• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Style Thread (New Style: Christmas 2020)

I thought the editorial seven years ago that explicitly said "We're on the side of LGBT+ people" would have made it clear that...you know, we're on the side of LGBT+ people.

Of course we are. Between people who just want to be themselves (but happen to be different, whether over orientation, identity, race, culture, etc), and people who want the existence of others hidden or erased where they don't have to acknowledge it, there is no choice for us.

More than that, the Pokémon community in general, and Bulbagarden in particular, don't exist as we know them without the contribution of LGBT+ people. At the Pokémon level, that would be most notably Maddie Blaustein, the first voice actress for Meowth, who was a transgender woman (transgender people are also referenced in Pokémon X and Y, via a trainer in the Battle Chateau who unquestionably imply being a transgender woman, so your notion that the franchise is purely binary about gender is...not all that true). Here on Bulbagarden, that would be me, chief of staff, founding member of this version of Bulbagarden and among its longest-serving staff members (and someone who carried the site on their back a long, long time) - and also a transgender woman (and not the only one on staff). It would be Kogoro, the other chief of staff, who has been managing Bulbapedia for half a decade (and who has been working on the site much longer), who recently married her girlfriend. That would be dozens of other staff member throughout the history of Bulbagarden who have been and are gay, lesbian, bi, trans, ace, or elsewhere in the diversity spectrum.

We're proud of Bulbagarden's diversity, and the importance that diversity has played in building the site we have today. We celebrate it. We will not hide that diversity, or shy away from it. We will champion it in the Pokémon community and beyond at every chance. And if children ask question (keeping in mind that you need to be thirteen or older to legally register on these forums), we'll be happy to answer them.

None of which means you need to stop being heterosexual. The banner say "be yourself". The message here isn't "don't be heterosexual". The message is "no one should be obliged to be something they are not". So if you feel you are heterosexual, if you're (presumably) attracted exclusively to women, all the banner means is..."be heterosexual". That's what you are, so that's what being yourself means. But if you - or anyone else - is forcing themselves to be heterosexual because they feel they have to, THEN the message is...you don't have to be. It's okay to NOT be straight.

If that message makes you feel threatened...I'm afraid there is nothing I can do to help you.

(The skin stays, obviously).

Wasn't there a theme with Xerneas and Yveltal before the last major update? I think it was before the move to Xenforo...but it never got ported over?

Wasn't there a theme with Xerneas and Yveltal before the last major update? I think it was before the move to Xenforo...but it never got ported over?
You're probably talking about these two.

They we're indeed styles back when we were still running vbulletin.
While we will be looking at porting some more old styles over we sadly won't be doing all of them as there is just too many. So I can't say if this one will be brought back, however we'll keep in mind that someone wants it back :)

Can we get square avatars with corners?

Can we get square avatars with corners?
I assume what you mean is this:

We decided that square with rounded corners looks better on the pages than full square. However if a lot of people are to agree that the rounded corners are too much and should be removed/lessened feel free to react to this post with :bulbaWave:

I use Rainbow Rocket style as it is the most eye-friendly style with its dark theme as I use the Internet most of the time only at night. But the problem is the brown colour for the links is quite dark compared to style itself, and it is hard to read. Could it be lighten up a little maybe?

Screenshot-2019-01-25-at-14-25-33.png

Thanks in advance.

An issue I've found with Evie's Den, which might also occur for other dark skins. Active checkboxes are black and almost impossible to see. Some text also is in a really dark red that makes it hard to read.

I use Rainbow Rocket style as it is the most eye-friendly style with its dark theme as I use the Internet most of the time only at night. But the problem is the brown colour for the links is quite dark compared to style itself, and it is hard to read. Could it be lighten up a little maybe?

Screenshot-2019-01-25-at-14-25-33.png

Thanks in advance.
Fixed.
An issue I've found with Evie's Den, which might also occur for other dark skins. Active checkboxes are black and almost impossible to see. Some text also is in a really dark red that makes it hard to read.
Also fixed :p

Could the [New] on posts be made a bit more prominent on the Bulbagarden classic theme? It's very easy to miss. Probably a location change or a different colour (please not neon Green though...)?
(Replied in here as it's about forum styles)
Could you send a screenshot? The [New] icon on Bulbagarden Classic looks fine to me when you compare it to the other styles. Do you mean like a stronger colour?

(Replied in here as it's about forum styles)
Could you send a screenshot? The [New] icon on Bulbagarden Classic looks fine to me when you compare it to the other styles. Do you mean like a stronger colour?
I haven’t tried out any other styles so I don’t have anything to compare it to, I just felt that it’d be more noticeable if it were not blue like the rest of the style.

View attachment 115337
I haven’t tried out any other styles so I don’t have anything to compare it to, I just felt that it’d be more noticeable if it were not blue like the rest of the style.
Ah. Personally I think it looks fine, as it doesn’t really stick out much in other styles either.

Is there a way to create a style that makes the forum look like it did prior to the upgrade? I really don't like how the forum looks, and I am not talking about the skins.

Is there a way to create a style that makes the forum look like it did prior to the upgrade? I really don't like how the forum looks, and I am not talking about the skins.
I'm afraid we'd have to built a style from the ground up, which is something we are currently not equipped for doing.
If you could specify some things that specifically bother you we may be able to make a style or two with such change in mind.

Regardless, I'm sure as you keep using the forums for longer than a week you'll get used to the new look and features.

Back
Top Bottom