• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Stupid Things You Did as A Kid

KO-ing every single legendary because I thought that was what I was supposed to do. I didn't think you ever could catch any of them at the time.

And when I got the Master Balls in my first plays of Gold and Ruby, I didn't really pay attention and just ended up never using it because I would just use my starter for all battles and 5 extras as decoys for the E4 for revival of the starter, and pretty much never really catch anything after the general midpoint of the game.

It went sort of like Level 50/60+ depending on the appropriate level for E4 battles in the game, and then generally levels in the lower 20s or 10s for the rest of the team. I never evenly trained my Pokémon because I never really wanted to use anything besides my starter at the time.

I didn't even care about type advantages, I would just keep battling after loss and loss until I had assembled enough EXP. to power through it all.

I used a Master Ball on Koga's Venomoth cuz it said it could catch ANY pokemon withOUT fail. And for some reason I thought that was rare, not even thinking about Mewtwo

In my friend's Red that I borrowed before I knew anything about Pokémon, I didn't even know how to change Pokémon in battle, heal Pokémon or beat gym leaders. I just tried the same thing over and over at a gym, and eventually my awful team (which I think was just a charizard and an onix...) leveled up enough to win, and I thought the gym leader let me win or something. XD I was about 5 I think. Thank god I only used that game for a couple of days, who knows how much more failing I could have done?
Also, in Ruby, my first game that was actually mine, I couldn't figure out how to leave the house. :|

I don't think only raising the starter is stupid, because in Red, Gold, and even Ruby - solo-ing the whole region is possible, using other pokes only for the HMs. I solo-ed Kanto with Blastoise, Johto (and Kanto) with Typhlosion, and Hoenn with Blaziken. Of course, they were seriously overleveled at every gym battle and it was even possible to go solo-ing the league...and win. XD LOL But I didn't know about types and just spammed any sort of attack if it seemed strong enough - yes, all three gens. Diamond was the first game that I learned about type advantages.

Stupid things I did in the games? I talked for hours to the Rocket Grunt in front of Saffron gym and cursed at him for not letting me challenge Sabrina... and it took over a week to figure out I had go to Silph Co. first.

The space center myth of going to space to challenge Deoxys XD I believed that. Seriously.

Another - when I played Red for the very first time, I skipped Lt. Surge because I didn't know how to get through the waste bucket puzzle. Which means, I didn't get the badge for enabling Fly, and literally biked EVERYWHERE.

I killed the shiny Gyarados in Crystal on purpose cuz I didn't know what was a shiny back then and I thought it was red because it was an evil, angry Gyarados.

This was the stupidest thing I've ever done in Pokemon. I was facing the Pokemon League for the first time ever in my very first game ever (Gold) and the last time I'd saved was before battling Clair (yeah, I binged on Pokemon... the final gym through the Elite Four in one sitting...) and it got to the point that it was my last Pokemon against Lance's last Pokemon, his Lv. 50 Dragonite. So you know how the Master Ball can "catch anything?"

Using my favorite Game Shark code -- the 'float over anything' code -- to FLOAT INTO BILL'S BACKYARD AND SAVE.

My completed Pokedex, my level 100 army, all gone...D:

'Nother thing. I wasn't a kid when this happened, but it was stupid.
I didn't catch the change in physical/special attacks that happened in Gen IV until well into the post-game of Soul Silver. I was extremely confused as I was going through the Pokemon League for the 8th time with just my Aerodactyl trying to level it up to 100 and I was extremely confused as to why Ancient Power sucked so bad and Crunch was poning everyone.

Let's see...I think my biggest fail happened when I tried to capture another trainer's Pokemon during combat. Again. And again. Even as an innocent child, I was quickly angered that I could not be a member of Team Rocket. XD

I have to say the hardest one to stomach was when I was trading with a friend so that he could finish his Pokedex. We agreed to hand over our beloved starters, which were both at level 100. Somehow the cord got disconnected and both of our precious Pokes vanished into Trading Oblivion. It was the most tragic thing my little heart had ever seen. Luckily, the Meganium had had a baby just a few days prior, so I raised his daughter is his stead, but I never forgot that noble companion...but, if memory serves, I believe it was my clumsiness that killed our beloved beasts. Whoopsies.

In my first game, leafgreen, I couldn't figure out how exactly how I was to get my first pokemon, I walked all over Town and Talked to everyone and for an entire month I didn't think of going to the grass so Oak would show up. Then later I couldn't find my way through the stupid Seafoam Caves so for months on end I just trained my pokemon untill I finally figured out how to get through I was so excited all my pokemon were level 100 and I was ready to battle the gym leader but then I couldn't find the gosh darn key in the mansion! Then when I finally defeated the elete four (took forever ecause my team was entirely fire types, stupid water/Ice typing) I restarted the game not knowing about mewtwo, and had to play the game all over again, this time I skiped over the seafoam cave with the convinent pallet town waterway route.

In Yellow, which was my first ever playthrough, I got stuck in Pewter City at the first Gym with my puny little Pikachu. I didn't even think about getting a Butterfree or a Mankey. Tackles everywhere.

I once caught a level 9 Magikarp because it was shiny.
It looked cool, but it was useless as anything.

All I can really think of is forgetting to heal or switch a Pokemon when starting battles, then remembering right as they engage.

I used to try to catch every pokemon I ran into, even if I caught it already

Not realizing that I could shut off the game or didn't have to save after I've done something stupid (catching Machop in Master Ball, KO ing all three legendary birds)

Killing Lugia and Master Balling Skarmory back in Silver.
I plan on doing the latter once more, seeing as I'm replaying Silver right now (. .) Maybe the former toooo...

Butyeah, the usual.

Hey, skarmory was a PITA to catch. I would've done the same thing if I hadn't FINALLY caught one with a lucky pokeball.

When S.S. Anne sailed away from Vermillion City's harbor, I thought I must also be on that ship too. So I waited for awhile and the ship never came back. Then I decided to start the whole game from the very beginning, so I could get on that ship when it leaves. What an idiot : D. At least I figured out about Cut at the second try...

God, looking back I messed up a few times. I couldn't go in Lavendar Tower 'cause I was scared of the ghosts. I think I got trapped behind pikachu and reset Yellow without trying to move. Silver I got lost and spent 5-6 hours wandering through the woods, I also released my lvl80 Typlosion because I thought it would be happier without fighting. Oh and believing A+B+Start+Select gave me 99 Master balls.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom