• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Trainer classes in black tower seem to have pokemon based on what Ev's they drop for instance a gentlemen and youngsters seem to only use pokemon that give speed EV's female school kids and socialite seem to have only pokemon that give special defense, ditto for psychic but for special attack. Is this true? And if it is, is worth putting on bulbapedia?

Finally getting around to creating an account for the first time after using the wiki for some time...

At the bottom of the account creation page: "take the time to revise Bulbapedia policy and guidelines"

"revise" them.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be review unless you want all the new users to be going through and changing the policy/guidelines.

Finally getting around to creating an account for the first time after using the wiki for some time...

At the bottom of the account creation page: "take the time to revise Bulbapedia policy and guidelines"

"revise" them.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be review unless you want all the new users to be going through and changing the policy/guidelines.

Review it certainly should be, and now is. Thanks for the heads up.

Just wondering if the articles for characters that are in the anime and the games, where the 'In the anime' section is a short stub pointing to a Character (anime) article, we could get a hatnote pointing to that article?

Something like, This article is an overview of the character, for their [anime appearance/anime counterpart] see Character (anime)

Considering the articles like Misty, Bianca, Brock and Iris are all but exclusively about their appearances in the games in terms of the content of those articles, it seems a bit counter intuitive to bury a link to the article about the anime characters within an article that's broadly irrelevant to what is being searched for - the articles don't attempt to be written in a way that talks about the multiple appearances/differences, indeed aside from the info box having a line like 'anime debut', the articles don't mention anything about the anime until the 'In the anime' section, which either requires looking for the section in the navigation box or scrolling past what is usually an extremely long list of quotes.

Surely if the intention was that the main articles were covering the characters as a whole, the lead paragraphs would be written to mention the distinct roles that they have in the anime compared to the games. Otherwise, to use Bianca as an example, why is she introduced only as being,
She is a rival character in Pokémon Black and White and an Assistant Pokémon Professor to Professor Juniper in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2.

Rather than mentioning all of the appearances, something like;
She is a rival character in Pokémon Black and White and an Assistant Pokémon Professor to Professor Juniper in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, as well as appearing as a recurring character in the Pokémon anime and supporting character in the Pokémon Adventures manga.

It'd be a minor point, but I'll rarely remember to type '(anime)' in the search box to go straight to that article and the in forum links take you to the main article (even when in the anime forum). A hatnote would be a quick and obvious place to add links to what are characters with very little in common besides their names/broad appearance, and I think make it far easier to navigate the wiki. Trying to write introductions that are relevant to all appearances would be difficult; my example for Bianca is clunky as it is, but for characters like Brock, nearly none of the information mentioned in their current article intro holds true for their anime counterpart.

^I agree. A hatnote at the very top of the page is much better than scrolling down, trying to find "In the anime" in small font, and then clicking that hatnote.

_____

I've noticed that in articles like Iris's Axew and Brock's Steelix, in which the Pokémon hatches or evolves off-screen, the information box in the top-right says "Hatches in | Prior to In the Shadow of Zekrom!​" and "Evolves in | Prior to Grating Spaces!"
I tried tinkering with the formatting so that "Prior to" can appear as "Prior to", thus making it distinct from the actual episode title, but I can't find a way. Is this possible or just one of the conundrums of wiki?

Last edited:
I've noticed that in articles like Iris's Axew and Brock's Steelix, in which the Pokémon hatches or evolves off-screen, the information box in the top-right says "Hatches in | Prior to In the Shadow of Zekrom!​" and "Evolves in | Prior to Grating Spaces!"
I tried tinkering with the formatting so that "Prior to" can appear as "Prior to", thus making it distinct from the actual episode title, but I can't find a way. Is this possible or just one of the conundrums of wiki?

It's only possible if the template is changed so that the italics and link are included manually, on every article. Otherwise you're trying to get the italics and link to start in the middle of a parameter. 'Closing' the template's italics for the "Prior to" and then 'opening' them again doesn't work, as it means that the link and italics tags are overlapping. As in HTML, wikicode tags need to be either nested or completely separate. As a result, the software reads it as a new, nested italics. The difference isn't observable, because most browsers and computers are clever enough not to double-italicise things.

Related to that, double bold tags do have an effect, being replaced with the "strong" font style. On some computers this is indistinguishable, but later versions of Windows in particular do show a difference, which can be as much as replacing Arial with Arial Black.

Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea thread

Just noticed the mini image for Stunfisk is actually a Cubchoo. Noticed it when checking abilities.

Edit: just noticed Skourpi is a Riolu as well

Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea thread

Just noticed the mini image for Stunfisk is actually a Cubchoo. Noticed it when checking abilities.

Edit: just noticed Skourpi is a Riolu as well

Could you link to what you're referring to? I looked at the page and I could not find anything.

Should it be noted that this is the first time that (I can ever recall) the Pokémon Company has officially described the pronunciation of Pokémon? I'm talking about Xerneas (Zʊr-ni-ɐs, ZURR-nee-us) and Yveltal (I-vel-tɑl, ee-VELL-tall), of course. Should these pronunciation guides be put on each legendary's page? Pokémon usually have pretty unanimously pronounced names, but some, like Pidgeot, Elekid, and Ampharos are frequently pronounced differently. This is the first time in English that Pokémon has ever officially and explicitly pronounced a Pokémon's name apart from just a spokesperson or anime VA saying it.

Source

Should it be noted that this is the first time that (I can ever recall) the Pokémon Company has officially described the pronunciation of Pokémon? I'm talking about Xerneas (Zʊr-ni-ɐs, ZURR-nee-us) and Yveltal (I-vel-tɑl, ee-VELL-tall), of course. Should these pronunciation guides be put on each legendary's page? Pokémon usually have pretty unanimously pronounced names, but some, like Pidgeot, Elekid, and Ampharos are frequently pronounced differently. This is the first time in English that Pokémon has ever officially and explicitly pronounced a Pokémon's name apart from just a spokesperson or anime VA saying it.

Source

We've also had a bunch confirmed in things like [bp]The Official Pokémon Handbook[/bp]. I don't think it is fair to say that these are the only confirmed pronunciations.

Shows what I know. According to the most recent edition, which we don't have have a page for yet, the first 646 Pokémon all have official pronunciations. In the preview for the B/W guide, Ampharos is said to be pronounced Amf-uh-ross, one of its original pronunciations (the other being Amf-uh-rous). That makes 648 explicitly phoneticized names (though Kel-di-ou and Mel-ou-et-uh have been said enough times to be essentially official, and the Gen VI starters aren't very difficult to guess).

So, we have the official pronunciations of nearly every Pokémon's name in English. I know it's been denied before, but why can't we put this information on each Pokémon's page? I mean... it's official. It'd just be adding a little extra section to the main info box called "English Name Pronunciation".

I really dislike the officially used phonetic system since it mixes actual phonetic symbols with convenient English words. It reminds me of kiddy science books that typed out STEG-guh-SOAR-us and the like. Could we use it in conjunction with the IPA (not the shorthand I typed two paragraphs ago, but the symbols used in my previous comment)?

I really don't see how a little text box with useful, official information and a link to the IPA guide can be discouraged. I wouldn't bet against it, though. Hell, I'd buy the guide myself if no one else has it and is willing to either edit each page themselves or paste all of the pronunciations on the forum to share.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Hidden Grotto on Route 23 is kind of confusing to find : On this page, the location of this Hidden Grotto is said to be located south of the Black Belt.

The thing is, on this route there are 2 Black Belts : one near the west entrance of the Giant Chasm and another in the forest labyrinth near the Victory Road. And the Hidden Grotto is (fortunately for the Cut HM haters) where the first Black Belt is.

Could the described location be reworded like the following :

To the south of the Black Belt near the West entrance of the Giant Chasm

Cordially, somebody who got lost in the forest labyrinth but found a wild Gliscor to make up for the time lost searching that Hidden Grotto. :sweatlol:​

The Hidden Grotto on Route 23 is kind of confusing to find : On this page, the location of this Hidden Grotto is said to be located south of the Black Belt.

The thing is, on this route there are 2 Black Belts : one near the west entrance of the Giant Chasm and another in the forest labyrinth near the Victory Road. And the Hidden Grotto is (fortunately for the Cut HM haters) where the first Black Belt is.

Could the described location be reworded like the following :

To the south of the Black Belt near the West entrance of the Giant Chasm

Cordially, somebody who got lost in the forest labyrinth but found a wild Gliscor to make up for the time lost searching that Hidden Grotto. :sweatlol:​

Fixed, more or less.

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place (I probably am), but who do I contact to get my Bulbapedia username changed? Currently I'm Dannyjenn but I want it changed to Xenidal (which is what I go by now). If an admin here has the power to do so then you can go ahead and do it for me...

Also, I was wondering if there's a way to clear my user talk page? I deleted everything from it but someone undid the edit, saying it was against the rules. I just want to get rid of some old clutter that's no longer relevant (not wure why there's a rule against that...). After looking at the rules, I see something about archiving the page but I'm a bit confused on how that's done and what it does exactly. Anyone know?

Okay, to start off. The Pedia is different than the forums. Can't just have your name changed whenever you feel like you want to go by a different name. I'm not sure if you'd even be allowed to, since you've only made 3 edits since last March. If you're never around to use the account, why bother trying to change your Pedia name? Just a thought.

Second, are you sure you really want to archive your page right now? You barely have anything on it. Most users won't make an archive page until it hits between 15-25 sections. But yes, it's against the rules to delete comments on most talk pages except under extreme circumstances (or if you figure out an answer to your own question within a few minutes of asking), but most of the time that will be an admin's job. It's not so much as "We don't want you doing it just because we say so" as it is a sort of record keeping of who said what, where they said it, and what it's a response to. Not all conversations take place on the same page, moving from an article's talk page, to a user's talk page, to somebody else's talk page when we're trying to figure stuff out. If half of those comments are deleted then it'd get very frustrating to try finding the details if something goes wrong.

To archive your talk page, use the "move page" function to move it to the location of your choice (provided it stays in your user talk or userspace). Then replace the redirect that automatically gets created with a link to that page so that people can find the archived talk pages.

Shows what I know. According to the most recent edition, which we don't have have a page for yet, the first 646 Pokémon all have official pronunciations. In the preview for the B/W guide, Ampharos is said to be pronounced Amf-uh-ross, one of its original pronunciations (the other being Amf-uh-rous). That makes 648 explicitly phoneticized names (though Kel-di-ou and Mel-ou-et-uh have been said enough times to be essentially official, and the Gen VI starters aren't very difficult to guess).

So, we have the official pronunciations of nearly every Pokémon's name in English. I know it's been denied before, but why can't we put this information on each Pokémon's page? I mean... it's official. It'd just be adding a little extra section to the main info box called "English Name Pronunciation".

I really dislike the officially used phonetic system since it mixes actual phonetic symbols with convenient English words. It reminds me of kiddy science books that typed out STEG-guh-SOAR-us and the like. Could we use it in conjunction with the IPA (not the shorthand I typed two paragraphs ago, but the symbols used in my previous comment)?

I really don't see how a little text box with useful, official information and a link to the IPA guide can be discouraged. I wouldn't bet against it, though. Hell, I'd buy the guide myself if no one else has it and is willing to either edit each page themselves or paste all of the pronunciations on the forum to share.
I have [bp]The Official Pokémon Handbook[/bp], [bp]The Official Pokémon Handbook 2[/bp], [bp]The Official Pokémon Handbook 3[/bp], Pokémon Kanto Handbook (no BP article), and [bp]Pokémon Ultimate Handbook[/bp] (the latter of which I can't find), both of which have pronunciations in them. Some of these even conflict (e.g. BLAST-oys in OPH and BLAS-toys in PKH; GLIE-gar in OPH2 and GLIE-ger in OPH3), as well as minor formatting differences that still essentially result in the same pronunciation.

Someone has made a list of all the pronunciations here. While I disagree with a lot of the way they interpretted the Pokedex 3D Pro names (e.g. the game goes say BUL-buh-sore like guides say, not BUL-bul-zore), it is a fairly detailed list.

The issue I have with using IPA over the official system is that IPA is not official. There will be arguments about which is correct if we use IPA, whereas if we only use sourced pronunciations there is no subjectivity issue. Of course, with all the different official pronunciations, I don't know if it is even practical to list them.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Someone has made a list of all the pronunciations here. While I disagree with a lot of the way they interpretted the Pokedex 3D Pro names (e.g. the game goes say BUL-buh-sore like guides say, not BUL-bul-zore), it is a fairly detailed list.

The issue I have with using IPA over the official system is that IPA is not official. There will be arguments about which is correct if we use IPA, whereas if we only use sourced pronunciations there is no subjectivity issue. Of course, with all the different official pronunciations, I don't know if it is even practical to list them.

Well, the Pokédex 3D Pro also says things like Ven-oʊ̯-mɑθ and Ven-oʊ̯-næt, unnaturally turning the second syllable of each from an unstressed "uh" to a falling "oh." I'd trust the most recent edition of the complete handbook (Ultimate) over an app that lists things like Char-MEAL-un, Po-NEE-tuh, and ILL-eck-trode.

I suggested in conjunction with, not over the official phonetics. If precision is an issue, we'd have to agree on a Handbook pronunciation first and then base the IPA on it. If you'd let me, I'd add the IPA text below it since I: can read IPA, am a phonetics enthusiast, always try to be perfectly accurate, have heard these names in plenty of English media to know what they are, and have read enough kids books to know what "Bell-LAHS-um" sounds like.
If arguments arise, or it proves to be problematic from the outset, we'll just stick with one of the official pronunciations. If multiple, I say we vote. Or, just omit that Pokémon's pronunciation until later publications/anime appearances/name-dropping consecutively confirm one (Kyurem comes to mind).

If this is seriously being considered (please!), it would need its own thread.

P.S. Better IPA link.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom