• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea/problem thread

Bulbapedia uses the information given through official sources above information generated by unofficial sources. CoroCoro an official source, while you are not. Unless an official Japanese source says that the romanization "Zoroa" is correct, its romanized name as far as Bulbapedia is concerned, is Zorua.

The page will stay at Zorua (Pokémon) unless such events happen, or until its official English name is revealed. End of story.

"That romanization is wrong". Yeah, tell that to Prasle. Or maybe to Roserade. How about Crab? Koiking? Caterpie. Lizardon. Onidrill. Casey. Rarecoil. Laplace. Any one of the many Pokémon whose Japanese kana does not match exactly to the trademarked romanization. That's what Zorua is. The trademarked romanization. I don't care that the kana reads literally ゾロア ZOROA. That's not how we do things. クラブ is not romanized directly as "Crab", but as KURABU. キャタピー is not "Caterpie", but KYATAPII.

In short, the romanization "Zorua" appears in CoroCoro, and that is what we're going with. We can read kana, you know. We're not stupid. Game Freak used Zorua as the romanized name for it, despite having its kana name be ゾロア. Oh well. They romanized アンノーン as "Unknown", not ANNON. READ THE [bp=Bulbapedia:Manual of style]MANUAL OF STYLE[/bp], SPECIFICALLY the part about romanizing Japanese!

I understand that the romanization is not exactly what it is spelled. but that is only on certain pokemon.
Rapidash (example):
Japanese Gyaroppu
gya is interchangeable with ga because it is the closest
ro is interchangeable with lo for the same reason
ppu is interchangeable with p because it is the closest.
Zoroa:
if they wanted it to be Zorua, they would have spelled it out.
this is how it is spelled ゾロア it reads Zoroa
this is how you spell zorua ゾルア

they made gallop into gyaroppu because that was the closest to be able to write it in katakana.

I don't believe that is the case for zorua/zoroa. because both can be written perfectly in katakana.

Somebody needs to break out the banhammer, zorua style.

Just for the record, it's not like Zorua's name was written in Roman script on just that one Corocoro scan. Every single time its name has appeared romanized, in every single magazine and every single official website and every single piece of merchandise, it has been romanized as "Zorua."

It's not a typo.

EDIT: Just did I quick check, and in skimming my magazines and stuff I found 14 instances of the "Zorua" romanization, and a grand total of zero for "Zoroa." And that's not counting the initial Corocoro scans or every single use of the "Zorua" romanization on the official movie website.

Last edited:

Wasn't there a shirt that had Zorua on it?

I acknowledge that your point has been proven to me. (i stand by my case, but i won't argue anymore...)

But those /must/ be wrong, since hats and t-shirts aren't official sources~!

And I bring this back up. -_- OCD, still being killed.

Looks uglier if it's left. But sure, we'll try it.

Looks uglier if it's left. But sure, we'll try it.
*rbe* Like I said, the centered looks find for for single items that aren't all in a list (like the template example), but you can't tell me the centered looks "good" when none of that text in a list format is uniform. It's atrocious when its centered, on pages like this: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Valuable_item

Flush to the left, it looks a whole lot better, because the text isn't everywhere. *loves abusing the center tag too, for the record*

And I'll thank you, if it's kept so. =O

Hi, I'm new here, so please excuse my lack of avatar (for the moment). I just wanted to point out a mistake in the "List of Pokémon by effort value yield" here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_effort_value_yield

Hoppip is listed as giving 1 Speed EV per Hoppip defeated, but Hoppip gives 1 Sp.Def EV per Hoppip defeated.

I discovered this while EV training my Zubat on route 32 in HeartGold Version. After training from level 17 to level 24, and using Veekun's IV calculator to decipher my Zubat's IVs at each level, her Sp.Def was listed as "impossible input."
The only possible way for my Zubat to have such a high Sp.Def is if she had more than 20 EVs in Sp.Def

I suspected Hoppip because we had defeated significantly less of them than either rattatas or bellsprouts, and when I checked the Base Stats of Hoppip I found it's base stat in speed is 50, and it's base stat in Sp.Def is 55.

I think the confusion is because both of it's evolved forms, Skiploom and Jumpluff, are higher in speed.

However, I hadn't saved once the whole time I was training, so I was able to shut off and reset all the mixed up EV stats on my Zubat. Not that anyone asked xD

If any more information is needed, I'd be glad to give it.

You are correct; it is indeed 1 SpDef. We actually have the correct listing elsewhere on pedia, so it seems whoever did the list made a slight error.

Thanks for noticing!

EDIT: Should mention that I fixed it on that page.

The Viridian Gym page has two problems, although one might not be a "problem" per se.

The first thing I noticed, which is definitely a problem, is that the HG/SS trainer table has what appears to be a scripting error. The table is stretched out and you can see a part of the "coding" on the bottom of the table. The second issue is that when I tried to see if I could fix this error I realized their is no "Edit" option for this page. Is the page supposed to be uneditable by ordinary users or is that another error?

For quick reference: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Viridian_Gym

Hm... seems I should've checked the history on the protected part, my bad. Oh well, I figured as much since I was logged in. And since the table is fixed now that's all that really matters.

Pokewalker moves on Pokewalker pages

Hi,
Just cruising around the pokewalker pages looking at what moves are exclusive to pokewalker caught pokemon, and there's two things I want to do.

1. What would be the best way to indicate moves that are not normally learnt by the pokemon on pages such as
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Winner's_Path_(Pokéwalker_Route)
?

2. When editing pokemon pages (like Munchlax), what would be the best way to add pokewalker-exclusive moves? Would it come under Event moves, or would some fancy template be needed or what?

Thanks for listening to a noob-editor who is trying to improve Bulbapedia but doesn't quite know the best way to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not another New Zealander....

Ahem.

We have a number of ways of listing Pokéwalker-exclusive moves. Firstly, they should all be listed on each Pokémon's page under the "by events" section. Secondly, each move has an article that should also contain this information in a "http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Surf_(move)#Special_move_2]Special move" section. Thirdly, of course, they are all listed on each Pokéwalker Route article.

It might be worth altering the Pokéwalker template so that, say, a move will have a mark next to it to indicate whether it is a special move or not. Not everyone knows them by heart, after all.

So..... to answer your questions:
1) We'd need to implement a new system, but it wouldn't be hard
2) Yes, it does go under the "by event" move section, and also in the "special moves" section on the move page.

Thanks for your interest in the topic :)

Back
Top Bottom