminals," or "I think that all women need to get to the kitchen where they belong," so why are we going to allow gays to be treated like substandard humans? In a civilized world, that doesn't make any sense.

Problem is, Satoshi-kun, that the topic of homosexuality is being broadcast as we speak with that Bulbanews announcement. The least that could be done is to move the article off the front page so people don't have to see it every time they get on Bulbapedia for the next week.

Problem is, Satoshi-kun, that the topic of homosexuality is being broadcast as we speak with that Bulbanews announcement. The least that could be done is to move the article off the front page so people don't have to see it every time they get on Bulbapedia for the next week.

If people can't handle seeing it then too bad for them. It will off the front page when there's new news to report.

To Rokario:

Religion does not give you special rights to be a douche bag. This rule is not limiting your free thinking or anything like that, all it is doing is making sure LGBTQ people don't get bashed online as well.

If you can't post peacefully without harboring hate, perhaps this website isn't for you.

Sincerely, a person who also used to be a homophobic and is trying desperately to change his ways.

If people can't handle seeing it then too bad for them. It will off the front page when there's new news to report.

*shrugs* Whatever, Serebii and PokéBeach get their news faster anyway. 'spose I'll just deal.

Peace out.

It actually makes for a fabulous metaphor. See, during the civil rights movement, many white people had all kinds of reasons why black people were inherently inferior, or wrong, or should just not be seen in polite company. They even put them in different schools so the precious white children wouldn't be exposed to them! Kind of exactly like everything you are saying.

Except obviously they were wrong. But you're right about The Gay! You're right this time! It's different! There are Bible verses and everything!

It's obvious you hold a deep grudge against someone who used "hate the sin, love the sinner" in the manner you describe
It was no single person. It was every person who has used it the way you are using it now.

I rarely hold grudges against people. I save my grudges for ideas—they're much harder to get rid of.

My stance is by no means the facade you claim it to be; and if you seriously find the specific section of my other post which you quoted to be an example of said alleged facade, you severely misunderstand the Christian viewpoint and the reasons for it.
I likely understand the Christian viewpoint better than you do. And it's irrelevant! Here's why. I hope the following explanation will help those you're hurting not take your words to heart.

You have two options: either something is inherently "wrong" (whatever that means) with fellow human beings for sometimes liking the same sex, OR your holy text (and/or your interpretation of it) is incorrect.

The thing is, you get to decide which of these to believe. You can heap scorn upon people who have done nothing harmful to you or anyone else, or you can find some way to circumvent a footnote in your mythology. There are no absolute rules to fall back on here; this concerns the very axioms of your philosophy.

And you have chosen the former. You have CHOSEN to accept that these people are doing something evil, that they deserve to be silenced. You have cast this judgment upon your fellow man, because it makes you more comfortable than making minor alterations to your belief system. That is not what "loving the sinner" is about.

But don't worry; at least it's not really your fault. You didn't choose to be wired with a bias towards simple easy things you already believe... and what kind of jerk would blame you for how you feel naturally...?

Also, I am one of the intellectual persuasion, I tend to dehumanize everything.
Intellectualism is mutually exclusive with morality-by-authority.

eta: Ah, timing. May you realize the error of your ways before you cause real harm, fellow traveler.

Homosexuality is a real thing that exists. Treating it like it doesn't exist would cause more problems than it would cure.

Also, anyone with any sense of free-thinking is going to be influenced for or against anything by one editorial. Besides, it doesn't even say the word "homosexuality" or "gay" in the title of the article so there's not really anything to see "every time they get on Bulbapedia." As Musashi said, it will be gone once more news comes. (which will probably be sooner than you think with all the hype about BW2)

*goes to reread the Bulbanews announcement*

Don't see anything in there that's bad. It just mentions that homosexuals exist, and that some people treat them like shit, and that we don't want to be like some people. I don't see this as being something that will kill our users, and it isn't exactly an open discussion as to what homosexuality is. It doesn't even define what homosexuality is.

If that's too much for someone, then the internet is not the place to be. Worse things than that can be seen on the front page of most news sites, as well as in the junk box of your e-mail service.

Last edited:

*goes to reread the Bulbanews announcement*

Don't see anything in there that's bad. If just the mention that homosexuals exist, and that some people treat them like shit, and that we don't want to be like some people. I don't see this as being something that will kill our users, and it isn't exactly an open discussion as to what homosexuality is. It doesn't even define what homosexuality is.

If that's too much for someone, then the internet is not the place to be. Worse things than that can be seen on the front page of most news sites, as well as in the junk box of your e-mail service.
Oh god... Opening my email is like a Pandora Box.

-Shudder-

Anyways, I agree with you wholeheartedly .

June 23 is the one hundredth anniversary of the birth of Alan Turing, oft credited as the father of modern computing.

He was convicted for "gross indecency" for having a relationship with another man. The punishment was chemical castration, and a side effect was loss of his security clearance.

June 7 was the fifty-eighth anniversary of his suicide, two years later. He was 41.

I would just like to say that this was a very good decision on Bulbagarden's part. Ever since I got it into my head that the world is a very serious place, I've been supportive of the LGBTQ community. I think that these people can be very brave and honest people. We're growing away from a world where bravery was a necessity to "come out," since no one really even thinks of it anymore; however, does that mean we should stop caring about it? Of course not. This is a very good thing Bulbagarden is doing, and it would help if other communities of all kinds did their part in promoting equality.

Unfortunately, as new technology is being released, especially the internet, I feel people are losing their ability of caring for others' plights. Because we now have so much information available right at our fingertips, maybe we feel that we don't need to actively participate in new developments because we can see that someone else is doing just that already. But if there's one event that hangs in my mind when thinking about this, it's the internet blackout. Seeing so much support from such different people for one cause makes me hopeful that humans are able to do the same for other, more important causes. The internet can either hurt or heal the biggest issues of the world through connecting millions of people who hope to make a difference, and LGBTQ inequality is just one of those many issues that it can and should help heal.

I haven't been on this account in like ages, but I came back to wholeheartedly thank the bulba staff for this!
I'm not Gay or Bi, I consider myself more of a Pansexual. And I think it's fine that people don't like Homos.
I myself don't like anyone who thinks I'm wrong. As well as Whites and the Vatican.

Key word here is THINK. I can think about anything and everything I want, it's my mind. But as soon as I let these thoughts travel down from my brain and fly outta my mouth, I can't be upset when someone get's even more upset than I am.

It's perfectly fine to not like another group for reasons you think are wrong, what's not fine is making sure that group lives in fear and treated like a second-rate human. I personally may hate white people a lot, but it would be SUPER wrong of me to not give then the common respect a fellow human deserves.

Here's something my Mama thought me when I was a wee girl: "You can hate anybody and anything you want, just keep it to yourself and ignore them. Why waste time on something or someone you hate?"

But what do I know? If people really have problem with other folks having sex and loving someone of the same sex, then sex and love should totally be outlawed. No one should have sex/love anyone, ever. I think that would solve the homophobic's problem. LOL

With that said, thank bulba staff! I'm very glad you made this policy, no one should be engaging in the act of tormenting anyone else for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom