• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Striving for equality: Why Bulbagarden is taking a pro-LGBTQ stance

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Striving for equality: Why Bulbagarden is taking a pro-LGBTQ stance

Webmaster Archaic of Bulbagarden announced today a new policy against discrimination, hatred and intolerance toward lesbian, gays, bisexuals, transexuals, queers and questioning members of the Bulbagarden community. Many people, even among those who support gay rights, may feel that this is out of place. Bulbagarden is a Pokémon fansite; it shouldn't be taking stance on political issues. Many staff members on Bulbagarden used to think so. But our new policy isn't about politics.

Read more on Bulbanews

ATTENTION

As a general reminder, this is NOT a Nicoleta's Bus thread. This means per the new policy, negative opinions of homosexuality don't belong in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
New policy? Wouldn't that alreddy fall under the existing rules for flaming?

Hey, I've never posted here before, but I registered this account to say thank you! I'm a queer gamer who has been using Bulbapedia for resources for... honestly, I don't know how long. I don't use the forums so I'm not sure what the culture is like here, but when this message came up in my RSS feed, I was really happy to see it. Thanks :)

New policy? Wouldn't that alreddy fall under the existing rules for flaming?

There were a lot of caveats based on how you phrased your post, where you said it, etc. Special permissions to "allow debates" and to avoid "banning an opinion" and other things like that.

The new policy eliminate the vast majority of those caveats and permissions.

I've honestly have no real stance on homosexuality, probably why I don't get in involve with discussions on it here. But it's a good thing to see that Bulbagarden isn't gonna tolerate any hate or discrimination against it.

I not wanted to say your opinion is wrong (since I'm a gamer too), but...
are you have learning some Sociological terms? (not hype here :))
you know most people treat them like that because they are "different", this "different" can also be in category freak,nerds,homosexual/lesbian,etc
this is, due the divergence with how most the folkway does....
so this is a natural reaction how most people (of course, not in "different" category) do
but still even though is natural, people have their own right for freedom, but also can't be in category inhumane nor discrimination....
one of the best way and the hardest way to solve this problem is to make a resolution from both party....
the "different" one need to learn how the folkway does, and of course normal people must know what the problem that "different" people disease to cure it :)

this kind of problem is a hot topic from long time ago (since this kind topic is one of my work does :D)

Last edited:
This is awesome guys. People shouldn't be abused in any way for any differences they have. This should have been a condition of using the site from day one, but proud of it to have been made a mention of now. Congrats Bulbapedia. - Had to make a profile just to say this.. But looking forward to coming online heaps more often now xD..

I not wanted to say your opinion is wrong (since I'm a gamer too), but...
are you have learning some Sociological terms? (not hype here :))
you know most people treat them like that because they are "different", this "different" can also be in category freak,nerds,homosexual/lesbian,etc
so this is a natural reaction how most people (of course, not in "different" category) do
but still even though is natural, people have their own right for freedom, but also can't be in category inhumane nor discrimination....
one of the best way and the hardest way to solve this problem is to make a resolution from both party....
the "different" one need to learn how the folkway does, and of course normal people must know what the problem that "different" people disease to cure it :)

this kind of problem is a hot topic from long time ago (since this kind topic is one of my work does :D)

You're completely wrong... I'm gay and I'm not different at all. I'm a human first and my personality is a lot more than the fact I'm gay. In fact, my disabilities come before the fact I'm gay. You're born straight, I was born gay - it wasn't something that happened over time... I realised and knew since I was 6 years old, which is around the time hormones begin to develop. It's not a choice and it isn't the most important thing about me either - your comment comes across as insulting by you saying we're different. There is no such thing as normal, as every single person is different, even down to fingerprints - heck, even identical twins are different in ways. A lot of people say "it can be cured" and that "it's a disease" or "it is learned" but it is not at all. It's got so bad that even few who are gay begin to question why they're gay, purely because of pressure to fit in and try to heal themselves - yet, it never works. My problem is with religion, having taught people the wrong things - as much as messages like love they neighbour are great, at least 50% aren't right. In fact, the world seems to ignore the points that are correct like the love they neighbour message and focus on the misguided things that promote hate, so it really makes me laugh. You do know that the bible was written by human beings, based on their views (narrow-minded or not) and has been altered over time, just like any story you've ever heard in your lifetime... The bible is not immune from it. It upsets me that you say things like this, while trying to be nice but at the end of the day, it's insulting.

It's things like this that makes me proud to be a staff member of Bulbagarden Forums. My only wish is that this policy will soon extend outside of Bulbagarden and apply to the entire world.

In the past, women were not allowed to vote and were expected to stay in the kitchen; now we have women as company CEOs and leading countries. In the past, people of different skin colours weren't even allowed to sit in the same sections of the bus as white people, yet the United States now has an African American president. To think that we're in 2012 and these kind of hateful, bigoted opinions are still being allowed makes me sick to the stomach.

