• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Re: Official Bulbapedia suggestion/idea/problem thread

Also

Are they inter-related at all? Is one species EV-production related to what one's base exp is? 'Cuz if they aren't, they're peas and tomatos.

What's the earn yield of experience for fainting a Pokémon? You certainly don't get 55 experience facing a lv 1 Pidgey. You get, like, 8. And then 12, then 15, or something like that. So what does the number do? Since "base" usually means "bottom," something doesn't add up.

Shoving a footnote on the experience article with wtf "base exp" is wouldn't hurt...because it makes as much sense as the "base stats" on a Pokémon's stat charts.

Base stats. Base experience. It's not the level 1 stuff at all. It's the number it's calculated from. Footnotes don't need to exist if you read the article. If you missed it, hey, not my fault, but does that mean we have to write everything in an article twice? Learnsets, catch locations, all that? The calculation for experience gained is RIGHT THERE. Level 50 and level 100 are used as the generic levels because... that's the most generic you can get. Plus, they're the levels you're forced to in most battle arenas.

And before you make the excuse "oh noes, hardly any wild level 50 Pokémon", well what level do you want me to put? Level 1? You hardly encounter Pokémon there. Level 7? People will ask why we, not the game designers, chose such a random level.

As for why they're together. Again. Both are generated on the defeat of the Pokémon. Want us to do something like put only the Electric-type moves Pikachu learns in one table, regardless of how they're learned, just because they're STAB, and therefore more important? No. Base experience fits with EV yields in the same way Slam and Thunderbolt both fit in Pikachu's level-up learnset.

Level 7? People will ask why we, not the game designers, chose such a random level.

Which is why I then suggested 20 or 35. Those levels are actually encounterable most of the time in-game, and are still pretty "generic".

Besides the little riff I have with the "Battle Exp." heading, I pretty much agree with everything else you said. Base exp. is in the same place as the effort value yield, and is a perfectly okay heading to have in the article, as is it also a sort of "effort value".

Last edited:

Well I could have it be a random level between 1 and 100...

Well I could have it be a random level between 1 and 100...

Nahhhhhhhhhh.

(on proposition of a moderator:) It's obviously a tongue-in-cheek idea, hence the tongue-in-cheek reply.

Last edited:

Actually, I meant it. It wouldn't be difficult to program at all.

Hey, playing through my Pearl again, and I hit up the Hearthome page to check out Barry before I battled him, and noticed something.

the move pool for his Grotle only has two moves in it on the wiki page under "If the Trainer chose Piplup", the moves being Tackle and Razor Leaf, and I just battled him, and his Grotle used Absorb.

Just wondering if it was a goof in the game or the wiki.

Actually, I meant it. It wouldn't be difficult to program at all.

Wut ._.

And here I thought you were joking.

I mean, it wouldn't be hard to program, but that's an even worse idea than pegging it at 50. Then, there's at most like a 1 in 10 chance that the info is actually useful.

How about this - have a different one for each Pokemon, and make it based on the levels that it appears at most commonly in the wild?

For example, if you're taking Pidgeys into account, you could say that the Battle Exp. is 31 because that's the Exp. that you get when defeating a Level 4 Pidgey.

That way, for legendaries that actually do appear at level 50 (the Lake Trio, for example), you'd actually have it at 50. And for, say, Arceus (level 80, if I'm not mistaken) you'd actually have it at 80.

Hey, playing through my Pearl again, and I hit up the Hearthome page to check out Barry before I battled him, and noticed something.

the move pool for his Grotle only has two moves in it on the wiki page under "If the Trainer chose Piplup", the moves being Tackle and Razor Leaf, and I just battled him, and his Grotle used Absorb.

Just wondering if it was a goof in the game or the wiki.

Wiki is not complete. You can add it if you want.

In the newly released video, if you pause at the right time between when the building comes out of the ground and the crown is placed on N's head, you can see two new characters. Should this be mentioned in the Bulbanews article?

Wrong thread. I make no comment about Bulbanews at this time.

Some of those sections don't have complete movesets, since not all moves are used against each Pokémon - If the player is using a Pokémon resistant to Grass, then the AI will use other type moves in preference to the Grass type one. If you come across more of these then add them to the page.

I'm kinda irritated by how uptight the moderators are. I don't think that double posting deserves infraction points, especially on my own thread as well as having threads being closed down because they are not "thread worthy" - who is to say what is/isn't thread worthy...I wouldn't write it in a thread if it wasn't. Please CHILL OUT.

I'm kinda irritated by how uptight the moderators are. I don't think that double posting deserves infraction points, especially on my own thread as well as having threads being closed down because they are not "thread worthy" - who is to say what is/isn't thread worthy...I wouldn't write it in a thread if it wasn't. Please CHILL OUT.

This is for Bulbapedia. Not the forum.

There are now two articles on formulas that use a Level 78 Garchomp in their examples (Damage and Experience).

I propose that we continue to use this Garchomp as a character in the rest of the formula pages involving Pokemon, and have it as a mascot of the Bulbapedia project "Formulas".

If we do do that, we need it to have a nickname.

A couple things about the villa page.

First of all, I think the Villa article needs a guide on how to unlock the items that aren't available from the start when you buy the villa. Some require buying other items and some require battling trainers and the like. I think how to unlock the unlockables should be added.

Secondly, I think pictures of the Guest Set, Wall Clock, Masterpiece, Tea Set, and Chandelier need to be put into the article. I'm not sure why those five have no pictures, but they need to be there.

Wut ._.

And here I thought you were joking.

I mean, it wouldn't be hard to program, but that's an even worse idea than pegging it at 50. Then, there's at most like a 1 in 10 chance that the info is actually useful.

How about this - have a different one for each Pokemon, and make it based on the levels that it appears at most commonly in the wild?

For example, if you're taking Pidgeys into account, you could say that the Battle Exp. is 31 because that's the Exp. that you get when defeating a Level 4 Pidgey.

That way, for legendaries that actually do appear at level 50 (the Lake Trio, for example), you'd actually have it at 50. And for, say, Arceus (level 80, if I'm not mistaken) you'd actually have it at 80.

Then we'd have to, pretty arbitrarily, pick a level. Especially wonderful considering about half the Pokémon aren't found ANYWHERE wild, like Pidgeot, starter Pokémon, Manaphy... And then it'd be another parameter to put on every article...

A couple things about the villa page.

First of all, I think the Villa article needs a guide on how to unlock the items that aren't available from the start when you buy the villa. Some require buying other items and some require battling trainers and the like. I think how to unlock the unlockables should be added.

Secondly, I think pictures of the Guest Set, Wall Clock, Masterpiece, Tea Set, and Chandelier need to be put into the article. I'm not sure why those five have no pictures, but they need to be there.

Wiki's not complete. Add them.

Then we'd have to, pretty arbitrarily, pick a level.

Yeah, pretty much. But like I said, it would be based on what level they appear in in the wild.

Especially wonderful considering about half the Pokémon aren't found ANYWHERE wild, like Pidgeot, starter Pokémon, Manaphy...

You'd use 50 for those ones.

And then it'd be another parameter to put on every article...

How does the template work as it stands?

*checks*

Oh. Uhh... yeah. Guess not, then. I'd volunteer to do it, but I don't know whether my work would be pleasing or not.

There are now two articles on formulas that use a Level 78 Garchomp in their examples (Damage and Experience).

I propose that we continue to use this Garchomp as a character in the rest of the formula pages involving Pokemon, and have it as a mascot of the Bulbapedia project "Formulas".

If we do do that, we need it to have a nickname.
It's Cynthia's Garchomp. That's why it's used.

Back
Top Bottom