• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea/problem thread

Nothing we can really do about that - we still don't know what's causing the problem.

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before or anything. Maybe on the Pokémon pages, there would be something people could click on to hear how to pronounce the names(English and Japanese).

I think Bulbapedia is very convenient. I visit it frequently.

Wait, have I missed something? On a couple pages it says there are 496 Pokemon. Shouldn't that be 495? 493 + Zorua + Zoroark = 495. At first I thought I'd missed some big reveal of a new Pokemon or something, but it says the page was last edited on March 1 and April 5, respectively. Is this a simple typo, or am I missing something here?

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before or anything. Maybe on the Pokémon pages, there would be something people could click on to hear how to pronounce the names(English and Japanese).

I think Bulbapedia is very convenient. I visit it frequently.

English pronunciations have a rather wide-scale problem. Official books have one or more pronunciations, the anime has at least one more pronunciation, and Pokémon Battle Revolution has some of its own pronunciations.

We tried to add the English pronunciations to the species pages close to a year ago, and it became very problematic for that very reason. Until TPCi can produce and entirely agree upon single pronunciations for each species, it's probably better to avoid them.

Wait, have I missed something? On a couple pages it says there are 496 Pokemon. Shouldn't that be 495? 493 + Zorua + Zoroark = 495. At first I thought I'd missed some big reveal of a new Pokemon or something, but it says the page was last edited on March 1 and April 5, respectively. Is this a simple typo, or am I missing something here?

Seems a page that shouldn't have been counted was being counted. This has been fixed. You may need to hard refresh the page for the count to change on your end, however.

English pronunciations have a rather wide-scale problem. Official books have one or more pronunciations, the anime has at least one more pronunciation, and Pokémon Battle Revolution has some of its own pronunciations.

We tried to add the English pronunciations to the species pages close to a year ago, and it became very problematic for that very reason. Until TPCi can produce and entirely agree upon single pronunciations for each species, it's probably better to avoid them.

True. That's quite understandable. Like Bonsly and few others out there. Japanese would be quite easier as you just pronounce to how it's written in Katakana. But there isn't much point if we can't do the English ones.

Someone mentioned size comparisons toward the beginning of this thread. This might not necessarily be something for Bulbapedia (and instead could just be a flash or program or something), but I think it'd be neat if there was a side-by-side comparison of Pokemon stats and/or learnset. This would be good for when, say, I want to choose between getting Slowbro and Slowking, or deciding when to evolve a Pokemon. Obviously this can already be done now by looking at each individual page and comparing, but if anyone has the ambition, I feel like there could be a more convenient way to display that sort of thing.

I have a very important suggestion.

The shiny sprites should be in some kind of spoiler area that you have to click to be shown.
I think it's very sad when you came to read about a Pokémon and you see its shiny sprite which should be a surprise that you find inside the game! :-/

Shiny Pokémon are loosing its grace because you are just showing them and breeding millions of them using RNG...

I don't want to see the shiny sprites when I just want to read the Trivia for example.

I don't want to see them when I use the link "<Pokémon> images on Bulbagarden Archives". (I know that this second one would be hard to change)

I hope you hide the shiny sprites (putting them in a different page or under a "show shiny sprites
button") for the good of Pokémon lovers that like to have surprises in the game.

SPOILER ALERT, SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE.

Shinies aren't an easter egg, dude. They're a game mechanic. Next you want us to hide level-up learnsets, because they're spoiling the surprise of the next move you'll get?

SPOILER ALERT, SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE.

Shinies aren't an easter egg, dude. They're a game mechanic. Next you want us to hide level-up learnsets, because they're spoiling the surprise of the next move you'll get?

Level-up learnsets are very different from shiny sprites!!!

You sure will learn the level-up learnsets if you have a Pokémon and raise it, it's 8192/8192 of chance of "seeing" the learnset.

But you only see a shiny sprite in a 1/8192 of chance (not counting Red Gyarados), and what you are doing is just killing this chance, you are killing this surprise, and not with only one Pokémon, you are showing the shiny sprites of ALL known Pokémon and who don't want to see don't have a choice to not to see, I must see the shiny sprite if I want to read the whole article! :(

Hi, so I made an animated version of Lance's backsprite (see avatar). I noticed the backsprites used by Bulbapedia aren't animated, so it might be inconsistent or whatnot--but if Bulbapedia wanted to use it, I wouldn't mind. I'd prefer to upload it myself since I made it, but I don't have an account and don't know the specific rules for image uploading and whether images ought to be replaced or renamed etc etc.

But yeah. :)

Level-up learnsets are very different from shiny sprites!!!

You sure will learn the level-up learnsets if you have a Pokémon and raise it, it's 8192/8192 of chance of "seeing" the learnset.

But you only see a shiny sprite in a 1/8192 of chance (not counting Red Gyarados), and what you are doing is just killing this chance, you are killing this surprise, and not with only one Pokémon, you are showing the shiny sprites of ALL known Pokémon and who don't want to see don't have a choice to not to see, I must see the shiny sprite if I want to read the whole article! :(
Right. We're an encyclopedia. The point of reading one is to acquire knowledge that you otherwise wouldn't have had you not read us. Should we similarly ban discussion of differences in appearance between genders because there's a probability you won't see them? Not mention hold items, because there's only a chance they will be held?

We aim to be comprehensive and include all pertinent information. Shiny coloration and sprites are just a part of that.

Right. We're an encyclopedia. The point of reading one is to acquire knowledge that you otherwise wouldn't have had you not read us. Should we similarly ban discussion of differences in appearance between genders because there's a probability you won't see them? Not mention hold items, because there's only a chance they will be held?

We aim to be comprehensive and include all pertinent information. Shiny coloration and sprites are just a part of that.

I still think that the chance of seeing shiny sprites of a Pokémon is much lower than seeing the gender differences of a Pokémon.

I still think that the chance of seeing shiny sprites of a Pokémon is much lower than giving Griseous Orb to Giratina for example. The text "Increases the power of Dragon and Ghost moves when held by Giratina." appears in the game (it's obvious you have to give it to Giratina!!!) and other things you learn watching the anime / movies or simply paying attention in the game...

I still think that the chance of seeing shiny sprites of a Pokémon is much lower than raising Riolu in the daytime (with happiness) or even exposing a female Glalie to the radiation of a Dawn Stone!

I can keep on doing this comparations with the rest of game mechanics if you want. :)

I still think that the chance of seeing shiny sprites of a Pokémon is much lower than seeing the gender differences of a Pokémon.

I still think that the chance of seeing shiny sprites of a Pokémon is much lower than giving Griseous Orb to Giratina for example. The text "Increases the power of Dragon and Ghost moves when held by Giratina." appears in the game (it's obvious you have to give it to Giratina!!!) and other things you learn watching the anime / movies or simply paying attention in the game...

I still think that the chance of seeing shiny sprites of a Pokémon is much lower than raising Riolu in the daytime (with happiness) or even exposing a female Glalie to the radiation of a Dawn Stone!

I can keep on doing this comparations with the rest of game mechanics if you want. :)

We're not doing it.

Ok.....

I have a question.
When organizing languages in "In other languages" section, should I do...
* Portuguese (Brazilian): <word>
* Portuguese (European): <word>

or should I do...
* Portuguese:
** Brazilian: <word>
** European: <word>

?

The shiny sprites should be in some kind of spoiler area that you have to click to be shown.
I think it's very sad when you came to read about a Pokémon and you see its shiny sprite which should be a surprise that you find inside the game! :-/

Shiny Pokémon are loosing its grace because you are just showing them and breeding millions of them using RNG...

I don't want to see the shiny sprites when I just want to read the Trivia for example.

I don't want to see them when I use the link "<Pokémon> images on Bulbagarden Archives". (I know that this second one would be hard to change).
Download Firefox, install Adblock Plus, block all images with the rule [noparse]http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/*/Spr_*_s.png[/noparse] :)

Ok.....

I have a question.
When organizing languages in "In other languages" section, should I do...
* Portuguese (Brazilian): <word>
* Portuguese (European): <word>

or should I do...
* Portuguese:
** Brazilian: <word>
** European: <word>

?
I believe the latter is what is currently used. Don't take my word on it, though.

Back
Top Bottom