• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Hullo! I have to say, I love Bulbapedia to pieces. It's my go-to!

I had a thought, though, looking at the page for Earthquake. Would it be possible to change the listings of the Pokémon who can learn a move to not include Pokémon from previous generations, unless there was a change? For example, with Earthquake, the list of Pokémon who could learn it in Gen 1 would stay the same, the Gen 2 list for level up would omit all the Gen 1 Pokémon save the Rhyhorn line, and the TM list would omit all the Gen 1 Pokémon save Aerodactyl, etc?

Or, in another line of thought, could you make it so, defaultly, only the latest generation is seen, and the rest have that handy lil 'hide' tag?

Some of these TM pages DO get kinda comically long.

Safari Zone Glitch

On the safari zone glitch page, there's a section for special warps and such. But I discovered another today that wasn't mentioned. If you time out at the entrance of Viridian Forest, you warp to the building on the side of the forest that can only be reached after you use cut. It wasn't a huge discovery, just figured it was interesting enough to be mentioned :)

Hullo! I have to say, I love Bulbapedia to pieces. It's my go-to!

I had a thought, though, looking at the page for Earthquake. Would it be possible to change the listings of the Pokémon who can learn a move to not include Pokémon from previous generations, unless there was a change? For example, with Earthquake, the list of Pokémon who could learn it in Gen 1 would stay the same, the Gen 2 list for level up would omit all the Gen 1 Pokémon save the Rhyhorn line, and the TM list would omit all the Gen 1 Pokémon save Aerodactyl, etc?

Or, in another line of thought, could you make it so, defaultly, only the latest generation is seen, and the rest have that handy lil 'hide' tag?

Some of these TM pages DO get kinda comically long.
That would be way too confusing. I have also heard that they can take a rather long time to load on Dial-up - which the show/hide wouldn't fix. What would be our best option would be to have it like the Pokémon's learnsets. I don't know where discussion of that got to though.

Re: transcripts.

I tried to do one of EP061, and having pretty much no transcripting abilities, captured maybe every third line. Not gonna work without a group effort that includes some skilled people.
Don't most episodes of Pokemon have Captions on the DVDs? If a transcript set was to be made, it would probably be easier to extract them straight from the DVDs, less effort needed plus less possible inaccuracy.

As Evkl has said, no trasncripts are to be posted anywhere on Bulbagarden until someone can prove definitively that 1) it is legal and 2) Nintendo won't consider it a breach of their intellectual property.

Because even if you manage to make it pass one of those, unless there is a guarantee that it also passes the other requirement it is too risky to be done.

Don't most episodes of Pokemon have Captions on the DVDs? If a transcript set was to be made, it would probably be easier to extract them straight from the DVDs, less effort needed plus less possible inaccuracy.
Actually, in some cases the CC doesn't always match up with the spoken line. This happens in DP quite a bit.

On the safari zone glitch page, there's a section for special warps and such. But I discovered another today that wasn't mentioned. If you time out at the entrance of Viridian Forest, you warp to the building on the side of the forest that can only be reached after you use cut. It wasn't a huge discovery, just figured it was interesting enough to be mentioned :)
Which page are you talking about? Link please. There is no page titled Safari Zone glitch.

That would be way too confusing. I have also heard that they can take a rather long time to load on Dial-up - which the show/hide wouldn't fix. What would be our best option would be to have it like the Pokémon's learnsets. I don't know where discussion of that got to though.
Alternately, we could use those javascript tabs. I have been told by someone who uses dialup that they work differently to the show/hide buttons, and only load when that section is viewed. Example.

EDIT:
As Evkl has said, no trasncripts are to be posted anywhere on Bulbagarden until someone can prove definitively that 1) it is legal and 2) Nintendo won't consider it a breach of their intellectual property.

Because even if you manage to make it pass one of those, unless there is a guarantee that it also passes the other requirement it is too risky to be done.
Does that mean the legality of [bp]Appendix:A Sneak Peek at Pokémon[/bp] is questionable? Or does it not matter since it was technically a commercial?

Last edited:
Where does Bulbapedia's adoption of the English names for the places come from? I do not know of them being officially confirmed. I think they might have been, but I don't know of the sources.

I remember that Jello was the one that helped with the confirmation for the new English names last night (I live on Pacific Time).

Someone that has an early copy of one of the English games is uploading a stream of them playing the game. That's where the names are coming from.

This is really more of a question, and I don't think it's really okay to open a thread just for a question. (Someone tell me if they know, so that I know in the future.)

Anyway, I've noticed that every Pokemon up to Stunfisk/Maggyo has had their pages moved to their English names. I know a few names have been confirmed from Elie's stream, but the question is, how are Conkeldurr, Seismitoad, and even Stunfisk (among others) seen at the third or fourth badge? Moreover, most of them haven't been properly edited to include their name on the actual page (apart from the title). Instead of saying:
Chandelure (Japanese: シャンデラ Shandera) is a dual-type Ghost/Fire Pokémon introduced in Generation V.

It evolves from Lampant when exposed to a Dusk Stone. It is the final form of Litwick.
...it just says...
(Japanese: シャンデラ Shandera) is a dual-type Ghost/Fire Pokémon introduced in Generation V.

It evolves from Ranpuraa when exposed to a Dusk Stone. It is the final form of Hitomoshi.
Are all of these names confirmed? Are all of these moves authorized?

Are all of these names confirmed? Are all of these moves authorized?

If you'll look closer, you'll see the moves have been made by italic people (i.e. Bulbapedia staff). So they're as authorized as authorized can be.

Also, everything cannot be changed in an instant, they'll get to those article texts eventually.

Ah. I was just a little confused by this sudden storm of names. I guess I'd better do some editing; I am a member of the 'Pedia, and all.

i believe i suggested this, to which you said you didnt want to do it...

I don't remember saying that, but that doesn't matter. Trom's got a Bulbanews article written which basically just refers users to Bulbapedia instead of having a page with every single English name.

On another note I would suggest that the administrators take down the protection or change protected articles to semi-protect regarding the Generation V stuff, because since everything is pretty much confirmed, the protection against speculation has served it's purpose, and unless if the administrators want to do it themselves, then it would be easier for them to change the protection settings.

Back
Top Bottom