• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Re: Official BULBAPEDIA suggestion/idea/problem thread

*raises hand*

Links to corresponding event pogeys on species pages? y/y?

As in, if I'm looking at Scizor's page, a link to the "Goon's Scizor" entry on the 2010 event page and whatever other events had Scizor....and not necessarily the entry on the page itself (Pikachu would get overly crowded if it were).

Or on the disambig pages?

Am I putting this in the right place?:

Is there a way to change username at Bulbapedia? If not, can an admin do so?

Last edited:

*raises hand*

Links to corresponding event pogeys on species pages? y/y?

As in, if I'm looking at Scizor's page, a link to the "Goon's Scizor" entry on the 2010 event page and whatever other events had Scizor....and not necessarily the entry on the page itself (Pikachu would get overly crowded if it were).

Or on the disambig pages?
There is actually a template for that, as seen on Mew's page. All it needs is for someone with knowledge of the events to add it to the species pages.

Am I putting this in the right place?:

Is there a way to change username at Bulbapedia? If not, can an admin do so?
Yes, this is the right place. Name changing on Bulbapedia can only be done by an Editorial Board member. However, the tool they use to do so is currently broken, so no name changes can be done at the present time.

Bulbasaur Name Meaning.

I was looking at the foriegn names and it hit me, it's got a third name component, the same meaning as the French name.

Bulbasaur. 'Basaur', pronounced similarly to Bizarre, alluding to the Japanese name of Fushidane, Mysterious Bulb.

Thought it would be better to place here instead of on each page. If you go to GameFAQs, some pages have a little Black and White ad banner. If you explore it and look at the Triple Battle video, it confirms Tabunne's English name as Audino, Ononokus's English name as Haxorus, and Denchura's English name as Galvantula.

Last edited:

I believe this has been a subject of some controversy, so I'm here to try to get it settled out. I was referred to the forums by MAGNEDETH, who told me that there were numerous topics devoted to the subject; I have yet to find them.

And the topic is: GIF over APNG. We should convert to GIFs because they load quickly, support animation on ALL browsers, not just Firefox, Safari, and Opera. I've heard something about how PNG images are better quality, but in a tiny image that only uses 2 or 3 shades of each color, I don't see why quality is a priority. If Bulbapedia is supposed to be about providing the best information about Pokemon that there is, shouldn't we use an image format that has viewable animation on ALL browsers, instead of a select few? I agree that PNG images are very well suited, if not necessary, for things like pictures of the show and Sugimori art, but by using PNG images for sprites, we are using up much more space then we need to and handicapping those who use Internet Explorer and Google Chrome from being able to view animation then we would using GIFs.

I believe this has been a subject of some controversy, so I'm here to try to get it settled out. I was referred to the forums by MAGNEDETH, who told me that there were numerous topics devoted to the subject; I have yet to find them.

And the topic is: GIF over APNG. We should convert to GIFs because they load quickly, support animation on ALL browsers, not just Firefox, Safari, and Opera. I've heard something about how PNG images are better quality, but in a tiny image that only uses 2 or 3 shades of each color, I don't see why quality is a priority. If Bulbapedia is supposed to be about providing the best information about Pokemon that there is, shouldn't we use an image format that has viewable animation on ALL browsers, instead of a select few? I agree that PNG images are very well suited, if not necessary, for things like pictures of the show and Sugimori art, but by using PNG images for sprites, we are using up much more space then we need to and handicapping those who use Internet Explorer and Google Chrome from being able to view animation then we would using GIFs.

You bring up some good points, and I've always agreed that barely perceptible differences in quality are not a good reason to alienate two huge demographics of users. The assumption that everyone has FireFox is absurd and has to go. I'm at school, and presently using Internet Explorer. That's all we have access to. In other words, yes, I think the extreme PNG hype is annoying.

However, the problem is that we would need a standard by which to go if we don't make an absolute statement regarding what format files should be uploaded as. If we were to say "any animated image smaller than (insert size here) can be a GIF, while anything larger must be a PNG," no one would read it and those that did would A) not know what it meant or B) disregard it.

Then again, most people, including myself at one point, have historically ignored any rules regarding image uploading, so that's something to consider.

You bring up some good points, and I've always agreed that barely perceptible differences in quality are not a good reason to alienate two huge demographics of users. The assumption that everyone has FireFox is absurd and has to go. I'm at school, and presently using Internet Explorer. That's all we have access to. In other words, yes, I think the extreme PNG hype is annoying.

However, the problem is that we would need a standard by which to go if we don't make an absolute statement regarding what format files should be uploaded as. If we were to say "any animated image smaller than (insert size here) can be a GIF, while anything larger must be a PNG," no one would read it and those that did would A) not know what it meant or B) disregard it.

Then again, most people, including myself at one point, have historically ignored any rules regarding image uploading, so that's something to consider.

Thank you for your support! I'm glad to know I'm not crazy!

As for the matter of file size, I think we should base the image format on what type of image we're talking about. For example, there aren't many images besides sprites that are low quality enough to use GIF. If we only converted animated sprites to GIF, then we would solve the problem of the animations only playing on select internet browsers, and leave everything that is not animated (ie. everything that isn't a sprite, therefore being higher quality) as a PNG. The only images that are small enough to be GIFs are sprites anyway, and I agree that PNGs are necessary for files that use a much broader color spectrum.

I'm not sure if there is a rule regarding APNGs over GIFs for sprites, but everytime I edit one of the sprites to a GIF, the edit gets reverted by some crazy guy who's foaming at the mouth over its "low quality".

That's pretty much a load of bull. I'm talking about animated sprites. I have access to animated GIFs of every single Pokemon's Gen. V. Most of the sprites of Gen 4 are not animated anyway, so they don't need to change. But saying "Oh, well why don't they just switch their browser," is crap. Firefox is great, but it's SLOW!

I'd be willing to replace most of the pictures of someone would show me how to do it.

It's not bull because we are talking about the sprites that are animated. Well, it's been decided that APNGs are to stay if you saw the last post. We're not forcing you to change browsers. Also, we don't need the .gifs. What we could use is some help uploading backsprites on the Archives, since you're willing to help, we need help as there isn't many people helping us.

Changing the bulbasaur

Ok so I'm new to the Bulbapedia, and was wondering if there was a way to change the animated gif of Bulbasaur next to the user name to something else. I don't really mind Bulbasaur but I would like to change it to something, like Pikachu!

Re: Changing the bulbasaur

Ok so I'm new to the Bulbapedia, and was wondering if there was a way to change the animated gif of Bulbasaur next to the user name to something else. I don't really mind Bulbasaur but I would like to change it to something, like Pikachu!

That would have to be done using the skin settings I believe. In other words, you would have to know the coding for doing so, and put it on User:YOURUSERNAME/monobook.css (I believe it's css, it might be another extension type though).

Add the following to your personal monobook ([bp]Special:Mypage/monobook.css[/bp]):

Code:
li#pt-userpage, li#pt-anonuserpage, li#pt-login {
background:transparent url(xxxxx) no-repeat scroll top left;
padding-left:22px;
}

Where xxxxx is the full url of an image.

Hopefully that should do the job.

I used to spend a lot of time on the HR*Wiki (http://hrwiki.org/) and was quite impressed by the transcripts of all the 'toons there.

Given how no Pokémon transcripts exist on the Internet, why can't we make some?

A lot of TV shows that are strict on redistributing video can be easily found transcripts of (including SNL and South Park), and I think that making transcripts or something for the anime can really be a big plus for Bulbapedia!

What do you think?

Add the following to your personal monobook ([bp]Special:Mypage/monobook.css[/bp]):

Code:
li#pt-userpage, li#pt-anonuserpage, li#pt-login {
background:transparent url(xxxxx) no-repeat scroll top left;
padding-left:22px;
}

Where xxxxx is the full url of an image.

Hopefully that should do the job.

I seen this and though I would try it. The image is showing up, but only the top half. (I'm using http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/fd/Ani555DMS.png)
How can this be fixed??

Hello, all. I am a first time poster, really, really long time lurker. I've been with you guys since...well since you opened. I'm the younger brother of Animelee, if you remember him.

Well, given that this is the correct place to put this, I found an interesting piece of information while watching NOVA just now. They had a small segment on cone snails (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conus), and I noticed a striking resemblance to two of the new Pokemon; Chobomaki and Chevargo/Shebarugo, and I'd like to share it with you all.

Conus is a large genus of snails and molluscs. The one they spotlighted specifically had a striking resemblance to Chobomaki. If you caught the episode of NOVA, you'd see that it has two tubes of flesh it uses to look around and smell/eat. It looks almost exactly like Chobomaki's mouth, as it is shaped like the cone snail's.

However, the similarities do not stop there. Chevargo (when Kaburumo steals Chobomaki's shell) has two harpoon/lance weapons...much like what members of conus use as their primary source of weaponry.

It may be a stretch, but I urge you to watch the videos of cone snails in action. Plus, it would not be the first time GAME FREAK used such obscure material.

What the purpose of this post is is to ask if it would be appropriate to consider adding this information to the Bulbapedia article for both Pokemon. It seems quite interesting!

Let me know!

Back
Top Bottom