• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

For some reason I cannot see the differences between revisions for Swords Dance. What is the problem?

I get that a lot too. I actually kept a list of all of the offending pages I found:
Rock Smash (move), Surf (move), Ace Trainer (Trainer class), Silph Co., Flash (move), Dig (move), Fighting Dojo, Cheren, Victory Road (Kanto), Rain Dance (move), Seafoam Islands, Theif (move), Thunder Wave (move), List of Pokémon by evolution family, List of Pokémon by body style

Any difs for me
I've noticed that it's always the pages that take longest to load, i.e. have the largest load size. (I note there's a lot of Gen I TM/HM moves on that list.) It's only been an issue, for me at least, since the wiki was unlocked after BW.

You can still view the diffs by going into your preferences and choosing not to display the page content below the diffs. A little less convenient, and somewhat annoying at times (IMO), but at least they load.

I just want to say that All Screenshots that are taken directly from the Anime or Movies will always suffer from Quality Loss regardless of being saved in PNG format.
So the Current Policy of "Submitting Anime and Movie Screenshots in PNG-Format Only" is considered Useless and a Grossly Inefficient Waste of Bulbapedia's Site Bandwidth.

Here's a Comparison to Close my argument:

DP136_Lookers_Elbow_Attack.png

The PNG File is a wasteful 219KB in size which is due to the vast spectrum of colors used in the Animation and produced by Quality Loss.

DP136_Lookers_Elbow_Attack.jpg

The JPG File is only 18.9KB in Size.
Although the image suffered additional Quality Loss, the fact that the source of the screenshot already has (and always will have) Quality Loss renders this a MOOT POINT. Not to mention that the additional loss of quality is hardly noticeable.

My proposed New Policy for Bulbapedia is this: "All Contributed Anime and Movie Screenshots must ALWAYS be in JPG-Format"

I just want to say that All Screenshots that are taken directly from the Anime or Movies will always suffer from Quality Loss regardless of being saved in PNG format.
So the Current Policy of "Submitting Anime and Movie Screenshots in PNG-Format Only" is considered Useless and a Grossly Inefficient Waste of Bulbapedia's Site Bandwidth.

Here's a Comparison to Close my argument:

DP136_Lookers_Elbow_Attack.png

The PNG File is a wasteful 219KB in size which is due to the vast spectrum of colors used in the Animation and produced by Quality Loss.

DP136_Lookers_Elbow_Attack.jpg

The JPG File is only 18.9KB in Size.
Although the image suffered additional Quality Loss, the fact that the source of the screenshot already has (and always will have) Quality Loss renders this a MOOT POINT. Not to mention that the additional loss of quality is hardly noticeable.

My proposed New Policy for Bulbapedia is this: "All Contributed Anime and Movie Screenshots must ALWAYS be in JPG-Format"

In normal view, they look fine. But when shrunken to thumbnail size, PNGs look better than JPGs. Says so in the Archives:FAQ.

In normal view, they look fine. But when shrunken to thumbnail size, PNGs look better than JPGs. Says so in the Archives:FAQ.

The Numbers don't lie. So I can Promise you this:
If we replace every Anime and Movie PNG with JPG's, Bulbapedia will regain MEGABYTES of Wasted Space which translates into less stress on the Servers.

The Numbers don't lie. So I can Promise you this:
If we replace every Anime and Movie PNG with JPG's, Bulbapedia will regain MEGABYTES of Wasted Space which translates into less stress on the Servers.

We don't really care for those image sizes, but we do care for the 3.2MB animations. That's a comparison for you.

Also, it's worth noting that on the whole Bulbapedia/Bulbagarden just don't take up that much server space, when you're counting up the bytes. Everything we have can, IIRC, fit on my iPod quite comfortably, in terms of data size. As Archaic said, server load is a much bigger issue than server space--a handful of modern hard drives could fit all of Wikipedia. Dishing out all that info to the people who want to see it is processor, not hard drive, intensive.

Sugimori shouldn't have even had to say so. Look at his sprite. It's blatant.

I don't think it's blatant. If it were blatant, there wouldn't have been any confusion. Have YOU ever seen a hat like that?

Things stated in secondary sources should have the source attached, with a link if the source is available online.

I didn't know that. Thank you. :)

Is there a plan to change the signature rules? Having very limited space to add things to a signature is annoying. :-(

Server space =/= server stress. A larger file size takes more bandwidth to serve to you, but we're not stressed for bandwidth, we're stressed for server load.

Well, okay.

Like I was saying, Screenshots will ALWAYS have Quality Loss so what's the point of having them strictly in PNG over JPG when there's almost no visual difference between them?

And yes, I've already read the FAQ which says: "because it looks better."
That is an aesthetic, self-defeating reason which makes it harder to avoid the 2MB limit.

Well, okay.

Like I was saying, Screenshots will ALWAYS have Quality Loss so what's the point of having them strictly in PNG over JPG when there's almost no visual difference between them?

And yes, I've already read the FAQ which says: "because it looks better."
That is an aesthetic, self-defeating reason which makes it harder to avoid the 2MB limit.

219KB is no where near 2MB to worry about.

Basculin's page still says that Rock Head is one of its standard abilities, but has anyone actually confirmed this yet? I think it is probably a Hidden Ability.

One way to confirm this would be to use an action replay to change the Rock Head Basculin's gender to female (since the traded one is always male) and breed it with another pokemon (barring Ditto) to see if the ability is passed on to the offspring (since you can do that with Hidden Abilities).

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Talk:Basculin_(Pokémon)#Rock_Head

Honestly, that is one of the most absurd reasons I've ever heard of.
Because having to worry about the appearance of thumbnails is undoubtedly a moot point.

Because having to worry about the appearance of thumbnails is undoubtedly a moot point.
Except that every image on every page of Bulbapedia is a thumbnail as far as the software is concerned. So it is far from a moot point.

Except that every image on every page of Bulbapedia is a thumbnail as far as the software is concerned. So it is far from a moot point.

This. Seriously. Have you not noticed that all of the images on Bulbapedia are shrunken down to thumbnail size?

EVERYTHING is in thumbnailed form at one point or another.

This. Seriously. Have you not noticed that all of the images on Bulbapedia are shrunken down to thumbnail size?

Sprites aren't thumbnailed.

Back
Top Bottom