• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea/problem thread

No.

Because that can change. Often. We hardly know what the lowest level possible is for a lot of them, because we didn't go through HGSS as thoroughly. We can guess, but then someone finds it lower. It's best to just leave it as references on the wild Pokémon and move relearner page.

Move relearner moves are just the level-up learnset. Moves "exclusive" to the relearner are just moves from a lower-than-legit level. You could hack an encounter with a wild Sceptile at level 22. It'd have Absorb, Quick Attack, X-Scissor, and Pursuit, in that order. But you can't get wild Sceptile, and Grovyle doesn't evolve until 36. That's why it's "exclusive".

All I ask for is just a tiny bit of understanding of how the games work when you look at the wiki. Figure at least some things out yourself by playing.

Can we have a poem section? It just feels wierd posting a poem in a fanfiction section. Everyone else has fanfics....and I'm out there looking dumb with a poem in their section...

Can we have a poem section? It just feels wierd posting a poem in a fanfiction section. Everyone else has fanfics....and I'm out there looking dumb with a poem in their section...

That's for the forums, not Bulbapedia. As far as I know, you can't post fan fiction on Bulbapedia.

All I ask for is just a tiny bit of understanding of how the games work when you look at the wiki. Figure at least some things out yourself by playing.

Well, I did say if...

And I would know this, having hacked a level 2 Rayquaza. It only knew Twister, and levelled up learning all those moves that are in its learn list.

Last edited:

This is in the wrong section, and I see you've already been warned about that.

In any case, there's no place for fanfiction on Bulbapedia whatsoever, and that includes poems. I'd suggest asking about this in regards to BMGf in, uhm, the Garden Grotto? Maybe? >_>

I have noticed that all of the Pokéwalker routes have disambiguation after their names in their titles, eg Yellow Forest (Pokéwalker Route). Yet, after going through every single Pokéwalker Route page, NONE of them need it. The name without the disambiguation redirects every single time. While this may have been necessary when we had to use Japanese names (*cough*Event*cough*), there is no longer any point. Can we have them all moved to just their own name (and phase out Template:pw).

As for moving, I could do them all if necessary, but I think BulbaBot would be a more efficient option.

Also, yes, I have posted this before. Just last time, it was completely ignored.

Carryover from the Japanese names, which did need the disambiguation... specifically Dim Cave (named Dark Cave, which is kind of in Johto), Resort (named Resort Area, like in Sinnoh), and Rally (named Event, conflicting with those things they always give Pokémon out at). I see nothing wrong with keeping it, though. Forces people to know what they wanna link to.

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but how about adding the stationary overworld sprites for the different trainer classes to their "Appearances" section.

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but how about adding the stationary overworld sprites for the different trainer classes to their "Appearances" section.

That's sounds like a good idea. You should change the page on Bulbapedia or go and ask a moderator to change it.

We could try, but that's a heck of a lot of sprites. We'd need a standardized name for them all, too.

We could try, but that's a heck of a lot of sprites. We'd need a standardized name for them all, too.

Would TrainerMiniSprite_[class] work?

So for "Youngster", it would be TrainerMiniSprite_Youngster.png, where for two-word names, just leave it in CamelCase:

e.g.

Galactic Grunt -> TrainerMiniSprite_GalacticGrunt.png (Unless, in-game it's actually just "Galactic" and the names are all set to Grunt. Is that actually how it works?)
Rocket Admin -> TrainerMiniSprite_RocketAdmin.png
Lass -> TraineMiniSprite_Lass.png
Youngster -> TrainerMiniSprite_Youngster.png
[Pk][Mn]Trainer -> TrainerMiniSprite_PkMnTrainer.png

etc.

I agree that that's a heck of a lot of sprites, but I don't think it would be any harder than when we got the sprites that we already have on the site.

Carryover from the Japanese names, which did need the disambiguation... specifically Dim Cave (named Dark Cave, which is kind of in Johto), Resort (named Resort Area, like in Sinnoh), and Rally (named Event, conflicting with those things they always give Pokémon out at). I see nothing wrong with keeping it, though. Forces people to know what they wanna link to.
I actually did make a note of the fact that I knew some of the translated Japanese names needed it. Anyway, other locations don't use the disambiguating parenthesis, so why should Pokéwalker locations. I know that it would be a pain to move, but that shouldn't be what decides whether or not something is done. If it's the fact that 27 moves in a short period of time would affect the server, we could move them gradually. If there is nothing wrong with keeping it, then why don't we just keep all of these templates that you are replacing? They weren't broken (well, most of them at least), but they got "fixed", so these pages should likewise. Forcing people to know what they need to link to is not a great idea, it just means more people not using LT for other users to fix up.

Would TrainerMiniSprite_[class] work?

So for "Youngster", it would be TrainerMiniSprite_Youngster.png, where for two-word names, just leave it in CamelCase:

e.g.

Galactic Grunt -> TrainerMiniSprite_GalacticGrunt.png (Unless, in-game it's actually just "Galactic" and the names are all set to Grunt. Is that actually how it works?)
Rocket Admin -> TrainerMiniSprite_RocketAdmin.png
Lass -> TraineMiniSprite_Lass.png
Youngster -> TrainerMiniSprite_Youngster.png
[Pk][Mn]Trainer -> TrainerMiniSprite_PkMnTrainer.png

etc.

I agree that that's a heck of a lot of sprites, but I don't think it would be any harder than when we got the sprites that we already have on the site.
Good idea, but use spaces in the names where there are spaces in the names. If there is a naming scheme to them, it makes it easier to have templates use them. I came across a similar situation when I was adapting Template:Shop for decorations (Template:Shopdec). They all had a naming convention, but they had no spaces. This meant that all of the sprites had to be manually entered, rather than what most templates do, including Template:Shopitem. It makes it much easier if spaces are used, like on the Bag sprites.

BTW: Name it "Galactic Grunt", even if they are all named Grunt.

Good idea, but use spaces in the names where there are spaces in the names. If there is a naming scheme to them, it makes it easier to have templates use them. I came across a similar situation when I was adapting Template:Shop for decorations (Template:Shopdec). They all had a naming convention, but they had no spaces. This meant that all of the sprites had to be manually entered, rather than what most templates do, including Template:Shopitem. It makes it much easier if spaces are used, like on the Bag sprites.

Alright then, that makes sense. But you can't have spaces in filenames because underscores are parsed as spaces.

So like this, then:

Galactic Grunt -> TrainerMiniSprite_Galactic_Grunt.png

: ?

Magby (Pokemon) Article Problem

I believe there is a problem with the Magby (Pokemon) article. When I looked at it, it said the only way to get one is to "trade" and it was like this for all the Generation III games. I think that this should be looked over since I am sure it is possible to get one by breeding two Magmars (or a Magmar and a Ditto) and hatching it from an egg (Leafgreen is the only game with Magmar in Generation III). I'm surprised it is showing this since Elekid shows "breed Electrabuzz" to receive it. So why should Magby be like this? I'm no good at editing so I think someone else will have to do it.

Thank you,
naagza

Re: Magby (Pokemon) Article Problem

I believe there is a problem with the Magby (Pokemon) article. When I looked at it, it said the only way to get one is to "trade" and it was like this for all the Generation III games. I think that this should be looked over since I am sure it is possible to get one by breeding two Magmars (or a Magmar and a Ditto) and hatching it from an egg (Leafgreen is the only game with Magmar in Generation III). I'm surprised it is showing this since Elekid shows "breed Electrabuzz" to receive it. So why should Magby be like this? I'm no good at editing so I think someone else will have to do it.

Thank you,
naagza
Fixed. It now says Breed Magmar.

Alright then, that makes sense. But you can't have spaces in filenames because underscores are parsed as spaces.

So like this, then:

So? They're parsed as spaces... on Archives too. If we can get the previous generations' overworld sprites, we could gladly pull this off.

So like this, then:

We'll want the game and gender too, so:

Galactic Grunt (female) -> TMS_Galactic_Grunt_f.png
Pokéfan (male; DPPt) -> TMS_Pokéfan_D_m.png
Ace Trainer (male; HGSS) -> TMS_Ace_Trainer_H_m.png
Koga (HGSS) -> TMS_Koga_H.png
Looker -> TMS_Looker.png

You'll notice that I'm using the same letters we use for the sprites, but in capital to distinguish from Gender. Also, TrainerMiniSprite was getting a bit long, so I shortened it to TMS.

EDIT: This is all the sprites we currently have. Perhaps "ani" could be attached to the name of the animated ones?

Last edited:

We'll want the game and gender too, so:

Galactic Grunt (female) -> TMS_Galactic_Grunt_f.png
Pokéfan (male; DPPt) -> TMS_Pokéfan_D_m.png
Ace Trainer (male; HGSS) -> TMS_Ace_Trainer_H_m.png
Koga (HGSS) -> TMS_Koga_H.png
Looker -> TMS_Looker.png

Seems good, but you might want to use the full abbreviation to avoid confusion. So:

Male Pokéfan (DPPt) -> TMS_Pokefan_DPPt_m.png (No accented é on filenames, please.)

I swear we fixed that problem.

Back
Top Bottom