• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

So I noticed today that the Abandoned Ship page was moved to the name Sea Mauville. While it is true that Sea Mauville is in the same location, has some of the same items and serves the same purpose....should we really just rename the page? The Sea Mauville isn't a ship from what I've seen in-game and is basically a complete replacement with everything else the same. Wouldn't two pages be better since they are different things?

Tin Tower was renamed to Bell Tower for HeartGold and SoulSilver so this is something that had been done before by renaming a location for the remakes.

Kogoro

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will be launched in the south between 5 and 12 December America, Brazil 5th in other countries at a later date , you could add this in the topic:

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Real Font: Pokémon Omega Ruby i Alpha Sapphire - Viquipèdia, l'enciclopèdia lliure

Add to South America , thanks View attachment 96745

Wikipedia, as a publicly editable encyclopedia, is not a source that we can reliably use for any information. Do you happen to have an official source, such as a Nintendo website, that lists this release date for South America?

So I noticed today that the Abandoned Ship page was moved to the name Sea Mauville. While it is true that Sea Mauville is in the same location, has some of the same items and serves the same purpose....should we really just rename the page? The Sea Mauville isn't a ship from what I've seen in-game and is basically a complete replacement with everything else the same. Wouldn't two pages be better since they are different things?

We'll look into this and take appropriate action regarding it. It is possible that someone moved the article based solely on the Hoenn map, rather than visiting the location.

There's a big difference, it was still a tower. Sea Mauville doesn't appear to be a ship.

Actually, Sea Mauville is a ship. In fact, you can even walk out onto the deep sea crane rigging at it's bow. It is, in essence, the same ship. It simply is 3D and has a name and a very very small backstory now.

Does anyone know about Archie and Maxie's full entry?
None of the pokemon sites, even serebii net has not uploaded their members, move sets and abilities while gym leaders , E4 and Steven got their entries fully revealed.
And Tabitha and Shelly's too!

The Abandoned Ship is re-titled Sea Mauville. There are various documents that mention it and an employee ID says "Sea Mauville Employee ID Group Leader Stern Excavation Unit No. 8 (Team I)". Also, just as a side note, there in the same room is a reference to a DS stating" There's an old game system with two screens... Something about it is different from the system you have..."

There's a big difference, it was still a tower. Sea Mauville doesn't appear to be a ship.

Actually, Sea Mauville is a ship. In fact, you can even walk out onto the deep sea crane rigging at it's bow. It is, in essence, the same ship. It simply is 3D and has a name and a very very small backstory now.

I haven't done that so I can't really say anything, but the official artwork for ORAS looks nothing like a ship, and to top it off, multiple NPCs call it a building, including the guy in Slateport Shipyard watching the construction of the SS Tidal: "Sea Mauville is a unique place. It’s a building, yet it’s also a natural preserve", the guy with the Plusle shirt on the Sea Mauville "I came here cause my uncle told me there are extraordinary treasures in this abandoned building", and an elderly guy on the roof of Mauville City calls it a platform.

I haven't done that so I can't really say anything, but the official artwork for ORAS looks nothing like a ship, and to top it off, multiple NPCs call it a building, including the guy in Slateport Shipyard watching the construction of the SS Tidal: "Sea Mauville is a unique place. It’s a building, yet it’s also a natural preserve", the guy with the Plusle shirt on the Sea Mauville "I came here cause my uncle told me there are extraordinary treasures in this abandoned building", and an elderly guy on the roof of Mauville City calls it a platform.

It's entirely possible that the programmers made a mistake because, if you actually look at Sea Mauville from a distance, it is clearly a ship that sank in a Titanic-esque fashion with it's bow in the air and the rest of the ship underwater. It may have been used as an off shore oil rig type vessel with people living on it, but it IS a ship.

It's entirely possible that the programmers made a mistake because, if you actually look at Sea Mauville from a distance, it is clearly a ship that sank in a Titanic-esque fashion with it's bow in the air and the rest of the ship underwater. It may have been used as an off shore oil rig type vessel with people living on it, but it IS a ship.

No,it IS NOT a ship but a building.
Mentioning Sea Mauville as a building IS NOT a programming mistake, because it is mentioned as a building multiple times in-game.

A member of the nature preservation society at Sea Mauville tell us something:

"The most easily recognizable feature of Sea Mauville is this building, which now tilts precariously into the sea. After being exposed to the elements for so long, the building’s support structures weathered and corroded, ultimately leaving the building in its current state."

It looks like a sank ship DOESN'T necessary meant it is a ship. It's only your preconception that Sea Mauville is a ship.

And sorry for my bad English.

Last edited:

No,it IS NOT a ship but a building.
Mentioning Sea Mauville as a building IS NOT a programming mistake, because it is mentioned as a building multiple times in-game.

A member of the nature preservation society at Sea Mauville tell us something:

"The most easily recognizable feature of Sea Mauville is this building, which now tilts precariously into the sea. After being exposed to the elements for so long, the building’s support structures weathered and corroded, ultimately leaving the building in its current state."

It looks like a sank ship DOESN'T necessary meant it is a ship. It's only your preconception that Sea Mauville is a ship.

And sorry for my bad English.

Well EXCUSE ME for never having talked to this random dude in game that you're quoting. It looks like a ship to me, after all it has rigging on it and crap.

Has anyone playing OR had the multibattle in battle maison with Maxie?
Then, can you tell me the move set his camerupt has?

you guys should do a mobile app... not because the site doesn't work on mobile (works great, chrome is my pokedex), but just as a way to maybe help fund the site, and it might allow for some cool tools. besides I'm pretty sure half the pokedex apps out there use parsed data from this site in their ad-supported apps, so might as well make some money from it...

if you did, do android so someone can mod some mini tablet into an awesome pokedex hahaha.

if you did, you can allow users to choose a generation (simple, accessible, tap the pokedex icon that's always up top or something) for a basic skin to browse, or search by name/#, pulling up the pokedex info from that gen. the sections from the wiki page can just be collapsed or links to separate pages (perhaps swipe L or R to view sections? available in many open-source android apps, if developers need cues), already dialed to the selected gen (for pictures, moves, tm/hm, etc). if a user never selects a game gen. there's the anime/manga pokedex's to fall back on.

other stuff:

- for each entry/section you can have a gen. selector that operates like the 'new post' button in the Tumblr mobile app's API (It's open source, it's ok). you tap the icon, and the post type choices pop-up to choose what kind. switch that to choosing the gen. and you can keep it on all pages without worrying about clutter.

- you have libraries of all in-game images of the pokemon (front & back), meaning you should technically be able to incorporate Google Goggles (also an open api). this would allow a user to use their phone's camera to ID a pokemon from the screen of their game, to get detailed info. it would take development before it could ID things from other media/merchandise, so might as well start with what you have. of course you also have the archives and all that...

- a town map (that allows zooming). with no gen selected, use a world map or something. with a gen selected use that game's map. from here allow location articles to pop up, cities shold have a secondary map for more details on specific buildings, etc. caves/routes/forests/etc are usually linear so making them sectional could save on having to load a full map, but still allow zooming. even if like in Safari Zone (for example) have zone 1 with an arrow on the right and top to lead to other zones. same mechanic can be applied to caves and routes where their maps are just simplified into individual chunks. further split into floors/levels. create clickable areas around stairways, buildings, holes, etc for navigation. also allow to swipe to list of floors, notable locations, etc. article subjects with locations can then have a "show on map" option, too.

- important that going between dex and map don't lose the user's place on either.

- favorites/bookmarks panel.

- Game tracker. allow users to update their current rosters, locations, badges, and collections for a specific game they're playing. need to have as many different games at a time as the user wants. also have to be deletable or lockable (maybe someone wants to show off a nuzlocke run or something, I dunno). also good to track inventories across different cartridges/games for trading.

- a pokemon & item collection tool, per game and overall. mark captured pokemon, quantity of (incase you want like 6 magikarp for whatever reason), gender, shiny or no, etc. also a way to track all items in inventory and held by a pokemon. so all articles about obtainable pokemon/items need to have a quick way to add to collection for a game, including quantity (unless it's a lone key item). the overall collection could be a way for people to show off how they conquered every region, got the badges, caught them all, and so on, all in one convenient place on their phone. and again tracking to see what they have available to trade.

- the tracker could also (someday) allow for warnings like "you brought all water and flying types into the power plant, dummy" or things like "if your Burmy[f] levels up here it will evolve as this type: Grass/Ground/Steel"

- it's worth noting that the effectiveness of the tracker and everything is entirely up to the user. and are extra features beyond just being an encyclopedia (the most important part). but it would be what sets the Bulbapedia app apart from all the other ones (I would assume). if they play like that, it will be invaluable, if they don't it won't be in the way. you have no responsibility to safeguard these lists they make either, but it might be worth incorporating a way to back up to Google Drive or something just in case.

- the big complaint I see about other pokedex apps is they fall apart at non-linear evolutions (eevee for example). if all evolution info on a page is marked by a token, you can reuse the tumblr new post tool to create a expandable chart with icons that doesn't require a linear arrangement (that i know of).there might also be open source games with the scripts for this, especially card games or something like Mahjongg.

- soundboards of music/cries/item noises/etc built from online content for users to customize their phone sounds. purely as luxury.

- this app is not intended to allow editing or even Bulbapedia community interactions, but is a product built off everything available on the website from the community. trying to include wiki-like features probably won't work out so hot.

- the majority of this content doesn't need to be in-app, to keep down on size, and can just be accessed from online (special servers would probably have to be set up I guess). but a certain amount of high importance stuff should be included in case a user is offline or in airplane mode or something. it also helps keep it from being an app with high data usage.

-the Generation selection could also help manage data. by switching, a new set of images/text could be swapped out and saved on device, removing the previous one. if a user doesn't switch around much, less media needs to be downloaded repeatedly as it's stored on the device. but settings should allow the user to decide what level of cached data works for them. some might not care if the app data is huge, others might always be on wifi and not care about data rates.

thaaaats about all I can think of... hahaha. this would be my ideal pet project, but I don't know a thing about programming, so I figured let you guyo try. this marketing-side brainstorming junk is as involved as I've ever gotten... either way, had to write this somewhere!

you guys should do a mobile app... not because the site doesn't work on mobile (works great, chrome is my pokedex), but just as a way to maybe help fund the site, and it might allow for some cool tools. besides I'm pretty sure half the pokedex apps out there use parsed data from this site in their ad-supported apps, so might as well make some money from it...

if you did, do android so someone can mod some mini tablet into an awesome pokedex hahaha.

if you did, you can allow users to choose a generation (simple, accessible, tap the pokedex icon that's always up top or something) for a basic skin to browse, or search by name/#, pulling up the pokedex info from that gen. the sections from the wiki page can just be collapsed or links to separate pages (perhaps swipe L or R to view sections? available in many open-source android apps, if developers need cues), already dialed to the selected gen (for pictures, moves, tm/hm, etc). if a user never selects a game gen. there's the anime/manga pokedex's to fall back on.

other stuff:

- for each entry/section you can have a gen. selector that operates like the 'new post' button in the Tumblr mobile app's API (It's open source, it's ok). you tap the icon, and the post type choices pop-up to choose what kind. switch that to choosing the gen. and you can keep it on all pages without worrying about clutter.

- you have libraries of all in-game images of the pokemon (front & back), meaning you should technically be able to incorporate Google Goggles (also an open api). this would allow a user to use their phone's camera to ID a pokemon from the screen of their game, to get detailed info. it would take development before it could ID things from other media/merchandise, so might as well start with what you have. of course you also have the archives and all that...

- a town map (that allows zooming). with no gen selected, use a world map or something. with a gen selected use that game's map. from here allow location articles to pop up, cities shold have a secondary map for more details on specific buildings, etc. caves/routes/forests/etc are usually linear so making them sectional could save on having to load a full map, but still allow zooming. even if like in Safari Zone (for example) have zone 1 with an arrow on the right and top to lead to other zones. same mechanic can be applied to caves and routes where their maps are just simplified into individual chunks. further split into floors/levels. create clickable areas around stairways, buildings, holes, etc for navigation. also allow to swipe to list of floors, notable locations, etc. article subjects with locations can then have a "show on map" option, too.

