• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Subs or Dubs?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
The eternal debate among anime fans. Do you prefer to watch the show in its original language as the creators intended, with subtitles letting you know what's being said? Or do you prefer to have the dialogue translated and rerecorded into a language of your choosing?

As for me, I'm generally on the side of dubs mainly for my own convenience. Reading subtitles can get distracting sometimes and make following the action difficult because you're flitting between the text on the bottom of the screen and what's actually happening. So unless the dub is in some way poorly done and kills the tone of the series or something I'll generally take a dub just to make it easier to watch.

I always watched subbed when I can get it, I watch regular shows with subtitles on too. I feel like it's acknowledging the creators original intents better because the voice actors express the characters better, rather than it being translated... or something. When it comes to live action stuff, I just can't watch dubbed at all, it's too jarring, at least with animation you naturally ignore any lip syncing not matching.
Some anime have really good dubbed work though, I love it when it turns out well, like Psycho-Pass.

I don't really have a preference myself. I watch both, as I think both have their merits, and in recent years, English dubs have become much better and higher quality than what was put out years ago, so I've been trying to give them a chance.

I personally watch *almost* everything Subbed. Since I've been studying Japanese over the last couple of years, watching subbed allows me to keep up with some vocabulary (and yes, I'm well aware that Japanese isn't always the same as the Japanese spoken on a day-to-day basis, but it still helps with vocabulary!)

Although back in the day I only watched dubbed. Sometimes when I've watched a show one way, I'll rewatch it in the other way. For one, before season 3 of Boku no Hero Academia aired, I decided I wanted to rewatch the original 2 seasons because it had been a little while and I wanted a refresher. I also heard that the dub for BnHA was pretty good so decided to rewatch it in dubbed instead of subbed. For season 4 I just read the manga instead :p

With most anime I typically watch the sub first and then follow up with the dub if it has a voice cast that I like, otherwise I just stick with the subbed version. The one exception is Fruits Basket (both the original and reboot), where I love the dub so much I don't bother with the original.

I do prefer both, but I usually prefer watching something subbed. More recent dubs outside of anime movie dubs have been sounding very cringy to me for some reason (surprisingly not the same for video games) so I usually watch it sub cause it will sound less cringe to me and so I can keep my focus on it so I won't work on other stuff while watching and have to constantly rewind if I miss something.

Both. I prefer dub mostly since dubbing has come a long way in quality, though it does sometimes get tiring hearing the same voice actors in most anime (this goes for Japanese as well too). I'll watch sub occasionally, mostly if I think the dub version of a series isn't that great or if the series won't get a dub at all, or if there is a series I'm really excited to watch then I'll watch it sub first.

though it does sometimes get tiring hearing the same voice actors in most anime (this goes for Japanese as well too)

For what it's worth, there have been a lot of new English voice actors popping onto the anime scene, such as Chris Hackney, Lizzie Freeman, Reba Buhr, Griffin Puatu, Michelle Marie, Morgan Berry, Griffin Burns, Joe Zieja, and many others.

Generally, I would rather just watch an anime dubbed in English whenever possible, unless it just happens to not be a very good dub or there happens to be something only available in Japanese at the present (like how it was Pokémon when I watched that). But bad dubs are a rarity nowadays, AFAIK, unlike in the past, so that point would be moot for most newer anime.

sub! I always prefer watching things in their original language, so it's not really a case of thinking Japanese is 'cool' or anything. most of the time, I feel voice quality is better in the original. there are exceptions to this though, like the English dubs for Soul Eater and Mob Psycho 100 being just as good as their Japanese counterparts. they picked perfect voices, and the voice actors really did great in their roles.

It depends. Dragon Ball got an excellent dub in Latin America, even managing to surpass both the original Japanese and the European versions. Heck, we even managed to keep Cha-La-Head-Cha-La! I guess it also helps that I dislike Masako Nosawa as Goku (I prefer to remember her as the second Doraemon VA).

Sakura Cardcaptor and Digimon also got good dubs, and were uncensored to boot.

Sadly, if it came from 4Kids, Konami or Saban, the same problems from the other dubs would show up there (hi Shadow Realm!).

Also sadly, if Funimation is dubbing something there's a good chance it won't get a Spanish dub *points at Attack on Titan and Jojo*

Sometimes I just prefer them due to pure nostalgia.

Other than that, I do watch subs.

Sadly, if it came from 4Kids, Konami or Saban, the same problems from the other dubs would show up there (hi Shadow Realm!).
Honestly, imo the whole Shadow Realm thing actually enchanced the YuGiOh dub. It amplified the story's already mystical elements and increased the stakes over the original version. "Lose the game and you die", sure, those are high stakes, but "lose the game and get sent to Ancient Egyptian Hell where your soul shall be tortured for all eternity" is way scarier. Sure, some of the edits they had to make for it were a tad ridiculous (they're not sawblades, they're DARK ENERGY DISCS!), but in trying to sanitise the show by removing references to death and dismemberment, it actually made the story much darker.

Honestly, imo the whole Shadow Realm thing actually enchanced the YuGiOh dub. It amplified the story's already mystical elements and increased the stakes over the original version. "Lose the game and you die", sure, those are high stakes, but "lose the game and get sent to Ancient Egyptian Hell where your soul shall be tortured for all eternity" is way scarier. Sure, some of the edits they had to make for it were a tad ridiculous (they're not sawblades, they're DARK ENERGY DISCS!), but in trying to sanitise the show by removing references to death and dismemberment, it actually made the story much darker.
...Until 5D's came and the shadow realm excuse went beyond the suspension of disbelief *points at Carly's death*.

In the first series I could take it since Bonz and co. got sent to hell by Bakura, which was worse than his manga demise, but in 5D's they were not really trying.

Both dubs and subs are somewhat uncomfortable for me sometimes.
Dubs sometimes change what's supposed to be spoken on that scene. But the voices are sometimes awesome like Natochenny's voice for ash and Palencia's voice for Touka Kirishima.
I watched Doraemon in my mother tongue thanks to dub.

But some anime like one piece have horrible dubs with no emotions

Whereas subs sometimes are so horrible that even fan subs are way better
20200725_193759.jpg
Moreover it's a pain to read the subs and watch the anime at the same time.

But if you ask me emotionless dub vs hard to read subs, I'll go with subs
I've watched
Dub:AoT, Tokyo Ghoul, some movies of Detective Conan and Dragon Ball Series
Sub everything else

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom