• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Suggestions, ideas, and problems

Should information templates relating to Marill, Jigglypuff, and Gardevoir (i.e. [bp]Jigglypuff (anime)[/bp], [bp]Tracey's Marill[/bp]) be changed to feature Fairy-type colors?

[bp=Ethan (anime)]Ethan[/bp]'s Magnemite only use Electric colors. I suggest we keep anime Pokemon using the types they were at the time, until they appear in the anime again.

Basically, unless they mention the Fairy type in the anime, I don't think we should use Fairy for anime Pokemon until the X and Y anime.

Should information templates relating to Marill, Jigglypuff, and Gardevoir (i.e. [bp]Jigglypuff (anime)[/bp], [bp]Tracey's Marill[/bp]) be changed to feature Fairy-type colors?

[bp=Ethan (anime)]Ethan[/bp]'s Magnemite only use Electric colors. I suggest we keep anime Pokemon using the types they were at the time, until they appear in the anime again.

Basically, unless they mention the Fairy type in the anime, I don't think we should use Fairy for anime Pokemon until the X and Y anime.

Based on that, I would assume we do not need to update [bp]Jigglypuff (Super Smash Bros.)[/bp] until she is confirmed for the new games?

Based on that, I would assume we do not need to update [bp]Jigglypuff (Super Smash Bros.)[/bp] until she is confirmed for the new games?
I like this idea.

Hello there!
Recently I've been doing some gen I Pokemon Red and Blue debugging and I noticed there is a recurrent error in Bulbapedia concerning gen I encounter rates. For example, in Pokemon Blue, the encounter data for Viridian Forest is like this:
Lv.4 Caterpie, Lv.5 Metapod, Lv.3 Caterpie, Lv.5 Caterpie, Lv.4 Metapod, Lv.6 Metapod, Lv.4 Kakuna, Lv.3 Weedle, Lv.3 Pikachu, Lv.5 Pikachu.
The probabilities for each encounter slot in R/B are: 20%/20%/15%/10%/10%/10%/5%/5%/4%/1%.
Summing up the probabilities gives: Caterpie 45%, Metapod 40%, Kakuna 5%, Weedle 5%, Pikachu 5%.
Yet, the wiki says it's Caterpie 50%, Metapod 35%.
The same applies to other wiki entries. Is there a way I can help update those articles? If someone wishes to verify it by himself, I can provide ROM addresses (or assembly dumps) to the subroutines responsible for encounter generation and the encounter table in Pokemon R/B

Hello there!
Recently I've been doing some gen I Pokemon Red and Blue debugging and I noticed there is a recurrent error in Bulbapedia concerning gen I encounter rates. For example, in Pokemon Blue, the encounter data for Viridian Forest is like this:
Lv.4 Caterpie, Lv.5 Metapod, Lv.3 Caterpie, Lv.5 Caterpie, Lv.4 Metapod, Lv.6 Metapod, Lv.4 Kakuna, Lv.3 Weedle, Lv.3 Pikachu, Lv.5 Pikachu.
The probabilities for each encounter slot in R/B are: 20%/20%/15%/10%/10%/10%/5%/5%/4%/1%.
Summing up the probabilities gives: Caterpie 45%, Metapod 40%, Kakuna 5%, Weedle 5%, Pikachu 5%.
Yet, the wiki says it's Caterpie 50%, Metapod 35%.
The same applies to other wiki entries. Is there a way I can help update those articles? If someone wishes to verify it by himself, I can provide ROM addresses (or assembly dumps) to the subroutines responsible for encounter generation and the encounter table in Pokemon R/B

By editing the articles? They are organised in templates, if you have it open in two windows you should be able to see what change will influence which part, just make sure you preview to check it hasn't broken anything and then put in your edit summary where you got the info

Oh, I thought only moderators can edit wiki (I don't know why I thought that. It would be the exact opposite of what a wiki is). Never mind then, I've already created an account and will correct the pages soon.

Question 1

I have question in regard to formatting of titles of media. I know that the titles of print media, film, and television program titles should be italicized (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Titanic, The Simpsons), but chapters of a book and episodes of a TV show should be in quotes ("The Boy Who Lived", "The Mysterious Voyage of Our Homer"). What are Bulbapedia's policies? Here we have a section of an article that italicizes both movie and episode titles, but not manga titles, which go completely unformatted.

The same questions applies to blurbs, section names, etc. For instance, one caption of a manga image says "Ash in Ash and Pikachu". Doesn't make much sense, right? Well, the manga is called Ash and Pikachu, and the image is of the character Ash. You see what I mean.

Question 2

Why on pages like these do we list the forms of Pokémon? How do forms have any bearing on breeding, let alone identifying the species? Wouldn't it make sense to just list the regular form of the Pokémon in such lists, and only include the other form(s) when it's relevant? For example, in a list of stats (when the form has different stats) or typing (when the form changes the Pokémon's type).

Last edited:
Why don't the gen VI pokémon pages list the moves we already know they can learn? I remember for gen IV they used to be listed.