We have all experienced joy and sorrow. We have all laughed and cried. We have all loved and lost - we are united in that we all know these things all too well, yet why do we let the little things divide us? We are all one - we are all human and it's about time people realised that. And lastly, to quote Meowth:
We do have a lot it common. The same Earth, the same air, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of always looking at what's different...well, who knows?

@Rangermon
I'm not saying that different is some thing like you describe from that, of course people have different personality
I'm saying that different is something that opposite with ordinary people
In fact, I'm helping most people with my ideology, umm... since I'm a psychologist so I courage enough to post that
and it's sometimes work, trust me, many patient come to me, and is about 25% patient that I familiar with already changed with variety of problem even a former murder, but of course it is take very long time to change
and my point of view is not come from religious nor from the bible and other Holy Book, is come from how the world I already meet my self

to be honest (even though my problem is more small then yours), I'm a freak at first, during my childhood I always hated, because I always talking about cartoon, why they does that to me? I never do anything to them?
the divergence became a burden to me, then I goes to a psychologist until she gave me a light with her word, she gently answer me "If they can't accept you because you are different, why not you are the one to try being accepted with?"
of course it's not as good as planned, they laughing to me, even more hate me at first, but now they are a friend of me until now :)
that's why I motivated became a Psychologist, and became like me in the present, the fact with word we can cure something like that...

Never really thought we had a problem with discrimination against the LGBTQ here in the first place, but okay.

EDIT: Ah, sounds kind of mean. What I meant is, prior to this announcement, I always though Bulbagarden already supported homosexuality since I've never seen anybody post anti-gay rhetoric without receiving the appropriate shit-storm.

Last edited:
Just as a quick reminder for all:
This isn't a debate thread.

Furthermore, as the new rules state, describing homosexuality as a disease or something that people should seek to cure is not acceptable. Any further posts to this effect will be infracted.

Conversely, if you see somebody posting similarly inflammatory statements, please don't take them to task over it. I realize it's tempting, but leave them be. Rest assured that the mods will deal with such things on your behalf.

I think this is a wonderful idea. There is too much hate in the world today and it is great to see someone doing something about it. Every step away from hate, no matter how small, is a step in the right direction.

Personally I am straight, but I try not to look at it as straight and gay. What it comes down to in the end is love. Who that love is for should not be allowed to be judged by those around you. As I was always told growing up, "You don't choose who you fall in love with."

On a side note, I would just like to point out that anyone that thinks homosexuality doesn't occur in nature has probably never had a pet like a dog or cat that they let outside around other dogs and cats.

I just wanna say thank you for your stance on Anti-Discrimination. As a Gay Guy Myself, I find it really good that you're banning hate speech against LGBT. Cuz you're right, no one should have to face anything like that and no one should have to be bashed or bullied for being Who They Are! <3 Regardless of whether someone "Disagrees" or "Agrees" with it... It's still wrong to Hate. <3

I'm glad to see this. ^^ Your sexual orientation doesn't affect who you are. I've had plenty of homosexual friends while in high school, and they were awesome friends.

That took far longer than it should've, and it's even kinda upsetting that it has to be announced rather than something intrinsic and implicit.
But at least it's there now, so that's good. I'm happy about it.

Before it improved I saw plenty of blatantly disturbing posts, claiming "free speech" for their bullshit. Free speech?! Puting down others is NOT free speech, it's the complete opposite. There's nothing I hate more than bigots claiming to defend and prove themselves.

There's no "equality" in "I have rights to think you are a diseased insane thing that shouldn't exist". It is simply wrong, insulting, and the root of all the hate speech. Not only does it not have place in a pokémon site, it should have no place anywhere.

But in any case... I'm glad this decision was made. It's really an step forwards.

Freedom of speech - the American definition, anyway - only guarantees that the government will not shut you up. It doesn't shield you from consequences you might bring upon yourself, nor does it allow you to say what you like in a private forum such as this. All too often, people erroneously equate "free speech" with "I'm going to say whatever I want as loud as I want and you can't object because FREEDOM".

ok guys, forget what I said...
since It's considered as flaming
not trying to force my opinion here
I only saying that gay people can change too...
peace of you :)

Hey, I've never posted here before, but I registered this account to say thank you! I'm a queer gamer who has been using Bulbapedia for resources for... honestly, I don't know how long. I don't use the forums so I'm not sure what the culture is like here, but when this message came up in my RSS feed, I was really happy to see it. Thanks :)

Just wanted to second this. I'm pan and have been using Bulbapedia for a super-long time too, and, well, let's just say that after certain events in my life, seeing this announcement does cheer me up a little. Thanks Bulbapedia!

Was there seriously people doing this on these forums? Not cool, man. Not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom