• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

What about the idea of adding shiny pokemon differences? Like gender differences.

All they would need to do is scroll down to where we show the different sprites. The only actual difference in shininess is the color, so it doesn't need its own section.

I really think Bulbapedia should reconsider EP081 placing. It honestly should be put into Season 2, Adventures in the Orange Islands, not in Season 1, Indigo Legaue.

How about adding a navigation bar at the top of the movie articles like the Pikachu shorts and Pokémon articles?

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, because this is the first time I post on the Bulbawiki forums, but I hate how they're using Red/Blue artworks as the profile picture for all Pokémon from Generation 1. Those artworks are ugly as hell. I think they should have the most recently released piece of artwork.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, because this is the first time I post on the Bulbawiki forums, but I hate how they're using Red/Blue artworks as the profile picture for all Pokémon from Generation 1. Those artworks are ugly as hell. I think they should have the most recently released piece of artwork.

It's because it's the anniversary of the release of Red and Green.

And how long is it going to be like that? The whole month? D:

Anniversary art is set to only appear on the anniversary day, via UTC. Since it's no longer February 27th in UTC, the artwork for Bulbasaur through Mew will revert immediately as the articles re-cache themselves.

Anniversary art is set to only appear on the anniversary day, via UTC. Since it's no longer February 27th in UTC, the artwork for Bulbasaur through Mew will revert immediately as the articles re-cache themselves.

Oh, thank God. I already saw it. That's kind of cool, but isn't it a little weird? I don't know, we could celebrate anniversaries somehow else, maybe organizing a Kanto only tournament? Well, that's up to you. Thanks for answering :)

Is the 5th Generation sprites and Emerald/4th Generation backsprites supposed to be animated? I don't see the Barry template for any of them.

Edit: Here's the Barry template if nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
I really think Bulbapedia should reconsider EP081 placing. It honestly should be put into Season 2, Adventures in the Orange Islands, not in Season 1, Indigo Legaue.
It really depends if you believe the opening from the original airing or the DVDs. And really, I think it makes more sense to follow the DVDs.

Oh, thank God. I already saw it. That's kind of cool, but isn't it a little weird? I don't know, we could celebrate anniversaries somehow else, maybe organizing a Kanto only tournament? Well, that's up to you. Thanks for answering :)
There's an official Kanto-only tournament on now for Japanese players. Anyway, Bulbapedia doesn't organize tournaments - that's a forums things. The artwork switch also lets us use the artwork which typically doesn't get used.

Is the 5th Generation sprites and Emerald/4th Generation backsprites supposed to be animated? I don't see the Barry template for any of them.

Edit: Here's the Barry template if nobody knows what I'm talking about.
Currently, only Crystal and Emerald frontsprites are animated gifs. Everything else is a png file, which only browsers like Firefox or Chrome (with the extension "APNG") can view animated. Emerald's entry backsprite animations are hardly worth having since they're just the Pokémon's static sprites bobbing right and left.

If you don't see animated a sprite that should be animated, either your browser does not animate png images (requiring the Nate/Rosa template), or one has not yet been uploaded (requiring the Barry template).

I knew about the animated pngs, I meant that the pages for 5th gen sprites like this and 4th gen backsprites like this doesn't have the Barry template for some reason.

Last edited:
It's simply because the animated version hasn't replaced it yet. When someone can get an animated sprite of it, it will replace it. For now, the static sprites are what we got.

I knew about the animated pngs, I meant that the pages for 5th gen sprites like this and 4th gen backsprites like this doesn't have the Barry template for some reason.
I see. I'll go ahead and put Barry on those pages. If there are any others, please list them.
So I don't think any of the Gen IV or V back sprites have the {{animated}} template (except for the D/P Duskull I just did), so that's 1142 image files (1-473 in Gen IV and 1-649 in Gen V) I don't plan to tackle.
As for front sprites, not too many are animated png's. That's another 1142 image files needing review.

So I just did the two you requested, Gen IV Duskull back and Gen V Duskull front.

Last edited:
I see. I'll go ahead and put Barry on those pages. If there are any others, please list them.
So I don't think any of the Gen IV or V back sprites have the {{animated}} template (except for the D/P Duskull I just did), so that's 1142 image files (1-473 in Gen IV and 1-649 in Gen V) I don't plan to tackle.
As for front sprites, not too many are animated png's. That's another 1142 image files needing review.

So I just did the two you requested, Gen IV Duskull back and Gen V Duskull front.

You missed the shiny sprites. Regarding the 5th Gen sprites, can the sprites in this site be used in Bulbapedia? But those sprites are in GIF format, not PNG format.

Also is there a difference between BW and BW2 sprites? I see there's another link in that site hosted BW sprites.

Sorry if this caused too much work for you.

Last edited:
You missed the shiny sprites. Regarding the 5th Gen sprites, can the sprites in this site be used in Bulbapedia? But those sprites are in GIF format, not PNG format.

Also is there a difference between BW and BW2 sprites? I see there's another link in that site hosted BW sprites.

Sorry if this caused too much work for you.
Duskull is all done: shiny, front, back, everything.

I would actually suggest Armaina—it's what I used for my Best Sprites of Each Pokémon series. The Armaina sprites' framerates aren't awfully slow like on Pokecheck.
I agree with you—animated sprites should be GIFs. Few users can even see PNGs animated, and PNG sprite animations are much harder to come by. The admins have their reasons, I suppose.

B2W2 provided different animations for some of the Pokémon. I don't know if it was just some of the Unova ones, all of them, plus some of the foreign Pokémon also present in the games, or all of those as well.

Duskull was no trouble, but I just don't see myself doing the rest. I'd rather go find the animated images (estimated date of completion: AD 2043) rather than slap on a redundant template to thousands of image files.

Last edited:
Regarding this page:

I tried to get the bottom card (Plasma Energy) to work, but whenever I tried adding anything beyond the third Japanese expansion, it would give me this error:

Template:Tcg Energy color light (edit)

...in all of the empty cells. I tried only adding the fourth Japanese extention, and I tried adding all of them, but it didn't work. The following line is what should be the full line for the Plasma Energy card.

{{cardlist/entry|cardname={{TCG ID|Plasma Storm|Plasma Energy|127}}|type=Energy|energy=Colorless|enset=Plasma Storm|enrarity=Uncommon|ennum=127/135|jpset=Plasma Gale|jprarity=Uncommon|jpnum=067/070|jpset2=Team Plasma's Powered Half Deck|jpnum2=017/017|jpset3=Black Kyurem-EX Battle Strength Deck|jpnum3=018/018|jpset4=White Kyurem-EX Battle Strength Deck|jpnum4=018/018|jpset5=Team Plasma Battle Gift Set|jpnum5=016/016|jpset6=Spiral Force|jprarity6=Uncommon|jpnum6=051/051|jpset7=Thunder Knuckle|jprarity7=Uncommon|jpnum7=051/051}}

Back
Top Bottom