• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

I am really sorry if this is the inappropriate place to be posting this; but after many years of using Bulbapedia and being part of the BMG community in general, I have finally made my first (albeit minor) edit to Bulbapeda - and a fire has been lit inside me to help out as much as possible!

I'm new at this wiki-editing thing, so please be gentle with me. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can go to find a list of things needing done etc.? Give me your most trivial and mind-numbing of tasks, I will get right on that.

Thanks in advance.

there's a spelling error in Braviary's Name origin. 2 'r's in Wargle instead of one in the last sentence.
*picky*

I am really sorry if this is the inappropriate place to be posting this; but after many years of using Bulbapedia and being part of the BMG community in general, I have finally made my first (albeit minor) edit to Bulbapeda - and a fire has been lit inside me to help out as much as possible!

I'm new at this wiki-editing thing, so please be gentle with me. Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can go to find a list of things needing done etc.? Give me your most trivial and mind-numbing of tasks, I will get right on that.

Thanks in advance.

There's a to-do list here, but it's not exactly maintained. There's a current on-going task regarding the way we format event distributions, but it's not really an entry-level task. Your best bet is to find some [bp=Category:Stubs]stubs[/bp] and expand them. Most projects have their own [bp=Category:project to-do lists]to-do lists[/bp] as well, but again, they're typically not maintained that well. There are plenty of location articles with very short or no anime sections, and many in need of screenshots; I've ensured that all the examples listed on [bp]Bulbapedia:project Anime/To-do list[/bp] are up to date. If you're into the manga, there are plenty of pages that need info on that too. Games have plenty of stuff to do as well (particularly spin offs).

there's a spelling error in Braviary's Name origin. 2 'r's in Wargle instead of one in the last sentence.
*picky*
Warrgle's meant to have two rr's in it, so it's not an error.

oh then it's the japanese title that needs to be changed, right?

The official romanization of the Japanese name is listed as "Warrgle" on the page. Is there some other instance you are referring to?

There are a few errors:

-In the page describing Honey, it says "A wild Combee also has a 50% chance of holding a unit of Honey when captured." but in Combee's page and wild held item page it says Combee has a %100 chance of holding Honey.

-In Mantyke's trivia it states "With a catch rate of 25, Mantyke is third only to the Beldum evolutionary family and Volcarona as the most difficult non-legendary to catch. This makes it more difficult to capture than Dialga or Palkia (25 in comparison to 30)." In no other Pokémon's trivia page with 25 catch rate is this mentioned, nor any of the other Pokémon with 25 catch rate are mentioned here.

-In Cacturne's page it says "Despite Cacturne being a nocturnal Pokémon, it can be found in the wild at any time in Diamond and Pearl.
This is rectified in Pokémon Platinum, as it is only available during the morning or night." whereas in Route 228's page it says Cacturne's encounter rate is the same as D/P's.

There are a few errors:

-In the page describing Honey, it says "A wild Combee also has a 50% chance of holding a unit of Honey when captured." but in Combee's page and wild held item page it says Combee has a %100 chance of holding Honey.

-In Mantyke's trivia it states "With a catch rate of 25, Mantyke is third only to the Beldum evolutionary family and Volcarona as the most difficult non-legendary to catch. This makes it more difficult to capture than Dialga or Palkia (25 in comparison to 30)." In no other Pokémon's trivia page with 25 catch rate is this mentioned, nor any of the other Pokémon with 25 catch rate are mentioned here.

-In Cacturne's page it says "Despite Cacturne being a nocturnal Pokémon, it can be found in the wild at any time in Diamond and Pearl.
This is rectified in Pokémon Platinum, as it is only available during the morning or night." whereas in Route 228's page it says Cacturne's encounter rate is the same as D/P's.
All fixed. Cacturne is more common at night in DPPt, but I don't think that is necessary to note anyway.

Since many main characters' Pokémon's genders weren't known until late in the franchise, with what pronoun should we refer to them? For instance, Pikachu's gender wasn't definitively known until [bp]DP142[/bp]. As I see it, here are our options:
1. Refer to all Pokémon as "it/its."
2. Refer to all Pokémon whose genders are known by the corresponding pronouns: "he/his/him" and "she/hers/her."
3. Option 2, but only after the point of the anime when it is made known. For example, "Pikachu hit its toe" before DP142 and "Pikachu hit his toe" afterward.

1 is woefully ignorant and depersonalizing to the Pokémon, 2 may seem confusing to those who didn't already know the Pokémon's gender, and 3 seems difficult to enforce (expecting people to know when a Pokémon's gender was confirmed).
I vote for 2, since the information is being revealed, not made. Pikachu was always male, so this should apply retroactively*.

*In the unlikely event that the gender-changing Azurill scenario comes up in the anime, we'll deal with it accordingly. I'm joking. Please laugh.

We currently do 2. Some people may be confused if they aren't up to that part of the anime, but then there are genders only confirmed in the Japanese version (e.g. Ash's Krookadile) which we still note everywhere. It's how everything else works anyway; if we get new information that affects how we perceive old information, we interpret the old information with the new knowledge. Just because we have a character of the day's name doesn't necessarily mean it was mentioned in the episode - we get plenty from subtitles/CC, Pokemon.com summaries, and merchandise.

This of course is a different issue to evolutions, where rather than being information about the character that was true in the past, they are now in a different state.

I know this isn't that big of a deal at all, but its kind of been bugging me. (My OCD doesn't help).

List of Best Wishes series episodes - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

-The Section where list of episodes has been continually updated with new titles, but the main picture for each title hasn't been updated for a few weeks. The specific ones are BW108, 110 and 111.

Sorry if this is a stupid thing to post haha, just something I noticed and has been messing with me. Thanks!

I know this isn't that big of a deal at all, but its kind of been bugging me. (My OCD doesn't help).

List of Best Wishes series episodes - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

-The Section where list of episodes has been continually updated with new titles, but the main picture for each title hasn't been updated for a few weeks. The specific ones are BW108, 110 and 111.

Sorry if this is a stupid thing to post haha, just something I noticed and has been messing with me. Thanks!

Just letting you know that we've seen this and are looking into it

Gen V isn't the only gen with differences between games concerning moves at different levels. The differences are in how they're displayed. Differences between RB and Y, DP and PtHGSS, maybe even DPPt and HGSS, and RSE and FRLG exist. Some might not be widely different (Gen III!Charmander), but some really are (Gen I!Pikachu, Gen IV!Forretress, the dragon trio). Can we make it standard practice to give the Gen V move table set-up to all games?

Last edited:
I'm here to report a slight writing error about Skyla's Bulbapedia page : her japanese name is mispelt "Huuro", while it should spell "Fuuro".

I was considering splitting the Appearance sections of the Trainer class articles by sprites (Main games) and mugshots/models - labeled artwork (Stadiums, Orre games). Something like this.

==Appearance==
===Sprites===
===Artwork===

What do you guys think?

Can Bulbapedia having a Pokemon's reception section like here? Sorry if this was mentioned before.
That's more subjective trivia, and Bulbapedia is generally about cold, hard facts. In my opinion (which is coincidentally what you've proposed adding), it doesn't add anything meaningful to the Pokémon's profile.
However, a brief little section detailing what players typically use the Pokémon for might be useful. Whether it's battling tiers, in-game benefit (Ditto for breeding, Zigzagoon for Pickup), or usefulness as an HM slave, there are numerous trivia we could put about how the Pokémon are actually used by players.

Can Bulbapedia having a Pokemon's reception section like here? Sorry if this was mentioned before.
That's more subjective trivia, and Bulbapedia is generally about cold, hard facts. In my opinion (which is coincidentally what you've proposed adding), it doesn't add anything meaningful to the Pokémon's profile.
However, a brief little section detailing what players typically use the Pokémon for might be useful. Whether it's battling tiers, in-game benefit (Ditto for breeding, Zigzagoon for Pickup), or usefulness as an HM slave, there are numerous trivia we could put about how the Pokémon are actually used by players.
theres might be something to it actually. Wikipedia is also strict about facts, and there they have it, complete with references.
your comment about tiers though, thats much harder as tiers are subjective. i wouldnt rule it out thought.

Back
Top Bottom