• If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Anime Subs or Dubs?

Reaction score
Both dubs and subs are somewhat uncomfortable for me sometimes.
Dubs sometimes change what's supposed to be spoken on that scene. But the voices are sometimes awesome like Natochenny's voice for ash and Palencia's voice for Touka Kirishima.
I watched Doraemon in my mother tongue thanks to dub.

But some anime like one piece have horrible dubs with no emotions

Whereas subs sometimes are so horrible that even fan subs are way better
20200725_193759.jpg
Moreover it's a pain to read the subs and watch the anime at the same time.

But if you ask me emotionless dub vs hard to read subs, I'll go with subs
I've watched
Dub:AoT, Tokyo Ghoul, some movies of Detective Conan and Dragon Ball Series
Sub everything else

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/him
Are you sure that YGO pic is official? It reminds me of Backstroke of the West.

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Subs. I'm significantly deaf, and so I watch even English language television with subs and I read faster than the speed of sound (quite literally - my duff ears don't process information anywhere near as quickly as my eyes).

Beta Content Nerd
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
She/Her
I much prefer subs altogether when it comes to anime and games. I don't usually see dubs where I feel the voice fits a character well these days. Maybe I'm just picky about the voice work?

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Dubs. Reading subtitles makes me nauseous most of the time. And I prefer actually understanding what I'm watching instead of having a translation written out in front of me. While I know that I won't always get that luxury, like in certain games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth, but if I had a choice I would always go for a dub over a sub, especially since I don't have to look at two things at once and split my concentration. Games are a bit more tolerable due to how they function, but anime I will always prefer a dub over a sub. Plus, sometimes subs get iffy translations between the two languages which can cause some confusion to me, so I'd rather go for a dub over a sub if it means I can not only understand what I'm watching but make the watching process easier for me.

Reaction score
Gonna cut the Gordian Knot and say "neither" since I am in the privileged position to be able to watch anime raw and understand it. :bulbaWave:

The Devil of Paradise
Former BMGf Head Administrator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
They/She
I watch Subs mainly. There are very few Dubs Ive personally enjoyed. I tend to enjoy the Japanese voices more and they usually seem to fit the characters better..

Reaction score
Dub though I do crack out subs on occasions when a season or show has not been dubbed or has no dub at all (example: episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's including the last season which weren't dubbed because 4Kids was in hot sh*t with both TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems due to collecting royalties from merchandise without having to pay the Japanese owners).

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/him
(example: episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's including the last season which weren't dubbed because 4Kids was in hot sh*t with both TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems due to collecting royalties from merchandise without having to pay the Japanese owners).
Did that affect the Tag Force games, too? Because I always found suspicious the game that covers the last arc wasn't translated.

Reaction score
Did that affect the Tag Force games, too? Because I always found suspicious the game that covers the last arc wasn't translated.
I guess they must have too considering that and the Arc V one was skipped though Arc V Tag Force came when the PSP was pretty much on the way out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Either or works for me honestly. If the dub is good and keeps the story the same for the most part then I'm perfectly fine with it, if not then I'll watch subs though I prefer not having to read subs if I can help it (though it does get annoying hearing the same, like maybe 3 people, dub almost every character now)

Reaction score
I enjoy both subs and dubs, depending on the mood I am in and the anime I am watching. I like dubs because I appreciate the voice actor talent that goes into it and I like subs because I like listening to the Japanese language, which I am currently studying in my free time.

marmalade and sugar song
Reaction score
The way /i see it there's three ways to do dubs correctly. Go the Bebop or FMA route and adhere to the original with reverence and enough production value to rival the original. Both are very valid options for experiencing the narrative. You can also take the Yu Yu Hakusho, FLCL, Lupin III art 2 approach where they localize the content but keep the spirit and tone of the original. Personally this is my favourite type of dub since it feels more of its own interpretation of the source material (in YYH and Lupin's case). Alternatively you can go full gag dub like YGO GX or Ghost Stories where you have no respect for the source material where they are very much their own original piece of entertainment.

Aria Starkia, Truth Seekers' Branch 14th Soldier
Reaction score
Neither. It took me a while but now I have enough skills to be able to watch and understand almost everything from the original Japanese.

Sometimes I watch the dub too, mainly the Kanto episodes, when I feel like it.

Pokémon Fan
Reaction score
Either honestly. I find some anime sound better subbed, while others sound good dubbed.