• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(stupid) question about fire pokemons

Brago

Reaction score
I remember when Ash got his charmander, it was said that when the flame on its tail disappears, it dies. But I'm trying to remember: hasn't charizard already dived in water?
By the way, if a charmander falls into a river, does it die?

Probably it's not that easy to make the flame go out.

In the case of a Charmander, it'd probably die if sumerged completelly underwater. But I guess a Charizard can keep the tail hot enough to evaporate the water on it instantly and lit it again if it goes off for a few seconds.

This could be the writers being inconsistent. You would think that if Charizard dived in water, unless it was going super fast or something, it would die.

Then again, as the poster above me pointed out, Charizard probably does have a lot more fire power.

alright then. But i remember that charmander almost die because of the rain...

Even if Rizadon/Charizard has more fire power, I highly doubt any kind of flame can be SUBMERGED and not get put out. It seems off to me, like the creators were just following the Pokemon Zukan/PokeDex at first, but then they stopped caring.

As for WHY Hitokage/Charmander dies if its tail flame goes out, I really have no clue. .

But I would assume the same rule applies to Rizadon, especially since everyone SEEMS worried when he falls into the water. .

It might not die right away too. Like how they say that Farfetch'd can't live without its leek, but I doubt they have to be around it all the time. There may be some revival time.

It might not die right away too. Like how they say that Farfetch'd can't live without its leek, but I doubt they have to be around it all the time. There may be some revival time.

With farfetch'd's leek, It's more to do with how it can't survive without it's trusty tool. Farfetch'd is still alive without it's leek, but it's almost useless without it.

With Charizard's flame, it's an indicator of lifeforce, but it's not that easily distingushed. Maybe it's an oil-based fire maybe? Or perhaps it only dies down if Charizard receives grave injuries that would kill it. It probably isn't it's lifeforce itself.

can we also just state that the pokemon world IS NOT the human world, and there fore is not subject to the same physics/biology/chemistry as our world

can we also just state that the pokemon world IS NOT the human world, and there fore is not subject to the same physics/biology/chemistry as our world

Then what's the point of this entire subforum if that's the only answer?

theres a great deal of similaraties between my arm and my leg, doesnt mean i can do the same things with each of them..............

In the original Pokemon Manga, death was actually a player. If a charmander went under water, it wasn't going to come back up.
I remember one gruesome frame where an Arbok got it's head sliced off by a Slash attack- the drawing showed meat and the severed spinal cord and everything... Ick. Pokemon center wasn't going to fix that.
But it proves that the anime was toned down from the original concept to suit children and television needs. In the anime, they probably wouldn't let it happen.

Their flames are probably fueled, or rather a side effect of their life force.
What I meant is that a Charizard has ovbiously a greater life force, probably enough to lit its tail again after it goes off or keep it hot enough to survive for a few seconds it can't be on.

The charmander would have died if it stood in the rain. A wild charmander probably would seek refuge when it's raining, but that one was of a trainer who told it to wait there or something.

In an easier example: If you put a charmander tail in a bucket of water, it dies. If you do it with a charizard, it evaporates the bucket and kills you.

And about death in the anime... a flame going out is nowhere as as graphic as slicing something's head off.

Well, in that Giant Pokemon Land episode, Charmander and everyone else fell into the ocean. And in Charizard's Burning Ambitions, its flame was clearly submerged.

The tail flame was always interesting to me, its a good thing their tails are slightly upturned so theres not a fire trailing along behind them.

theres a great deal of similaraties between my arm and my leg, doesnt mean i can do the same things with each of them..............

If I drop my pencil on the floor, I can pick it up with my hand, or I can easily pick it up with my toes. It just doesn't work exactly the same. Also, you can walk on your hands, it just requires more effort and it's different than regular walking.

Things might not happen in the pokemon world exactly the same as they do in our world, but they still happen, and my point is that the two worlds seem similar enough that it's safe for us to think in terms of our world sometimes when talking about this one.

I also remember an episode where chazrizard battled a poliwrath, and it used ice beam. Charizard was frozen, but the poliwrath spared the end of its tail, and we saw ash being really worried!!

Brago said:
I also remember an episode where chazrizard battled a poliwrath, and it used ice beam. Charizard was frozen, but the poliwrath spared the end of its tail, and we saw ash being really worried!!

Especially with how small Rizadon's tail flame was. I'm glad Rizadon survived that. In the manga, he probably wouldn't have survived, but the manga is much more violent and evil. . And enjoyable. >=P

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom