• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea/problem thread

If anyone else sees these, please give us as much detail on these as you can. It seems very unusual that these ads would get in our rotation to begin with, but it's not impossible, and we will investigate it. I'm not seeing them myself, and it's possible it's already been fixed by our ad network, but then I'm Australian, and I could well be seeing different targeted ads than you are.

ok, i went offline and did some investigating.
i only found one smoking ad which can be seen right here.
however, upon my investigation, i found a few ads for something called "Evony" and the images dont strike me as appropriate for the site, as seen here and here.
also, this ad isnt offensive, its just really annoying. it halts the page for 15 seconds, or you tell it to skip.

I think you guys need to have a different listing for Legendary Pokemon like Mewtwo and Deoxys, that are only given legendary status because of their rarity or strength. Neither of these Pokemon even existed until very recently in the Pokemon world, so how can they be considered to be legendary?

I think you guys need to have a different listing for Legendary Pokemon like Mewtwo and Deoxys, that are only given legendary status because of their rarity or strength. Neither of these Pokemon even existed until very recently in the Pokemon world, so how can they be considered to be legendary?

Legendaries are unique, (generally) non-gendered, and always (with one exception) non-breedable.

Stats also come into play.

Legendaries are unique, (generally) non-gendered, and always (with one exception) non-breedable.

I understand that those are the general guidelines for something to be considered a Legendary Pokemon on the Pedia. However, what I'm getting at is that some of the Pokemon that are listed as "Legendary" on there can't really be called "legendary" by the actual definition of the word. According to the article on Legendary Pokemon, there are multiple terms referring to what we call Legendaries, each with their own nuances and implications. Why don't you use those terms instead of grouping everything together and calling it Legendary?

Don't forget no evolution chain; that works out all the time. Also, some are version-exclusives or have a major role in-game. Another biggie is (generally) only one per game. Events are exceptions. And, high catch levels, for the most part.

------------------------------------

On a different note, we should go around checking for dead fanlistings; nearly all of them are.

I understand that those are the general guidelines for something to be considered a Legendary Pokemon on the Pedia. However, what I'm getting at is that some of the Pokemon that are listed as "Legendary" on there can't really be called "legendary" by the actual definition of the word. According to the article on Legendary Pokemon, there are multiple terms referring to what we call Legendaries, each with their own nuances and implications. Why don't you use those terms instead of grouping everything together and calling it Legendary?

Because it's much easier to have one catchall term; plus, that's what the entire fanbase uses.

I was thinking maybe the GS sprites should have there own box instead of just leaving space were the sprites for remakes box empty.

Also why haven't you guys put in animated backsprites?

Because it's much easier to have one catchall term; plus, that's what the entire fanbase uses.

Even when the catch-all term is inaccurate?

It's inaccurate to you.

Do you have a better term, then?

Do you have a better term, then?

You could just refer to them as rare, powerful Pokemon. Or, if you need to give them a title, you could use the ones from the Japanese version.

mhpoir.png

Fine in Firefox 3.6

You could just refer to them as rare, powerful Pokemon. Or, if you need to give them a title, you could use the ones from the Japanese version.

There is nothing wrong with the term Legendary.

There is nothing wrong with the term Legendary.

Merriam-Webster has two definitions for the word "legendary":
1 : of, relating to, or characteristic of legend or a legend
2 : well known, famous

Mewtwo is a genetically engineered clone and Deoxys is a mutated virus from outer space. I very much doubt that there are any legends about either of these two Pokemon.

And you can't say they're legendary by the second definition either. If you go buy their status in the Pokemon Universe, only a handful of people know about Mewtwo, and Deoxys is debatable depending on the canon that you're going by. If you go by their status in the real world, then you need to add Pikachu to the list of Legendaries as well, since it's clearly more well-known and famous then either of these two.

We're not going to entertain this idea anymore. They're Legendary Pokemon and that is how it's staying.

Back
Top Bottom