- important that going between dex and map don't lose the user's place on either.

- favorites/bookmarks panel.

- Game tracker. allow users to update their current rosters, locations, badges, and collections for a specific game they're playing. need to have as many different games at a time as the user wants. also have to be deletable or lockable (maybe someone wants to show off a nuzlocke run or something, I dunno). also good to track inventories across different cartridges/games for trading.

- a pokemon & item collection tool, per game and overall. mark captured pokemon, quantity of (incase you want like 6 magikarp for whatever reason), gender, shiny or no, etc. also a way to track all items in inventory and held by a pokemon. so all articles about obtainable pokemon/items need to have a quick way to add to collection for a game, including quantity (unless it's a lone key item). the overall collection could be a way for people to show off how they conquered every region, got the badges, caught them all, and so on, all in one convenient place on their phone. and again tracking to see what they have available to trade.

- the tracker could also (someday) allow for warnings like "you brought all water and flying types into the power plant, dummy" or things like "if your Burmy[f] levels up here it will evolve as this type: Grass/Ground/Steel"

- it's worth noting that the effectiveness of the tracker and everything is entirely up to the user. and are extra features beyond just being an encyclopedia (the most important part). but it would be what sets the Bulbapedia app apart from all the other ones (I would assume). if they play like that, it will be invaluable, if they don't it won't be in the way. you have no responsibility to safeguard these lists they make either, but it might be worth incorporating a way to back up to Google Drive or something just in case.

- the big complaint I see about other pokedex apps is they fall apart at non-linear evolutions (eevee for example). if all evolution info on a page is marked by a token, you can reuse the tumblr new post tool to create a expandable chart with icons that doesn't require a linear arrangement (that i know of).there might also be open source games with the scripts for this, especially card games or something like Mahjongg.

- soundboards of music/cries/item noises/etc built from online content for users to customize their phone sounds. purely as luxury.

- this app is not intended to allow editing or even Bulbapedia community interactions, but is a product built off everything available on the website from the community. trying to include wiki-like features probably won't work out so hot.

- the majority of this content doesn't need to be in-app, to keep down on size, and can just be accessed from online (special servers would probably have to be set up I guess). but a certain amount of high importance stuff should be included in case a user is offline or in airplane mode or something. it also helps keep it from being an app with high data usage.

-the Generation selection could also help manage data. by switching, a new set of images/text could be swapped out and saved on device, removing the previous one. if a user doesn't switch around much, less media needs to be downloaded repeatedly as it's stored on the device. but settings should allow the user to decide what level of cached data works for them. some might not care if the app data is huge, others might always be on wifi and not care about data rates.

thaaaats about all I can think of... hahaha. this would be my ideal pet project, but I don't know a thing about programming, so I figured let you guyo try. this marketing-side brainstorming junk is as involved as I've ever gotten... either way, had to write this somewhere!

Read this

Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea thread

I've gotten to the Sealed Chamber on my Omega Ruby game. The messages say "Long did we live here, in this cave. All thanks to the powerful Pokemon living alongside us. Yet we sealed that Pokemon away, alone in the dark. We feared it. If you have the courage, if you still hold onto hope, open the door, for beyond it the eternal Pokemon waits." "First comes Relicanth, last comes Wailord." Maybe it's time to update that.

I have a suggestion

Since ORAS is out and there is no risk of leaked information, how about you unlock the entire wiki?

It might be worth considering a variant of the Move Variations template for Contest move variations -- moves that have identical effects in contests.

I technically broke the usertag policy by creating User Omega Ruby and User Alpha Sapphire, but as primary game tags they would have been accepted by the admins immediately. Should I have asked them anyway?

Something I wondered, is if the Ever Grande City article was going to be or should be split between Ever Grande City and Pokémon League (Hoenn)? Obviously, in ORAS they are classed as two separate locations (Or at least have separate markers on the map).

Just thought it could at least be discussed...

Back
Top Bottom