• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Subs or Dubs?

Dubs. Reading subtitles makes me nauseous most of the time. And I prefer actually understanding what I'm watching instead of having a translation written out in front of me. While I know that I won't always get that luxury, like in certain games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth, but if I had a choice I would always go for a dub over a sub, especially since I don't have to look at two things at once and split my concentration. Games are a bit more tolerable due to how they function, but anime I will always prefer a dub over a sub. Plus, sometimes subs get iffy translations between the two languages which can cause some confusion to me, so I'd rather go for a dub over a sub if it means I can not only understand what I'm watching but make the watching process easier for me.

Dub though I do crack out subs on occasions when a season or show has not been dubbed or has no dub at all (example: episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's including the last season which weren't dubbed because 4Kids was in hot sh*t with both TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems due to collecting royalties from merchandise without having to pay the Japanese owners).

(example: episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's including the last season which weren't dubbed because 4Kids was in hot sh*t with both TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems due to collecting royalties from merchandise without having to pay the Japanese owners).
Did that affect the Tag Force games, too? Because I always found suspicious the game that covers the last arc wasn't translated.

Did that affect the Tag Force games, too? Because I always found suspicious the game that covers the last arc wasn't translated.
I guess they must have too considering that and the Arc V one was skipped though Arc V Tag Force came when the PSP was pretty much on the way out.

Last edited:
Either or works for me honestly. If the dub is good and keeps the story the same for the most part then I'm perfectly fine with it, if not then I'll watch subs though I prefer not having to read subs if I can help it (though it does get annoying hearing the same, like maybe 3 people, dub almost every character now)

I enjoy both subs and dubs, depending on the mood I am in and the anime I am watching. I like dubs because I appreciate the voice actor talent that goes into it and I like subs because I like listening to the Japanese language, which I am currently studying in my free time.

The way /i see it there's three ways to do dubs correctly. Go the Bebop or FMA route and adhere to the original with reverence and enough production value to rival the original. Both are very valid options for experiencing the narrative. You can also take the Yu Yu Hakusho, FLCL, Lupin III art 2 approach where they localize the content but keep the spirit and tone of the original. Personally this is my favourite type of dub since it feels more of its own interpretation of the source material (in YYH and Lupin's case). Alternatively you can go full gag dub like YGO GX or Ghost Stories where you have no respect for the source material where they are very much their own original piece of entertainment.

Neither. It took me a while but now I have enough skills to be able to watch and understand almost everything from the original Japanese.

Sometimes I watch the dub too, mainly the Kanto episodes, when I feel like it.

Either honestly. I find some anime sound better subbed, while others sound good dubbed.

Subs, at least 9 times out of 10. Generally speaking subs are more faithful to the original source material (with a few exceptions like the infamous Hong Kong Yu-Gi-Oh subs from the early 2000's) and the voice acting in the Japanese versions is almost always better. But I've made exceptions - Death Note is one of the few anime that I'll watch in English and subbed since both versions are terrific. :p

I've preferred subs ever since I caught up on Bleach's dub as a kid and had to either switch or wait. I'm not even sure what it is, but I find the language and voice actors more pleasant to listen to, and reading isn't really a problem for me except for the rare occasions where the subbers put too much on the screen too fast. There are some animes that I originally watched in dub that I couldn't go back to watching in dub because I couldn't stand the English voices. I don't know if it's that the voice actors were bad or that it just didn't feel right anymore or what, but I couldn't do it.

Fullmetal Alchemist is the one major exception. I like the sub, but I was so used to the dub that it's the one anime I still watch dubbed. I don't watch the Pokemon anime at all anymore, but when I do it's usually dubbed just because I can't get used to the different names, especially for the Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom