• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Okay, to start off. The Pedia is different than the forums. Can't just have your name changed whenever you feel like you want to go by a different name. I'm not sure if you'd even be allowed to, since you've only made 3 edits since last March. If you're never around to use the account, why bother trying to change your Pedia name? Just a thought.
It's not like I'm requesting to change it willy-nilly "whenever I feel like it"... Xenidal is the name I go by now (here and on other forums) and I'd prefer it be the same on Bulbapedia. I'm not asking for a name change on Bulbapedia every time I change my name on here (which I haven't done except that one time)... surely a one-time name change is possible.
And as for me not making many edits with it, that is true, but when I occassionally do use it then it'd be nice to go by the name I now use and not my old name. I guess it's not too big a deal but I'd still like a name change.
@Werdnae - you're an editor, so could you please do it (for the reason I just gave)?

Second, are you sure you really want to archive your page right now? You barely have anything on it. Most users won't make an archive page until it hits between 15-25 sections. But yes, it's against the rules to delete comments on most talk pages except under extreme circumstances (or if you figure out an answer to your own question within a few minutes of asking), but most of the time that will be an admin's job. It's not so much as "We don't want you doing it just because we say so" as it is a sort of record keeping of who said what, where they said it, and what it's a response to. Not all conversations take place on the same page, moving from an article's talk page, to a user's talk page, to somebody else's talk page when we're trying to figure stuff out. If half of those comments are deleted then it'd get very frustrating to try finding the details if something goes wrong.
Yeah, but all that stuff that's on my talk page is old (as in, the most recent post on that page was from March of last year). Maybe it's just me but I don't see the point in keeping useless clutter around that is no longer relevant (not even useful for "figuring out details of a conversation" since those conversations are long-since dead). If it were more recent I wouldn't care. But anyway, maybe I'll just archive it. Or leave it as it is, since I hardly use it.

Well, the Pokédex 3D Pro also says things like Ven-oʊ̯-mɑθ and Ven-oʊ̯-næt, unnaturally turning the second syllable of each from an unstressed "uh" to a falling "oh." I'd trust the most recent edition of the complete handbook (Ultimate) over an app that lists things like Char-MEAL-un, Po-NEE-tuh, and ILL-eck-trode.
Just so you know, I strongly disagree with a lot of that user's phonetic respellings of the Pokedex 3D Pro names (e.g. Charmeleon is undeniably 4 syllables in Pokedex 3D Pro, and is actually char-MEAL-ee-un). If we could put audio files on the wiki (which we can't for technical reasons) I would put both the Pokedex 3D Pro pronunciation and cry on articles.

Also, I wouldn't say that Venonat/Venomoth's Pokedex 3D Pro pronunciation is that unnatural. It's also partly as a result of the tone in which the speaker is saying all of the names.

I suggested in conjunction with, not over the official phonetics. If precision is an issue, we'd have to agree on a Handbook pronunciation first and then base the IPA on it. If you'd let me, I'd add the IPA text below it since I: can read IPA, am a phonetics enthusiast, always try to be perfectly accurate, have heard these names in plenty of English media to know what they are, and have read enough kids books to know what "Bell-LAHS-um" sounds like.
It's funny that you use Bellossom as an example, because the handbooks phonetically spell it bell-AWE-some. If there is a single objective way to render the phonetic respellings as IPA, I suppose that they could accompany it.

If arguments arise, or it proves to be problematic from the outset, we'll just stick with one of the official pronunciations. If multiple, I say we vote. Or, just omit that Pokémon's pronunciation until later publications/anime appearances/name-dropping consecutively confirm one (Kyurem comes to mind).
I think it is better to list all the pronunciations rather than voting on one.

If this is seriously being considered (please!), it would need its own thread.
It probably would. These posts could be split out of this thread into a new one, but I don't have mod powers here. I'm also not sure if it is necessary.

It's not like I'm requesting to change it willy-nilly "whenever I feel like it"... Xenidal is the name I go by now (here and on other forums) and I'd prefer it be the same on Bulbapedia. I'm not asking for a name change on Bulbapedia every time I change my name on here (which I haven't done except that one time)... surely a one-time name change is possible.
And as for me not making many edits with it, that is true, but when I occassionally do use it then it'd be nice to go by the name I now use and not my old name. I guess it's not too big a deal but I'd still like a name change.

Yeah, but all that stuff that's on my talk page is old (as in, the most recent post on that page was from March of last year). Maybe it's just me but I don't see the point in keeping useless clutter around that is no longer relevant (not even useful for "figuring out details of a conversation" since those conversations are long-since dead). If it were more recent I wouldn't care. But anyway, maybe I'll just archive it. Or leave it as it is, since I hardly use it.

