• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea/problem thread

Why? It doesn't match the name.

Well, on all of the pages for the various pokemon, I keep seeing 'base exp.' I have an idea of what this is, but could you possibly into more explanation of it, such as how it's calculated? Maybe if it's enough information, a page for it, kind of like the base stat value page.

Seems good, but you might want to use the full abbreviation to avoid confusion. So:

Male Pokéfan (DPPt) -> TMS_Pokefan_DPPt_m.png (No accented é on filenames, please.)
Again, é makes it easier to template. It causes no problem on the archives. The problem before was due to other characters at the end of file names, such as ).

EDIT: Also meant to mention, we can just for the letters used in the sprites rather than the full lot, it's much simpler.

Last edited:

On the Talk Pages of many articles, people ask about things that don't/won't really help the article. Maybe if we linked to the Simple Questions/Simple Answers thread, it would stop this sort of thing. Another thing is that questions on the Talk Page don't really get answered for quite a long time, whereas in the aforementioned thread, they get answered pretty quickly.

Well, on all of the pages for the various pokemon, I keep seeing 'base exp.' I have an idea of what this is, but could you possibly into more explanation of it, such as how it's calculated? Maybe if it's enough information, a page for it, kind of like the base stat value page.

Ya know, I've never understood that either.

On the Talk Pages of many articles, people ask about things that don't/won't really help the article. Maybe if we linked to the Simple Questions/Simple Answers thread, it would stop this sort of thing. Another thing is that questions on the Talk Page don't really get answered for quite a long time, whereas in the aforementioned thread, they get answered pretty quickly.

That sounds like a good idea to me, but who am I to respond.

*hand raise* Can we have some sort of images for the Johto safari zone page? Because some of us are stupid and can't tell the wetland from the marshland from the swamp, or the peak from the mountain, or the plains from the meadow, the desert from the savanna, and what the heck is the wasteland, etc.

'Cuz the Other Place gots 'em, =X and I dun wanna be goin' there no more than I hafta.

You don't calculate base exp, it's set for each pokemon in the data. Theres this:http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_effort_value_yield if you want to see a list.

As for calculating exp:http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Exp#Gain_in_battle

Neither link explain "base exp" and what it is, which is the statistic found on Pokémon pages alongside "Battle exp".

I personally think that the "Battle exp." listing is misleading anyway.

The Base Exp. is, in the first place, the experience points gained by defeating a level 7 Pokemon of that species. Why do we need another example for 50? It's not very common that you battle a Pokemon that's exactly level 50, except in the Battle Tower/Battle Frontier where you don't gain experience anyway.

That being said, I think we should get rid of the "Battle exp." box altogether, and move the note that was there to the Base Exp. box, saying "the experience points gained upon defeating a level 7 Pokemon of this species".

Again, é makes it easier to template. It causes no problem on the archives. The problem before was due to other characters at the end of file names, such as ).

Oh, it's a templating issue. I must be deaf, I didn't take that into account when TTE said it 10 posts ago >_<

"Base EXP" and "EV effort yield" are peas and tomatos: not the same thing.

I may be misunderstanding you, but the Exp column in the link you quoted is the Pokemon's base exp. Explaining what base exp is, is a different thing. However, from my point of view, base exp is pretty clear: its a predetermined number on each pokemon that affects the exp you gain from fainting it.

My explanation may be vague, but I don't see a point for a whole new page for base exp.

"Base EXP" and "EV effort yield" are peas and tomatos: not the same thing.

Neither link explain "base exp" and what it is, which is the statistic found on Pokémon pages alongside "Battle exp".

Base experience and EV yield are quite the same. They're encoded in the species, and both are the basemost thing that determines a Pokémon's growth when they defeat a member of that species. They can also be altered by several items.

And the battle exp. thing is explained on every page. Hover over that asterisk. Based on battling a wild level 50 Pokémon. The details are on the experience page, but considering the template already links to that page, I figured it'd be stupid to link it again.

Also, I did it at level 50 because that's a nice round number. How often are you gonna find a level 7 Moltres?

Also, I did it at level 50 because that's a nice round number. How often are you gonna find a level 7 Moltres?

How often are you going to find a level 50 Tentacruel?

I'd suggest a slightly lower number like 20 or 35. But not 50.

(But in case you really don't want to, I can provide another rationalization. The base stats are calculated as the stats if the Pokemon were at level 50, so why not the battle experience? XD.)

Base experience and EV yield are quite the same. They're encoded in the species, and both are the basemost thing that determines a Pokémon's growth when they defeat a member of that species. They can also be altered by several items.
Are they inter-related at all? Is one species EV-production related to what one's base exp is? 'Cuz if they aren't, they're peas and tomatos.

What's the earn yield of experience for fainting a Pokémon? You certainly don't get 55 experience facing a lv 1 Pidgey. You get, like, 8. And then 12, then 15, or something like that. So what does the number do? Since "base" usually means "bottom," something doesn't add up.

Shoving a footnote on the experience article with wtf "base exp" is wouldn't hurt...because it makes as much sense as the "base stats" on a Pokémon's stat charts.

Are they inter-related at all? Is one species EV-production related to what one's base exp is? 'Cuz if they aren't, they're peas and tomatoes.

What's the earn yield of experience for fainting a Pokémon? You certainly don't get 55 experience facing a lv 1 Pidgey. You get, like, 8. And then 12, then 15, or something like that. So what does the number do? Since "base" usually means "bottom," something doesn't add up.

For some reason, the base exp. is for level 7, not level 1. So defeating a Level 7 Pidgey would give you 55 experience points. Don't ask us, ask the game developers.

By that logic, the "base stats" of a Pokemon should all be 5, 'cause that's what they all are at the hypothetical level 0. (Except for HP, which is 10.) Instead, the base stats are calculated for Level 50.

(It's 7, 15, then 23, BTW.)

Shoving a footnote on the experience article with wtf "base exp" is wouldn't hurt...because it makes as much sense as the "base stats" on a Pokémon's stat charts.

I'll get on that.

Just for fun, I would really like to see a complete explanation for why different types effect each other the way they do.
Why is grass strong against rock?
Why is Psychic weak to bug?
And so on, I know it's a big job, but I think it would be kind neat!

Just for fun, I would really like to see a complete explanation for why different types effect each other the way they do.
Why is grass strong against rock?
Why is Psychic weak to bug?
And so on, I know it's a big job, but I think it would be kind neat!

Problem is, there are no real reasons why - it's just programmed that way in the game.

Yeah, I guess your right, there is no real reason. It's just something that I always think about while playing.
It never made sense to me that bugs are strong against fighting attacks and poison is weak to ground and psychic.

Bugs are WEAK on Fighters, and Poison is neutral against Psychic.

some of this is pretty standard (water puts out fire) and i agree, some dont make sense (yes, punching a piece of steel always works), but this isnt a BP related issue. i would suggest discussing it elsewhewre on the forums.

Code:
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "User::invalidateCache". Database returned error "1205: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction (174.37.30.34)".

TTE WHAT DID YOU DO.

This came up anytime I loaded a page a few minutes ago.

Back
Top Bottom