• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Re: Official BULBAPEDIA suggestion/idea/problem thread

To me it seems like appendix stuff. We could have one page for all the types in the appendix. Or we could rewrite them how I rewrote [bp=Dragon_(type)#Characteristics]Dragon[/bp], which I changed before I realized that all types had these sections. It keeps the generalizations of the type, as well as some things that are bordering on trivia, then the contest type. It removes things such as "Because of the minimal amount of weaknesses that they have, they often find a way onto trainers' teams" which make statements about how players of the game use the type.

i see where youre coming from, but i think youre taking it a step too far. some types really do excel in one stat, or fall flat in others, and we have the genuine numbers to prove it (though they probably need to be updated). i think we can safely say that the Rock-type is pretty useless in the Sp. Atk (barring outliers like Omastar) and Spd (exception for Aerodactyl) (and Archeos for both stats!).

Yeah, I think the generalizations bout stats are OK, but my main problem is the CB tips/generalizations, saying that "TYPE is great for walling because it shuts down most POKEMON movesets". That kind of thing belongs n the appendix.

Putting something like that on Rock (type) is something I would agree with (but it may need rephrasing).

I just had a idea that I think might be good to try. First, i was wondering if we could put the Pokemon's cry up on each of the Pokemon's disambiguations page. I think its just weird how we have all the other stuff, like footprints and size, but not the cry it makes. I could edit sound blocks and maybe we could upload them up onto Bulbagarden Archives and use them. Thanks for your time

I just had a idea that I think might be good to try. First, i was wondering if we could put the Pokemon's cry up on each of the Pokemon's disambiguations page. I think its just weird how we have all the other stuff, like footprints and size, but not the cry it makes. I could edit sound blocks and maybe we could upload them up onto Bulbagarden Archives and use them. Thanks for your time

We tried that several times. Server didn't like it. Archaic's loathe to try again.

Hi, my suggestion is to revert the text "Hidden Ability" from Pokémon's "profile" in Pokémon articles back to "Dream World" because I had to search what "hidden ability" means before I could actually understand the information. "Dream World" is much more informative, a little detail.

Hi, my suggestion is to revert the text "Hidden Ability" from Pokémon's "profile" in Pokémon articles back to "Dream World" because I had to search what "hidden ability" means before I could actually understand the information. "Dream World" is much more informative, a little detail.
The issue with doing that is that they aren't exclusive to the Dream World. You can view more details by going back to the discussion in this thread from not long ago.

The issue with doing that is that they aren't exclusive to the Dream World. You can view more details by going back to the discussion in this thread from not long ago.
Hm, I found it, fine then thanks...

Don't know if I should create a separate thread on this or not but on the Transform Glitch page, it says that it is a glitch in HgSs which is also a common misconception amongst the fandom, however I have heard many people say that it works in English DPPt.

As far as the English version goes, I can confirm for myself that I have in fact performed this glitch twice in my Pearl, one on Mew and another on Clefairy.

I achieved this with the steps outlined on this post.

It makes sense as HgSs are probably built out of the same battle mechanics as DPPt, and if it had not been noticed until English HgSs release, then it should still exist in those games.

Unfortunately I cannot provide pictures or a video, but this is an easily performable glitch if you follow those guidelines closely, so I'm sure anyone else can confirm this.

Don't know if I should create a separate thread on this or not but on the Transform Glitch page, it says that it is a glitch in HgSs which is also a common misconception amongst the fandom, however I have heard many people say that it works in English DPPt.

As far as the English version goes, I can confirm for myself that I have in fact performed this glitch twice in my Pearl, one on Mew and another on Clefairy.

I achieved this with the steps outlined on this post.

It makes sense as HgSs are probably built out of the same battle mechanics as DPPt, and if it had not been noticed until English HgSs release, then it should still exist in those games.

Unfortunately I cannot provide pictures or a video, but this is an easily performable glitch if you follow those guidelines closely, so I'm sure anyone else can confirm this.
Technically that's a different glitch. The transform glitch should really be called the rage glitch, because that is what it is focused on. Your glitch should be noted at transform glitch instead.

EDIT: I just tried that glitch you linked to and it didn't work. However, the rage glitch worked fine. I tried both in SS, so now I'm going to try Platinum.

Last edited:

Technically that's a different glitch. The transform glitch should really be called the rage glitch, because that is what it is focused on. Your glitch should be noted at transform glitch instead.

EDIT: I just tried that glitch you linked to and it didn't work. However, the rage glitch worked fine. I tried both in SS, so now I'm going to try Platinum.
I'm still not quite understanding how its different. What I did worked on the principle of using Transform and Rage, getting the 'Rage is building' message, causing the moveset to stay after the Pokemon in question is fainted and the battle ends.

