• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Any work done on npc trainer lines of sight / movement patterns? Maybe I'm alone, but I think it could be an interesting article.
I'm also curious about the game system behind the random direction of the classic "dramatic praire dog" type.

Any work done on npc trainer lines of sight / movement patterns? Maybe I'm alone, but I think it could be an interesting article.
I believe this is unique to each individual Trainer. I've seen Trainers wo don't see you unless you're next to them, and others who will happily walk five tiles to battle you. If we know how to find it, perhaps we could add it to the Trainer template on the location pages.

I'm also curious about the game system behind the random direction of the classic "dramatic praire dog" type.
I have no idea what you're talking about. You're going to have to explain what classic "dramatic praire dog" type means.

I believe this is unique to each individual Trainer. I've seen Trainers wo don't see you unless you're next to them, and others who will happily walk five tiles to battle you. If we know how to find it, perhaps we could add it to the Trainer template on the location pages.
its a random setting that is programed into the game, per trainer. it isnt specific to a trainer class.

its a random setting that is programed into the game, per trainer. it isnt specific to a trainer class.

Yeah, seems to be like that.

I have no idea what you're talking about. You're going to have to explain what classic "dramatic praire dog" type means.
I mean the stationary type that turns to face a random direction rather than spinning around.
A few times I've seen them stand still for several minutes, my best guess being that they just happened to pick the same direction many times in a row.
Or maybe there's a random period of time between turns, in which case it would be cool to know the maximum and minimum periods.

Just responding to a few unresolved things.

I just got a swarm on Route 11 on White, and it's Paras. So that definitely means that Shroomish is exclusive to Black as others have noted seeing that there on Black. Could they both be added now?

0HKO moves have no effect on Pokémon with Sturdy. Horn Drill activated it and did nothing, so this page is incorrect.

I still think lambent should be added to Lampent's name origin. Means glowing, gleaming or flickering with a soft radiance, which fits.

Yeah, seems to be like that.

I mean the stationary type that turns to face a random direction rather than spinning around.
A few times I've seen them stand still for several minutes, my best guess being that they just happened to pick the same direction many times in a row.
Or maybe there's a random period of time between turns, in which case it would be cool to know the maximum and minimum periods.

Yeah, each individual Trainer is unique. Other than the fact that any Trainer who pivots faces you if you run through one of their lines of sight, I don't think there is any universal rule. And even if we did use the Trainer list on the location pages, it would be extremely complicated. I don't see this as a suggestion that would be practical to read or implement.

At best, I guess we could specify on the location pages what type of Trainer they are - stationary, pivot, walking, pivot walking, or interact-only. But again, I think this would just confuse more people than it helps.

To those claiming Sturdy still provides full immunity to OHKO moves; did you make sure to use a weak attack to deactivate its' Focus Sash effect first?

As for suggestions: Is there a way to make a series of icons to add to the [bp=Template:Trainerentry]Trainerentry template[/bp] for Double Battles, Triple/Rotation battles, and Multi Battles?

To those claiming Sturdy still provides full immunity to OHKO moves; did you make sure to use a weak attack to deactivate its' Focus Sash effect first?

Yes, just did it again. It did that same thing both times; came up with Sturdy's activation message, then says "It doesn't affect the wild Roggenrola..."

Sturdy still fully protects from OKHO moves.

EDIT: It was a level 40 Krabby using Guillotine against a Level 11 Roggenrola, in case anyone tries to insinuate that I used a lower level Pokémon.

Last edited:
Yeah, each individual Trainer is unique. Other than the fact that any Trainer who pivots faces you if you run through one of their lines of sight, I don't think there is any universal rule. And even if we did use the Trainer list on the location pages, it would be extremely complicated. I don't see this as a suggestion that would be practical to read or implement.

At best, I guess we could specify on the location pages what type of Trainer they are - stationary, pivot, walking, pivot walking, or interact-only. But again, I think this would just confuse more people than it helps.
actually, something implemented in Gen III, some trainers that look around, they will specifically target you if you are running so you literally cant run past them.

When you confront Team Plasma at their building in Castelia city, Gorm quotes a Proverb from Sun Tzu's Art of War.
Specifically, the last Verse of Chapter 3: Strategic Attack.

"If you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles."
At least, the quote is based on that.

I think I need to nudge this suggestion because it is needed - unless this is done, there is no way to separate those moves that hit all other Pokémon and those which only hit adjacent ones.
i have a simple suggestion...

the template for which attack hits who is kinda like this at present:

FOE FOE FOE
ALLY SELF ALLY

utterly pointless (don't quote this saying "what if you're in the middle!?!" seriously think before saying that - it's irrelevant)

the visual display tells you nothing about targets on the other side of the field and it needs to be like this:

FOE FOE FOE
SELF ALLY ALLY

that is all

awesome dude thanks for the bump & it did get done so thanks too to whoever implemented it :-D

one small thing though...

FOE FOE MISS
SELF ALLY MISS

^ something like this is needed if you can't hit opponents on the far side of the field - i noticed a couple of moves at a quick glance (Crunch & Flamethrower) were like this:

FOE FOE FOE
SELF ALLY ALLY

can they hit the pokemon on the opposite side? forgive me if they can & this has already been done but to my knowledge they can't & that's the reason i suggested it

thanks in advance dudes & keep up the good work on my favourite 'pedia! :)

In order for the parameters settings to actually make sense, it's had to be set so that the majority of the moves need to be changed. Moves like Flamethrower and Crunch haven't yet been updated and are still set to "any". For an example of one that is changed to "anyadjacent", check Volt Tackle.

In order for the parameters settings to actually make sense, it's had to be set so that the majority of the moves need to be changed. Moves like Flamethrower and Crunch haven't yet been updated and are still set to "any". For an example of one that is changed to "anyadjacent", check Volt Tackle.

disco!

excellent work dudes :-D

The sprite that's supposed to be shiny on the Cleffa page is normal oO
I'm talking about the 5th Gen one. The front sprite is regular but the back one is shiny.

Very very minor, but I noticed it so I might as well point it out.

Back
Top Bottom