Question 1

I have question in regard to formatting of titles of media. I know that the titles of print media, film, and television program titles should be italicized (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Titanic, The Simpsons), but chapters of a book and episodes of a TV show should be in quotes ("The Boy Who Lived", "The Mysterious Voyage of Our Homer"). What are Bulbapedia's policies? Here we have a section of an article that italicizes both movie and episode titles, but not manga titles, which go completely unformatted.

The same questions applies to blurbs, section names, etc. For instance, one caption of a manga image says "Ash in Ash and Pikachu". Doesn't make much sense, right? Well, the manga is called Ash and Pikachu, and the image is of the character Ash. You see what I mean.

Question 2

Why on pages like these do we list the forms of Pokémon? How do forms have any bearing on breeding, let alone identifying the species? Wouldn't it make sense to just list the regular form of the Pokémon in such lists, and only include the other form(s) when it's relevant? For example, in a list of stats (when the form has different stats) or typing (when the form changes the Pokémon's type).

On your first point. Any form of media (episodes, manga, seasons, songs etc.) should be italicized. Same goes for any other non-Pokémon related shows.

On your second point. Not really sure about that. I think it's there to show the different forms. Other than that, I have no idea why they're there.

Why don't the gen VI pokémon pages list the moves we already know they can learn? I remember for gen IV they used to be listed.

Because we don't know what levels they can learn it.

On your first point. Any form of media (episodes, manga, seasons, songs etc.) should be italicized. Same goes for any other non-Pokémon related shows.

On your second point. Not really sure about that. I think it's there to show the different forms. Other than that, I have no idea why they're there.
1. Well, in proper English, TV episodes, manga chapters, and song titles should be in quotes, but... I suppose most people don't know that, so italicizing all of the things would be simpler.

2. I guess the person who makes a list really just copies the wikicode from another list, so the whole set of Pokémon + forms is carried along.
Then, may I remove the alternate forms in such lists where they are irrelevant? It's just needless clutter. I'll make sure the tables aren't messed up from my editing.

Can't you just put like a question mark instead of the level they learn it? You can even do it without a template and say something like "Skrelp's current known moves are Crabhammer and Swords Dance." Every other site does it, I don't see why bulbapedia would be the only one that insists on withholding known information from the reader.

Can't you just put like a question mark instead of the level they learn it? You can even do it without a template and say something like "Skrelp's current known moves are Crabhammer and Swords Dance." Every other site does it, I don't see why bulbapedia would be the only one that insists on withholding known information from the reader.
I would personally prefer this. The more information the better.

Don't mind me. Just randomly dropping in.

Why don't we add audio clips for Pokémon cries in their main biographical information pages? I'm pretty surprised they aren't there already. We could add them next to the "EXP.at Lv. 100" header, (or at the bottom or something,) since unlike everything else around it, it takes up all the space left and right to it. Plus it's at the top where I'd think cries would go. So it might look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/sAmzp1V.png

I'm not 100% keen on that design by the way. The aesthetics isn't the point. My point is why don't we do it? Surely it wouldn't be that hard to do once we had the audio files. I'd volunteer to do it myself if I learned how and everyone was alright with it.

Don't mind me. Just randomly dropping in.

Why don't we add audio clips for Pokémon cries in their main biographical information pages? I'm pretty surprised they aren't there already. We could add them next to the "EXP.at Lv. 100" header, (or at the bottom or something,) since unlike everything else around it, it takes up all the space left and right to it. Plus it's at the top where I'd think cries would go. So it might look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/sAmzp1V.png

I'm not 100% keen on that design by the way. The aesthetics isn't the point. My point is why don't we do it? Surely it wouldn't be that hard to do once we had the audio files. I'd volunteer to do it myself if I learned how and everyone was alright with it.

We attempted to do cries on the species articles a few years back, and all it did was cause the wiki to crash. Attempting to implement them again is extremely low on the priority list now.

Why don't we add audio clips for Pokémon cries in their main biographical information pages?
Surely it wouldn't be that hard to do once we had the audio files.

I have downloaded all of the game cries, so availability isn't an issue. I wish we had them on the Pokémon's articles (like Psypokes does), but the staff don't care much for the idea. If someone can get the template ready, and the admins would greenlight it, I'd gradually upload and put the files where they should go.

But there's still the crashing issue. Is there any way to maybe prevent that from happening this time?

Why are Pokemon pages like Xerneas and Yveltal, who now have a lot of information revealed, still locked, when Kalos, which we still know very little about, is not? Actually, why are Pokemon pages locked at all when other articles detailing Gen VI are not? I suppose it is to prevent vandalism and false information, but why not lock everything instead (or unlock everything instead)? Or semi-lock them (so only certain type of users can edit them, like autoconfirmed users and above or something)?

Anyway, what I kind of wanted to get to was that Xerneas Physiology section contains false information and I'd like to edit that out, but well, I can't.

They are locked to not allow users to add false information and speculation. The Kalos page is actually protected to not allow new users to edit it, though I think it should be protected to allow only admins.

Back
Top Bottom