• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Subtitle reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For quite a while now, I've felt that Bulbapedia has become too dependent of using subtitles to recognize moves used in the anime. Which has led to some moves not being added to Bulbapedia until the subtitles are out. Plus, I have noticed that these subtitles are not always that reliable. Like, why did Litten use so many different slashing/scratching moves, when only Scratch was named out loud and is the only one of said moves it could even learn? Why is Nebby's crying listed as Supersonic? Why didn't the subtitlers notice Kiawe's Marowak using Bonemerang in its debut episode and instead labeled a basic headbutt as a move? Why didn't they identify Lusamine's Salazzle's Poison-type attack?

So yeah. I've decided to start this thread in order to discuss these things. This may not be enough to overthrow any opinions that the Bulbapedia higher-ups have, but I'd just like to know if any other people here feel the same way as I do.

Besides subtitles, you can also talk about disputed anime moves from episodes that haven't aired in the US yet and thus haven't received subtitles yet.

Yes I find this very annoying too, especially the attitude of a lot of the higher ups when you try to suggest something that goes against their opinion. I know I have felt this about a lot of moves in the past, but right now I can't think of all of them, but this should be a useful thread to be able to go back to and add to.

Actually I recently added a move to the talk page of one of the Binacle from XY111 (I know really boring episode) because Ed's Binacle used Fury Swipes on Ash and Clemont in the hall of the hotel towards the beginning of the episode. I was told basically what you are saying, that they only add moves via closed captions, if its explicitly stated, or has a unique animation. So because of this they put no move at all, when it clearly used a move other then the two listed (water gun and brick break). It is arguable it could have been scratch I suppose, but I am fairly certain it was fury swipes because of the speed/multiple scratches. It just makes me feel the page is incomplete because it obviously used another move (not that it is a very important page...).

Anyway, nothing can be done about it, as I was told they will not consider it, but I thought it fit well with this thread. This is a good thread idea, I will keep it in mind when I am watching old episodes because I think these have happened quite a lot.

Bulbapedia is so scared of potentially being wrong they are ignoring anything that isn't stated as blatantly as an episode commenting on type matchups.

Bulbapedia is so scared of potentially being wrong they are ignoring anything that isn't stated as blatantly as an episode commenting on type matchups.
One can't really blame, though. One of Bulbapedia's goals is to be one of the most reliable sources of the franchise, as far as I can see. Dynamically changing facts would only bring the name infamous.

One can't really blame, though. One of Bulbapedia's goals is to be one of the most reliable sources of the franchise, as far as I can see. Dynamically changing facts would only bring the name infamous.
I think they're going a bit too far, however, when they're questioning things like did Lunala use Air Slash, when Gladion's Silvally is commanded to use the same move in the same episode with identical animation.

Bulbapedia has bigger issues than its reliance on subtitles, such as staff members starting articles with no real content and demanding others to create full-length pages on their userspace before they can be mainspaced, taking years and years to resolve discussions on pages that are candidates for splitting, merging, or moving to a different title, among several other annoyances and inconsistencies.

While I agree with you that sometimes their dependence on subtitles goes too far, I think waiting for solid evidence is a good measure in most situations. I say that because many moves have the exact same animation, such as Power Gem and Hyper Beam during the Best Wishes series, which may cause users to add inaccurate information. Most of the time this ends up with users needing to fix links in a multitude of pages and images being moved over at the Archives, which although are small inconveniences, it's better if we avoid them altogether.

It's infamous already. 97% of the fandom thinks the discussions regarding a Pokémon's gender are simply ridiculous, and you can see multiple discussions with long posts about it on Ash's Charizard talkpage, and this is just one example.

Okay, it’s obvious that this thread has already run its course.

While it is fine to discuss about issues regarding some articles or modus operandi in Bulbapedia, this isn’t the appropriate section for this kind of discussion, as Anime & Manga is only to discuss about the anime and the manga themselves. If you want to bring out some questions or problems regarding the wiki, including articles about moves used in the anime, you can do so in the Bulbawiki section.

Also, if you have some issues with some members of the staff, please redirect said issues directly to said members of the staff, if not to the higher-ups themselves. Do not use this or any other thread in any other forum to target staff just because you have some disagreements with them.

As such, this thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom