• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Strokes of Luck

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
What have you discovered just goes well together or what have you added to enhance a recipe?

I was making queso for a snack one day, and it needed some spice. Only spice I find is mild Taco Bell sauce.

No big deal, I put in the whole packet and stir it--and it wound up tasting exactly like the cheese you get at Taco Bell

Mince meat and powdered sugar make a good combo for a simple meat pie. I'm serious, after cooking the damn thing I said what the hell I always wanted to see what this would taste like and voila the damn thing worked.

Well... I was experimenting, as I usually do when there is nothing substantial and there's almost nothing but canned foods in the pantry, and I made an interesting kind of sauce (gravy to be exact) that had potato chunks, carrots, corn, onions and... well... basically anything else you'd find in a beef stew. Unfortunately, there was something that I did to it to make it come out rather... crappy. It was perhaps the spices that I used for it since it was the spicy taste that was overpowering. Though, not wanting to waste it, we put it in Tupperware and let it sit in the fridge until the next day. That's when my mother got the bright idea of, "hey... maybe if you add rice and make it a bit more thicker, it'll be better."

I don't usually take my mother's advice, but the beef stew looking sauce couldn't be ruined any farther, I thought. So we did as she suggested and I also decided to mellow out the flavour a bit with just a small bit of sugar and water as we were making the sauce thicker. The rice absorbed a lot of the flavour and mellowed it out and actually made the experiment an edible and good dish. I'm actually still not all that sure on what I should call it, to be honest. It was just me experimenting, after all. >A>;;

Well... I was experimenting, as I usually do when there is nothing substantial and there's almost nothing but canned foods in the pantry, and I made an interesting kind of sauce (gravy to be exact) that had potato chunks, carrots, corn, onions and... well... basically anything else you'd find in a beef stew. Unfortunately, there was something that I did to it to make it come out rather... crappy. It was perhaps the spices that I used for it since it was the spicy taste that was overpowering. Though, not wanting to waste it, we put it in Tupperware and let it sit in the fridge until the next day. That's when my mother got the bright idea of, "hey... maybe if you add rice and make it a bit more thicker, it'll be better."

I don't usually take my mother's advice, but the beef stew looking sauce couldn't be ruined any farther, I thought. So we did as she suggested and I also decided to mellow out the flavour a bit with just a small bit of sugar and water as we were making the sauce thicker. The rice absorbed a lot of the flavour and mellowed it out and actually made the experiment an edible and good dish. I'm actually still not all that sure on what I should call it, to be honest. It was just me experimenting, after all. >A>;;

in some circles, it's called goulash ;)

I use A1 barbecue sauce when a dish tastes weird... and it works on almost every dish. A1 sauce is a failure eliminator LOL

I once threw some dried dill into some pasta sauce on a whim. Tasted delicious.

Once I had some sunny side up eggs and the yolk was still deliciously runny. It mingled with my bacon. I hated it when my foods touch. Only the bacon coated in yolk was perfection. The heat of the bacon cooked it a little more and it clung to the pork like there was no tomorrow. I now pick my eggs up and pop the yoke over the bacon specifically for this purpose.

My sister did this, not me, but you can make a very quick, decent vegetarian chili by throwing a can of chili beans and a can of tomatoes and green chilis into a pot. Nothing special, but it's really quick and cheap.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom