• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Perhaps it would be more technically correct to say every non-sprite image is thumbnailed at some point.

Still, it's evident that thumbnails are important.

I'm surprised at what I'm seeing here.
I'm making an argument for efficiency, yet it's not going well just because it is clearly stated in the FAQ that screenshot PNGs are preferred over screenshot JPGs. So much so that it is treated like a regularly-enforced policy.

Because of that, I firmly believe that the FAQ is WRONG because that one policy sets an Example for Inefficiency.

There is little to no difference in visual quality between screenshot PNGs and screenshot JPGs, BOTH in full and thumbnail size, so why waste space with screenshot PNGs?
Why waste effort in saving and submitting screenshots in PNG and why waste more effort in enforcing that policy every time someone submits a screenshot JPG by deleting it and replacing it with a screenshot PNG?

There is a difference in the thumbnails and as many people have said, a lot of the images in the articles are thumbnails and it does effect the quality of said images. We prefer PNGs. It doesn't make us wrong. It doesn't take more effort to save in PNG as you are saying. Even if we were to replace all of them with JPGs, I don't want time being wasted uploading thousands of images all over again. There's your efficiency. As for size? There are PNG optimizers available.

I'm making an argument for efficiency, yet it's not going well just because it is clearly stated in the FAQ that screenshot PNGs are preferred over screenshot JPGs. So much so that it is treated like a regularly-enforced policy.

Because of that, I firmly believe that the FAQ is WRONG because that one policy sets an Example for Inefficiency.

There is little to no difference in visual quality between screenshot PNGs and screenshot JPGs, BOTH in full and thumbnail size, so why waste space with screenshot PNGs?
Why waste effort in saving and submitting screenshots in PNG and why waste more effort in enforcing that policy every time someone submits a screenshot JPG by deleting it and replacing it with a screenshot PNG?
As a site, in order to preserve quality it has been decided that all screenshots must be formatted using non-lossy compression. Any images using lossy compression do result in a noticable quality difference. When looking at anime pages, I can almost always tell when a screenshot is or has been converted from a jpg, even at a glance. And the difference in quality is not minor. There is not "little to no difference". And don't say that it's being deleted, converted and reuploaded. The admins are obtaining an original png from sites which allow us to use their images.

In this case, the Archives Advisory Council, effectively the highest power on the Archives, has decided that quality is vastly more important than filesize.

What I'm wondering is why are you continuing to waste effort on continuing the discussion? You had a suggestion. You raised your points. You were answered no, and given reasons why not. Accept it! The reasons that they're raising are valid. Please stop wasting everyone's time with this.

There's also a limit to how big the files can be. So the files won't reach a 17MB png file I had.

I've been thinking about what I just said. And upon reading the feedback here, I've realized that I've been thinking a little too far backwards with it.

Because of that, I ended up digging a hole for myself and I sincerely apologize for all the annoyance and offense it caused.
surrender.gif

Basculin's page still says that Rock Head is one of its standard abilities, but has anyone actually confirmed this yet? I think it is probably a Hidden Ability.

One way to confirm this would be to use an action replay to change the Rock Head Basculin's gender to female (since the traded one is always male) and breed it with another pokemon (barring Ditto) to see if the ability is passed on to the offspring (since you can do that with Hidden Abilities).

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Talk:Basculin_(Pokémon)#Rock_Head

I'm pretty sure it's neither a normal Ability nor a Hidden Ability. I think it's just an 'event' Ability - one that has been specifically designated rather than determined by the personality value.

Hello. I was just wondering if it would be easy to hide the Pokemon/moves/TM/HM lists from each generation for each category. The way it is now involves a lot of scrolling through previous generations of lists, so it might be good to add some way to clear up screen space for the info you're looking for. Something already like this is in the show/hide tag in the Table of Contents on each page, so it shouldn't be too hard to copy over the same function. I hope this is a useful suggestion.

I have a suggestion. Is it possible to put which DW abilities have been made available to the public? Because I had no idea that there were any that hadn't been released yet and, when I posted asking for some, it got moved to the hacked center because they hadn't been released. It would probably help with the confusion. I know I was confused. :p

Not sure where to put this so i'll just stick it here for now.

It was brought up that there seems to be some conflicting information between two pages. Roost, and Skarmory's moves through breeding section on Skarmory's page.

It stats on Skarmory's page that it learns Roost through breeding with the Pidgey line in both gen 4 and gen 5, while Roost's page stats that Skarmory may only learn Roost via TM in gen 4, and DW Skarmory, and not at all via breeding in gen 5.

A poster, named Emevk, here, stats that they tried breeding for a Skarmory with both Roost and Whirlwind, but that Skarmory was only coming out with Whirlwind despite their Pidgeot father having learned both moves prior to breeding. They did not state what gen they were breeding in but based on their results it would seem to be gen 5.

Would it be possible to have someone look into this?

Can the egg move template be updated to include a symbol (like a dagger/†) for moves that require TM use in a previous generation? This is really common in Black/White right now.

The problem with I am having with the new forum system is that when I post a visitor message, it does not show up on my screen and only when I created a separate tab and look at it from there the message is there. Also another problem is that I could unintentionally post numerous copies of the same message multiple times unknowingly.

The problem with I am having with the new forum system is that when I post a visitor message, it does not show up on my screen and only when I created a separate tab and look at it from there the message is there. Also another problem is that I could unintentionally post numerous copies of the same message multiple times unknowingly.

Wrong thread. You need to ask this in a BULBAGARDEN help forum, not a BULBAPEDIA help forum. Try the Garden Grotto.

hi....ummmm, well i found some info yeasterday about PokeBeach.com web site and some info on its web master http://www.newuniversity.org/2011/05/features/pokemon-jon-catches-them-all/.........yea...this is a random web site this showed up in my Google alerts("pokemon") yeasteryday but i dont have a Bulbapedia account so im not sure what to do with this info but a user told me to post it here...........if you could use this info, could you guys who work here, edit the Pokebeach.com fandom page that on Bulbapedia?.......i like to look around and learn about new things sometimes and well...i gess i got lucky.....thanks.

EDIT:i type that wrong, i ment to say that link that i gave you as you can see give info about PokeBeach's web master not seen on Bulbapedia........so i need some one who works at Bulbapedia the edit the Pokebeach.com fandom page on your wiki......sorry

Last edited:
Chatot's page mentions a few times that parrots can't understand what they say, but this is patently untrue. Anyone who owns a talking parrot can tell you that, and there's research to back it up (look up the Alex experiments and you'll see what I mean).

Back
Top Bottom