I understand, it was just a general explanation since there are people who wouldn't understand why they can't change their name. I'd rather get that out of the way sooner than later, even if it isn't a problem with you. Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to discourage you from asking, by all means go ahead and ask~ I just wanted to let you know ahead of time why you might not be allowed to.

And basically, what I said for archiving your page was the same. Answering questions ahead of time, giving reasons as to why we have that rule... but honestly, I do know what you mean. My talk page is only used every half year or so, if even that much. Like with requesting for your name to be changed, go ahead and archive if you want. :) I'm not trying to stop you. I was just surprised that somebody wanted to archive when their talk has barely been used.

Sorry if my first answer seemed a little harsh, I just reread it and it comes across that way a little bit.

Okay, to start off. The Pedia is different than the forums. Can't just have your name changed whenever you feel like you want to go by a different name. I'm not sure if you'd even be allowed to, since you've only made 3 edits since last March. If you're never around to use the account, why bother trying to change your Pedia name? Just a thought.
@Werdnae - you're an editor, so could you please do it (for the reason I just gave)?

Can you leave a message on my talk page about this, so that I can be absolutely certain that I'm looking at the right account. I'd also appreciate it if you made a few more recent mainspace edits, it's actually a fair bit of work to rename a wiki account, and I'd need to know I'm not going to do it for the account to be basically abandoned.

I've noticed that, despite no actual policy, a lot of the Trivia entries that extend out of the pokemon universe and into other, real Life things get deleted. Often without a reason given. I know that sometimes, this is understandable when something is vague but...

Well in my case, my edit to the Gothita page pointed out that its dressed like Klaus Nomi. Because, you know, its dressed like Klaus Nomi. But this was deleted, without response to my justification for its inclusion. But I'm not looking for disupte resolution, just using it as an example. This happens quite a lot, it situations where its impossible to deny the connection.

Id really like to see a ruling on this, one way or another. Because it seems some people have taken it upon themselves to rid Bulbapedia of any such references, almost universally without stating why. In one case, the Trivia section was simply deleted without comment.

So yeah, please, tell us how this is supposed to work. What criteria are required for a non-pokemon reference within a pokemon game to be included in a Trivia section, and what should be avoided.

I've noticed that, despite no actual policy, a lot of the Trivia entries that extend out of the pokemon universe and into other, real Life things get deleted. Often without a reason given. I know that sometimes, this is understandable when something is vague but...

Well in my case, my edit to the Gothita page pointed out that its dressed like Klaus Nomi. Because, you know, its dressed like Klaus Nomi. But this was deleted, without response to my justification for its inclusion. But I'm not looking for disupte resolution, just using it as an example. This happens quite a lot, it situations where its impossible to deny the connection.

Id really like to see a ruling on this, one way or another. Because it seems some people have taken it upon themselves to rid Bulbapedia of any such references, almost universally without stating why. In one case, the Trivia section was simply deleted without comment.

So yeah, please, tell us how this is supposed to work. What criteria are required for a non-pokemon reference within a pokemon game to be included in a Trivia section, and what should be avoided.

I have a proposed trivia policy if you want to look at it, however, don't take it as official.

Also, Gothita looks nothing like Klaus. nothing. It is pure opinion.

To put what Force Fire said more broadly: opinions are not permitted in articles. As for the relevant policy, this is found below the editing box:
Please only submit information you know to be accurate, and adhere to a neutral point of view. Do not misrepresent rumors, misconceptions or opinions as fact.

I like the idea of size comparison

Comparison of Pokemon to trainers? Or did I miss a post from the past few pages?

That's a cool idea, but unfortunately GameFreak took out the size comparison feature from the Gen. V Pokedex, so we'd only have the Dex up to Arceus covered.

Some broken images on older news articles were being fixed. Because of the way the story picker works, this has resulted in it getting a bit confused. It should come right on its own.

Looks like the server problems are starting to happen again since I am sure that X and Y are drawing all the attention, I hope these problems can go away as soon as they can, since it would be difficult to edit or even preview my work. In addition the search engine is not working properly

Looks like the server problems are starting to happen again since I am sure that X and Y are drawing all the attention, I hope these problems can go away as soon as they can, since it would be difficult to edit or even preview my work. In addition the search engine is not working properly
That had no effect!
What's the matter, Server?
Is it down for the count?