That's how I achieved it both times with Mew and Clefairy, and as far as I can tell, that's the glitch the page is describing. The page even mentions the use of Mimic.

As for the steps:

How to do the Mimic glitch
Mimic Glitch
-Your party needs a Ditto, Pokémon with Mimic (E/FR/LG has Mimic Move Tutor) and Pokémon with wanted moveset (I suggest getting Smeargle)
-Go to 2vs2 battle
-Let your Ditto use Transform
-After transforming, be sure your Mimicker is faster than Ditto and target your Mimic to Transformed Ditto
-Mimic copies the Transform
-Target Mimicked Transform into your Ditto
-On Dittos turn, switch Ditto to Pokémon which moveset do you want to get (Smeargle)
-After Trasforming, kill your Mimicking Pokémon
-Bring any Pokémon on front and win the match
-Now your Mimic Pokémon has forged all its previous moves and knows the moves of the Pokémon which you Transformed into.

The Mimicer doesn't actually need to be faster, in fact, its faster if the one using Mimic was slower (so using Quick Powder is advised) and used it right after the transformation. The steps simplified on how I did it (note that you should probably get your opponent down to their last Pokemon to make the last step work with ease):

-Turn 1: Send out Ditto/Mew and Pokemon X that knows Mimic
-Turn 2: Ditto/Mew use Transform (must go first), Pokemon X uses Mimic
-Transform is copied. At this point, everything else should be the same.
-Turn 3:Retreat Ditto/Mew, send out Smeargle w/ desired moveset + rage and Pokemon X Transform
-Turn 4: Pokemon X uses Rage, attack Pokemon X to make sure Rage builds.
-Turn 5+: Just keep using Rage and just keep attacking Pokemon X until it faints to make sure that you have the 'rage is building' message before you faint.
-Last turn: After Pokemon X faints, send in a Pokemon that will immediately end the battle by defeating all of your opponent's Pokemon. This is why I suggested getting them down to their last Pokemon the first time.

This is what I did exactly to achieve results. I failed the first time around due to not fainting my Clefairy. I believe with Mew, I failed because I did not immediately end the battle after rage was building. Perhaps you could try it again? I know I had to try at least two or three times for results.

Some complications I've noticed:
-If Pokemon X does not faint, it does not copy the moveset. Fainting is a requirement for this glitch to work, Mimic or otherwise.
-'Rage is building' message must occur. It cannot just faint without that message. Without it, the glitch doesn't work. That's already mentioned as a required part in the article.
-The battle must end right after (i.e. the turn after) Pokemon X faints. This was my initial problem with doing it with Mew. Kind of hard to faint something at level 50, even if it had a level 22 Smeargle's stats.
Well, I guess I can see how this glitch is different from the one you mentioned. The article states that the battle just has to end after rage builds. The method I've done in Pearl requires that the Pokemon faint, and the battle to end shortly after that, or perhaps it was bad wording in the article?

In any case, while this wasn't the original topic of discussion both these glitches hinges on the use of Rage. While I still don't see the fundamental difference you are trying to point out, I think that both should be called the Rage Glitch due to it being the main factor in both glitches.

Really, Mimic + Transform + Rage is just an extension of the Transform + Rage glitch.

Not sure if this is the place to suggest it, but I'm going to anyway.

With Hiyappu and Hiyakkie, they both have a development on their heads where at first it is a rising wave (Hiyappu) that crashes (Hiyakkie). Should this be mention in the trivia? Should subtle developments like these be mentioned in the trivia sections at all? (Another example is Pokabu's tail).

Could someone please explain to me why some of the 1.4-m Unova Pokémon are listed as 4'08" instead of 4'07"? 1.4 meters always rounds to 4'07"; the only way a Pokémon could be 4'08" is if GF randomly decided to make it that, and since none of these Pokémon have been revealed outside of Japan, they couldn't possibly have a confirmed non-metric height. I would have assumed it was merely an oversight, but they are listed as such in both lists of heights and in the individual articles, and two of the 1.4-m Unova Pokés are correctly listed as 4'07"; I wasn't sure why some of them were different. I didn't want to fix it in case their heights HAD been confirmed, but I'm not entirely sure how that would be possible?

Perhaps they just gave up and converted 0.1 m = 4 inches.

Either that, or the Imperial units aren't actually converted using a Wiki formula, which would probably explain it, given that some people don't know about the slight discrepancy between an inch (2.54 cm) and 2.5 cm (a 0.04 cm difference that adds up as you keep adding the inches).

You are right, though, that it's always 4'07", no matter how you slice it. It's 55.118 inches, which rounds to 55 whether you're using 5/4 or truncation.

You know, personally, I'd like to know why GF doesn't give some of the smaller units as cm. It would certainly give a more realistic range of Imperial units. I'm sure that Pokémon aren't either 4 inches or 8 inches tall. There are certainly a few in there that are 5 or 6 inches tall.

In any case, the Imperial units can't possibly be confirmed because the English games haven't been released yet, so it's probably safe to go and change them to 4'07".

Last edited:

Based on the talk page for the Saffron Gym, some notes I took while playing HeartGold, and the Prima's Official Strategy Guides for Red & Blue and Gold & Silver, I have determined that the setup of the teleporters in the Saffron Gym is the same in every generation (and thus presumably every Kanto-related game). It thus makes sense for this setup to actually be given in the article for the Saffron Gym, but I'm not sure what the best way to do it is. Should I just take the Gen I map, 'shop some letters on the teleporter pads, and add the result to the article? That seems like something that Bulbapedia tries to dissuade (after all, maps with guide letters get marked as unsatisfactory), but the only other way I can think of to describe the teleporters is with a needlessly complicated and unintuitive table. Should this be left to the walkthroughs in the appendices? This information seems too useful and invariant for it not to be given in the mainspace.

Based on the talk page for the Saffron Gym, some notes I took while playing HeartGold, and the Prima's Official Strategy Guides for Red & Blue and Gold & Silver, I have determined that the setup of the teleporters in the Saffron Gym is the same in every generation (and thus presumably every Kanto-related game). It thus makes sense for this setup to actually be given in the article for the Saffron Gym, but I'm not sure what the best way to do it is. Should I just take the Gen I map, 'shop some letters on the teleporter pads, and add the result to the article? That seems like something that Bulbapedia tries to dissuade (after all, maps with guide letters get marked as unsatisfactory), but the only other way I can think of to describe the teleporters is with a needlessly complicated and unintuitive table. Should this be left to the walkthroughs in the appendices? This information seems too useful and invariant for it not to be given in the mainspace.
If I recall, Bulbapedia's general stance is that its not a strategy guide. Mentioning that the teleportation pattern is the same throughout all generations, probably okay, but as for creating a guide on how to get through it? I'm not sure on that one.

In any case, the Imperial units can't possibly be confirmed because the English games haven't been released yet, so it's probably safe to go and change them to 4'07".

Or just. You know. Remove them. Because hey, tah dah, I programmed that template with new Pokémon we didn't know the OFFICIAL Imperial weights for in mind, intending them to ONLY have the metric in place until then.

Dub names are "wait until airing". Translated heights and weights likewise should be "wait until release". Otherwise you'll have the wrong weights everywhere. Same reason why all of the BW dex entries are in Japanese kana, with the English translation as a tooltip hover: if we just used the English translation, we'd find people going "O LOL BUBBLEPEDYA IS RONG" the day after BW comes out.

Of course, when's the last time people listened to me about waiting? The dub name and evolution/hatching/release/catching things? You guys whined that I didn't trust the users enough to NOT be dumb and make, for example, a "Dawn's Quilava" page redirecting to, or just, god forbid, COPYING THE SOURCE FROM, the protected Dawn's Cyndaquil page. Or even worse, users MOVING THINGS for no reason, because of their own damn guess. Remember Ash's Buizel? Yeah. Someone tried to make it at Ash's Buizel before DP034. OH WHO CAUGHT IT? DAWN! Gee, that's an issue, don't you think?

In closing, DEAR USERS: STOP DOING DUMB STUFF LIKE POSTING UNCONFIRMED THINGS. Bulbapedia's disclaimer exists due to that being the nature of a wiki, but COME ON GUYS. Let the people topside make a distinction so we don't have a Mew-under-the-truck rampage with Victini in the player's bed in Gen V.

I'm still not quite understanding how its different. What I did worked on the principle of using Transform and Rage, getting the 'Rage is building' message, causing the moveset to stay after the Pokemon in question is fainted and the battle ends.

That's how I achieved it both times with Mew and Clefairy, and as far as I can tell, that's the glitch the page is describing. The page even mentions the use of Mimic.
In any case, while this wasn't the original topic of discussion both these glitches hinges on the use of Rage. While I still don't see the fundamental difference you are trying to point out, I think that both should be called the Rage Glitch due to it being the main factor in both glitches.
Thing is, the post you linked to doesn't mention Rage at all. However, you mention Rage in your explanation.

Thing is, the post you linked to doesn't mention Rage at all. However, you mention Rage in your explanation.
Ah that's it, it must've been an oversight of mine because I read the Gamefaqs thread linked as well where they mentioned Rage so I must've processed it as part of the instructions. I can see where the communication problems occurred.

So yeah, the steps I did, which is what I believe the Bulbapedia article mentions also works in Pearl. I've seen some people on Youtube claim it, but it's Youtube. However I have done it myself.

Back
Top Bottom