SnorlaxMonster, why do you say that we should use, for example, "Ice types" instead of "Ice-types" when referring to Ice-type Pokémon? It causes even more confusion than simply using "Ice-type" as both an adjective and noun. In [bp]BW081[/bp], for example, there is this line: "Nurse Joy says that all the affected Pokémon are Electric and Ground types." Now it could mean that all Electric-types and all Ground-types are affected, or only Electric/Ground Pokémon are affected. Before, the line "Nurse Joy says that all the affected Pokémon are Electric- and Ground-types" was less interpretive.

Furthermore, serebii, pokemondb, and bulbapedia itself have traditionally used "[Type]-types." It's pretty common in the fanbase as a whole. I don't get why you've made this judgment, SnorlaxMonster, but I think we should just stick with how it's been referred to... and how countless BP articles—each of which would have to be edited—have as well.

SnorlaxMonster, why do you say that we should use, for example, "Ice types" instead of "Ice-types" when referring to Ice-type Pokémon? It causes even more confusion than simply using "Ice-type" as both an adjective and noun. In [bp]BW081[/bp], for example, there is this line: "Nurse Joy says that all the affected Pokémon are Electric and Ground types." Now it could mean that all Electric-types and all Ground-types are affected, or only Electric/Ground Pokémon are affected. Before, the line "Nurse Joy says that all the affected Pokémon are Electric- and Ground-types" was less interpretive.

Furthermore, serebii, pokemondb, and bulbapedia itself have traditionally used "[Type]-types." It's pretty common in the fanbase as a whole. I don't get why you've made this judgment, SnorlaxMonster, but I think we should just stick with how it's been referred to... and how countless BP articles—each of which would have to be edited—have as well.
Since the message was addressed directly to me, it probably would have been better to contact to me on my talk page, but anyway...

This is not something I have just made up. This is the way it is officially. It's also not only something on my [bp=User:SnorlaxMonster/Pokémon Syntax]Pokémon Syntax[/bp] page, but something I put there when I started it and one of the main reasons for starting it. This has been being changed since 2011.

Now since you probably want some examples, here's a perfect example of correct hyphenation from Ruby and Sapphire:
For example, your TREECKO is a GRASS type.
It's strong against the WATER and GROUND types.
But, it's weak against FIRE-type POKéMON.

For example, your TORCHIC is a FIRE type.
It's strong against the GRASS and BUG types.
But, it's weak against WATER-type POKéMON.

For example, your MUDKIP is a WATER type.
It's strong against the FIRE type.
But, it's weak against GRASS-type
and ELECTRIC-type POKéMON.

Here's an example from Generation V:
Cress said:
That is correct! It shall be I and my esteemed Water types that you must face in battle!

As for how to format dual-typed Pokemon:
FireRed and LeafGreen said:
BIRD/WATER-type POKéMON match poorly against the ELECTRIC type.

I have a suggestion.

I recently visited the M15 article and saw this: "In Japanese theaters, M15 is featured with the Pikachu short PK24."

And on the PK24 page I saw this: "...is the 24th Pikachu short of the Pokémon anime. It aired alongside M15."
While I bit further down, in the Trivia section, I read: "This was the first Pikachu short released alongside a movie since Gotta Dance.", where PK12 was refered by name.

If this is all because of "lazyness" or if this is already implemented then I'm sorry, but I'd suggest we using full names of movies, episodes, Pikachu shorts etc everywhere, cause I don't think abbreviations like "M15", "PK24" or "BW023" in articles is that fitting on a wiki.

I have a suggestion.

I recently visited the M15 article and saw this: "In Japanese theaters, M15 is featured with the Pikachu short PK24."

And on the PK24 page I saw this: "...is the 24th Pikachu short of the Pokémon anime. It aired alongside M15."
While I bit further down, in the Trivia section, I read: "This was the first Pikachu short released alongside a movie since Gotta Dance.", where PK12 was refered by name.

If this is all because of "lazyness" or if this is already implemented then I'm sorry, but I'd suggest we using full names of movies, episodes, Pikachu shorts etc everywhere, cause I don't think abbreviations like "M15", "PK24" or "BW023" in articles is that fitting on a wiki.

It is not actual due to "lazyness" there is method behind this madness. In theory there should be no (or very few) instances in the case of BW023 being used and it instead should be seen as Battling For The Love of Bug-Types! (with the English episode name in italics), the only exception I can think of is when used in infoboxes or other templates, such as the voice acting one.

The key phrase above being English name, due to different ways of translating some words in the Japanese-English language gap the epicodes are used. Gotta Dance is referred to by name as it has an English name, M15 and PK24, as well as the most recent BW episodes and a fair amount of the manga don't have actual English names and as such use their epicodes instead.

For more infiormation see Bulbapedia: Epicode.

Back
Top Bottom